Column sort symbol

I would consider this a bug, but I thought instead of reporting this bug directly I'd like to hear from some of the other users first.

I don't know the format of the theme files, so I'm not sure if this is a bug with the default theme or with Opus itself.

The symbols used in the column headers are opposite the standard convention in Windows and Mac (Linux, not having a standard or too many "standards," is a bit of a mixed bag). Traditionally, when a column is being sorted in ascending order, this is represented by a triangle with its tip at the top and its base at the bottom (i.e. smallest values at the top, larger values at the bottom); descending flips the triangle vertically (i.e. tip at the bottom, base at the top).

I discovered the same bug after installing Thunderbird, and discovered this heated discussion. To my surprise, there is a minority of people that don't look at this triangle as a symbol, but instead as a arrow that points in the direction the sort is flowing. So, for instance, an ascending sort has a arrow pointing down because the values of the rows ascend downwards(?). Did I get that right? Interesting idea, but seems totally bizarre to me. My brain just isn't wired that way. Regardless, to each his own; I'm not here to judge.

I'm finding myself clicking the column header three, sometimes even four, times because I have this one program that's different from all my others in the way it shows its sort symbol. I'd rather not have to remember this one program behaves different from all the others. I can't train myself to the way Opus works, because that's like switching straight from 3rd gear to reverse, and vice versa.

However, I'm also a programmer and believe in not changing behaviour when upgrading features. So since there's already a group of people that are used to the way Opus works, and possibly even those that want it that way, the only thing I can think of is to provide an option somewhere (turned off by default) that reverses the symbols to the more traditional layout.

Or if it's just a matter of swapping a couple of images in a theme file, show me how and I'll do it. That's what I ended up having to do with Thunderbird.

Thanks,

bob

[quote]
maguirer wrote:
I would consider this a bug, but I thought instead of reporting this bug directly I'd like to hear from some of the other users first.[/quote]

I would consider it a bug but a very, very minor one.

I look at the data order and not the header indicator.

It's not a bug, it's just different.

And like most things in Opus, you can change it. Set the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Config\User (String) ReverseSortArrows
Make sure you shut down and restart Opus after making this change.

jon, you da man! I added the registry entry and it worked like a charm.

I was going to include in this reply that I'm now a paid customer, but the order confirmation screen came up blank, and I didn't reload or resubmit the page because I don't want to accidentally be charged twice. I haven't received a confirmation e-mail. Is it safe to try ordering again?

Hi Bob,

Is you have problems with the web site and or ordering then you should mail us directly.

I saw that you had a problem with your order and I have reprocessed it this morning for you. You should receive details soon. Email me directly if you have any further issues on this.

Regards, Greg