Column view lister request

Just joined the forum but I've been using DO for a while and I think it's great. I too would love to see a column view, it would be extremely helpful, and so much faster to dive in and out of a folder structure that any other mechanism. Where I find it especially powerful is that you can use just the arrow keys without having to leave the keyboard and use the mouse. No modifiers keys, no shortcuts, just the arrows. There is no way I could navigate around anywhere near as efficiently or quickly in DO as I can in columns. I think the closest we could get in DO is to map the left and right arrow keys to navigate into and out of a folder. I have been meaning to attempt that, but does anyone have any feedback on how well that works, or any tips for the ideal configuration of this?

OK so I just configured the left and right arrows and it's a really great experience. Pretty much on par with the efficiency of column view, only that you can't jump instantly to a folder X levels up that you aren't in a descendant of, which you couldn't do from the keyboard anyway. Columns would still be nice, but as a fan of column view I am very happy with this I would have to say.

FYI this is the config I used: Left & Right Arrow Keys for Folder Navigation - #2 by lxp

Really? After all these rants, I am surprised that two remapped hotkeys was all what was needed :wink:

That's just my personal perspective :slight_smile: , I think it's not what others are asking for. One issue I have though with this config, is that after press the right arrow key to navigate into the folder, I'd like the first item inside that folder (which is itself often a folder) to be selected so I could just press the right arrow again to navigate into that. However, as it stands, I have to press down arrow to select first. Is there a way to do this?

That was answered in the other thread, hopefully.

As one of the posters of a "rant" here, I think I can say that this isn't all that was needed. There is still a visual component to navigating in the column view that is very helpful for some of us. I think the arrow keys help, but it isn't a real solve for the benefits of column view.

2 Likes

Current Windows file managers that support Miller columns:

One Commander
ThatView
Direttore File Manager
Files
xplorer2

Of those, which would you recommend and why?

We've moved this thread to the "Off-topic" section since it's not really about Opus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don't have enough experience with them to give a creditable suggestion plus I don't know your use case - heavy Miller column user or every so often. Some are free: some cost. You can try then at no cost and get your own sense of the relative value. HTH.

Fair enough. Although I don't currently have a use case requiring Miller columns, I'm interested in file managers, in general.

As far as a general interest in file managers, xplorer2 is the best of the lot but overpriced. Total Commander has more features, is rock solid and costs about the same. Of the others, they are interesting eye candy but not serious contenders on features. Of course, these are just my opinions, YMMV.

1 Like

Agree with the features and eye candy comments.

1 Like

I've extensively used all of those alternative tools except for ThatView, and none of them can replace Dopus. xplorer2 Has issues with Google drive desktop app and mediocre UI, Files is extremely slow, One commander has a great column view but UI is off-standard and keyboard shortcuts are hit or miss. I've also tried Q-Dir, Midnight commander, Total commander and some other obscure apps.

Dopus is stable, fast, reliable and a huge productivity boost for creative professionals like me. There really isn't any other app that ticks all the right boxes.

What I'm saying below is not directed at the devs, but the others who are being a bit exclusivist.

To have an open ended and valuable discussion, we should consider the request and gauge the viability, usefulness and execution methods instead of instantly shooting it down and directing people elsewhere. No one is making useless noise here. All of us here are people who love Dopus and are just asking to see if it's possible for this feature to be implemented, as it'll elevate the usage of the program to the next level and will sure make it another USP in Dopus's alreadly long list.

I'm just surprised to see that its normal users that are trying to shoot this topic down- one would expect resistance to come from developers instead, and that's not the case here. A developer convinced of the usefulness of the feature, but informing us that implementation might be difficult due to any technical reason would've been a different scenario.

Just because you have no experience with using said feature and have no understanding of what it means to certain people, and you can't fathom getting out of your comfort zone, doesn't mean there isn't an option to do something another way. A potentially better way.

Thank you, whoever, for derailing this thread, condescending this discussion calling it a rant, and helping it get moved to the off topic section.

Yeah, I'm disappointed the way this has turned out. I was really excited to see this feature being requested.

1 Like

Changing the discussion thread's category has no effect on the feature request's validity and does not inhibit the developers' ability to track said request.

A few users, myself included, have expressed an interest in Miller columns. In my estimation, the request is neither high on users' overall requested feature lists, in general (registered users in particular), nor high on the developers' to do list.

That said, unless I missed something, users are free to post new threads with requests and information to bolster their case for said requests.

1 Like

Thanks but this didn't really help. What command can I write to get the first item in the folder just opened with the right arrow key to be selected? I can't figure that out.

I couldn't agree more with @aNameMeansNothing and @Chuck .

@lxp , the guy in question solved his own necessities. It's wrong to assume his solution would be everyone's solution.

@Jon , I disagree with moving this topic to Off-topic. It's REALLY about Opus.
Some users are even considering your competitors in your own forum. Your posture giving them freedom is excelent, but I think you should consider it at least alarming.

Well, I shouldn't kick rocks anymore. When a considerable amount of clients/possible clients complain about something and the company doesn't listen, it's only natural to search for other services.

1 Like

I'm new to the forum, but don't really understand why the request for a column view in Opus is not about Opus. I think it is a highly useful view that can give you a view of your folder structure/content in a way that no other view can come close to. I was surprised to hear that it would require so much work to implement, but I'm not an Opus developer.

1 Like

Please ask in the other thread, and include detail of what's happening now and where it's going wrong. (Is the first folder not being selected? Or is it selected but the right-arrow isn't going into it?)

Because the thread has drifted into people talking about other file managers, among various other things.