Column sizes in Commander View

If I am running a Commander layout, is there a way, if I want to resize columns, to have both panels match automatically so that I don't have to fiddle with getting them both the same?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

Not in a completely automated way, unless you're auto-sizing the columns (in which case you can auto-size them from the same folder to get the same results, then save that).

If you set up one side, you can open the Folder Options dialog to get the numeric widths of the columns and then apply them to the other side, which is probably easier than trying to line things up by hand.

We might extend the Opus 11 scripting API to be able to do this, but I don't think it can at the moment as scripts don't currently have a way to query the column widths.

The Set AUTOSIZECOLUMNS=widest command may also be of interest:

Resizes the columns on both sides of a dual display Lister, setting the columns on both sides to the same width (the widest of the two).

You could use Set Autosizecolumns=widest to make them both the same.

Regards, AB

In a word, AB, "Huh?"

You can either create a button that executes the Opus internal command Set AUTOSIZECOLUMNS=widest or you can simply type it in as an immediate command. Just type > and a command entry box will pop up. Continue typing the command Set AUTOSIZECOLUMNS=widest and press enter to execute it.

Regards, AB

Thanks AB.

Chuck

You can either create a button that executes the Opus internal command Set AUTOSIZECOLUMNS=widest or you can simply type it in as an immediate command. Just type > and a command entry box will pop up. Continue typing the command Set AUTOSIZECOLUMNS=widest and press enter to execute it.

Regards, AB[/quote]

OK, I plead guilty to being brain dead. I do not see where to type the command. I tried the command-line box, but got errors.

?

Regards,
Chuck

Here's an example...

Having typed in the command, press ENTER to execute it and the result will hopefully be the alignment you are after.

Regards, AB

And you get the "Default packages" screen from where?

That's just an Opus Lister that happens to be in a folder called "Default Packages".

I use the built-in Opus command Set LISTERTITLE to customise my lister layout titles. The configuration in my screen grab started from my default layout whose lister title is defined as Set LISTERTITLE "Default - %N" where %N is the name of the current (source) folder, in this case "Packages".

Regards, AB

In case that info confuses you even more... the title of the window in the screenshot isn't really important and is probably best ignored.

It's just a normal Lister window, the main window of Opus that shows files and folders.

If you click where the files & folders are displayed, then type a > on the keyboard, a green "Command" box will appear where you can the command in. The command, from earlier, is:

Set AUTOSIZECOLUMNS=widest

So just open an Opus window, type > and then paste that into the green box that appears, and push return.

The green box lets you run the same commands that you can put in toolbar buttons and hotkeys. If you want to use the command often, you'll probably want to create a button for it rather than type it in every time.