Column view lister request

I also signed up just to reply to this thread. I love the column view from the mac os. It is one of the few things that I am surprised DO doesn't support. I love DO and can't imagine switching to any other explorer. But I do wish we could have the column view. I understand it is a matter of preference, but I know plenty of people who prefer the column view when working on macs.
That is all. Thanks for all the hard work and amazing software!

2 Likes

yup Onecommander is messy in a lot of other areas. I only use it when working on big projects, for day-to-day I use windows explorer. Still wishing dopus would implement it so I can purchase the software because I do like it.

1 Like

For what it's worth, xplorer2 is another file explorer alternative that recently implemented a Miller column option in its version 5 release. The developer discussed both the usefulness, or lack thereof, of Miller columns and the incredible complexity involved in coding it to work within an already developed file explorer alternative.

In my view, DOpus far outpaces xplorer2 in both functionality and flexibility. Given that, xplorer2 is a far more mature and functional file explorer compared to OneCommander.

IF both functionality and Miller Columns is REALLY what one wants, xplorer2 might prove a more viable alternative.

That said, I suspect everyone else, myself included, will gladly stick with DOpus.

Oh, that one is simple - because some operation on files require just the most basic features - but these operations are still useful and should be available, especially in a complex file manager. And while adding a new mode is a thing, neglecting existing features (fe. no grouping in list mode) makes DO look incomplete in places.

Not sure what you mean there. Grouping works in List mode.

1 Like

I hope the devs here would once again consider implementing the Column view in some fashion, seeing there is still some interest here. I'm not a dev so I don't know how complicated it would be, but I really believe the endeavor would be worth it and make Mac users even more envious :smiley:

At this point I'm way too used to and, invested in DO that I simply cannot move to another software. DO is just too incredible a piece of user experience + tools that no other tool competes with. DO has been an absolute boon to my creative profession.

So it would be great if this would be considered as a major feature request instead, and hopefully guage the viability of such an implementation. I'm already a happy camper, but this would then make me the happiest camper.

I completely concur with the previous observations. 100%.

I am a developer and I know that for people that have already created an amazing piece of productivity software, namely DO, adding column view will not be a huge undertaking. No programming is easy, but adding column view will not be very for for their seasoned developers. Time consuming, yes, can of worms, always, but not very hard.

And many of us will enjoy that view way too much to describe. It is a very useful view and on my Home Mac I use it 90% of the time.

2 Likes

Sorry, you are right. I am not using if for so long that I forgot it is actually kind of available.

Hey guys! Just signed up to reply and show my interest in a future 'Miller' Columns feature.

Don't give me wrong, I'm not complaining or anything... it's actually the opposite. I started using Opus recently and I'm loving it! Opus is already helping me a lot and, when I get the time, I'll dive more into the forums, improve my knowledge and optimize the file manager to my necessities (and share with you). But it's also a fact that this feature I'll help me more than what Opus offers as similar solutions now.

I know some feedbacks can be tough, specially the unpolite, loose and/or coming from people who don't try the least to have a dialogue and understand your points - and I hope you didn't develop a grudge against implementing the feature, ever. Imo, could exist a considerable slice of possible users that share the same necessities as me out there. That's why I'm asking you to reconsider adding the 'Miller' Columns, again.

I already apologize for the long text. I wrote as much as I could since I don't know your planning, priorities etc.... The last thing I want is to pass an image that I'm trying to teach how you need to conduce business with an already very successful and good product that is out there for more than two decades. I'm putting this effort cause I think you at least deserve it as a form a respect and cause I really want the feature as well. No problems, you'll take your own conclusions of what makes sense and what doesn't inside the following content:

Context:
I'm a Windows user that works with Media Post-Production, most of the time for mid/low size clients that couldn't afford to implement good practices regarding media management. I have good experiences with both OS X and Windows, and I didn't chose Windows only relying on my tastes: actually, I need some OS X exclusive softwares/workflows that would save me a lot of time and headaches. There are some Windows incomplete solutions for some things, but some of them are just unusable (that's why film industry data wranglers/DITs only use macs for their dailies and I don't judge them). Adding the fact that I'm brazilian and electronics are very expensive here (and apple products inviable) this was my only choice, even preferring Windows beforehand. And that's why I'm always trying to research unconventional solutions and implement and test them by myself, cause there's nothing to be done regarding what I said.

Anticipating some users:
I think there isn't such a thing as "the best OS choice"... most of the time apple products are unnecessary and unwanted expenses for the ones who didn't put effort researching (not talking about the common user tho, they don't have the obligation to know). But we need to accept that one of the good things about OS X is its interface, if not the best thing about it. Imo Finder is much better than Windows Explorer in most aspects and Miller's Columns indeed saves tons of time for some operations. It's not about my tastes, but what would be better to work with.

Considerating:
With what I said until now, there would be no reason to be replying in this specific topic.
Opus already offers a lot of possibilities for some problems I mentioned, still unexplored by most of my segment. It's a good, viable, functional, with good foundations, an amazing community system, tons of materials and one of the best File Explorer out there. We're on the same page here.
About Directory Opus, I don't see it as a File Explorer for the common user: its built-in features are already excellent, but it shines when comes to customization for specific needs, which requires the user a lot of learning curves, time and knowledge. It'll be unjust and loose asking you to implement a complete user-dedicated final solution, I'm only asking to provide its possibility.

Specifically about MColumns Layout:
. What you propose to solve MColumns absence can be even better for some users if they were willing to readjust. But, specially about the limited divided screens, they are even worse for faster navigation between a considerable high amount of drivers/bins ramifications in a deep level when you have specific operations in your routine to do. My operations rely on media workflows - and other people will have n different ones - the point is having the possibility to utilize it as a start point.
. Having all the path behind at instant disposal prevents a lot of mental confusions, independent of learning curves from other schemes. In high resolutions, an other screen with thumbs visualization (and others) combined with all Opus features can be very powerful specially when using Opus folder options. It never was the focus here, since we would like a solution that needs a non-divided screen / tabs usage workflow as its premise.
. MColumns feature can be a silly thing when determining which file explorer you will use compared to all other functionalities they provide, specially for the non-common users. But its absence also is very relevant and it has a considerable importance for navigation in general.
. Not all DOpus users will dive so much in its functionalities and possibilities. Imo, having users with different knowledge levels fits perfectly for the community system you have. MColumns can attract users with basic experience (or advanced ones that really like the specific feature) that will discover, improve... feeding a system that you that works very well.
. Other different users from other segments can bloom inside a product that is decades on the market and still has a lot to offer, which is very rare and just what various companies wanna achieve. It's not so different in a B2B pov as well imo (depends on the segment, size.. ofc) considering it can be implemented by a professional responsible for it for ones with just normal knowledge, which increases the number of users feeding back the whole environment/model I said earlier. And the MColumns disposal can have a good impact.
. The other Windows File Managers that are offering this feature are just weak, new or lack other many features Opus offers.
. Even arguing about pros and cons, taste is very important as well even for the high-end users.

And sorry if it sounds I'm BSing, overthinking etc. around a mere MColumns absence, I really believe it shouldn't be taken so lightly. Opus is amazing and I hope a MColumns could be reconsidered as an implementation alternative in future.

Feel free to contact, reply, refute, add points... anything. I'll try to answer when I have the time.

2 Likes

This column mode would be a big help in my workflow. I would love to see it added to DOpus, if it doesn't completely disrupt the amazingly steady evolution DOpus already provides.

And I should add that I've been using DOpus for many years and haven't found anything else that comes close in functionality, flexibility, power, and support. The chances of my switching to another file manager are roughly 0.00001%.

2 Likes

Popup menus are a bit similar, not sure if scripting can do that, need to add icons for menus.

I would love having column view.

It is more condensed way to view nested folder structures.

With columns you don't have to:

• scroll up and down
  • click to expand things (like the left folder tree)
  • click dropdown menus (like the top path bar)
  • click to go to the parent directory.

Therefore you do not lose the context of what you were doing.

2 Likes

Just joined the forum but I've been using DO for a while and I think it's great. I too would love to see a column view, it would be extremely helpful, and so much faster to dive in and out of a folder structure that any other mechanism. Where I find it especially powerful is that you can use just the arrow keys without having to leave the keyboard and use the mouse. No modifiers keys, no shortcuts, just the arrows. There is no way I could navigate around anywhere near as efficiently or quickly in DO as I can in columns. I think the closest we could get in DO is to map the left and right arrow keys to navigate into and out of a folder. I have been meaning to attempt that, but does anyone have any feedback on how well that works, or any tips for the ideal configuration of this?

OK so I just configured the left and right arrows and it's a really great experience. Pretty much on par with the efficiency of column view, only that you can't jump instantly to a folder X levels up that you aren't in a descendant of, which you couldn't do from the keyboard anyway. Columns would still be nice, but as a fan of column view I am very happy with this I would have to say.

FYI this is the config I used: Left & Right Arrow Keys for Folder Navigation - #2 by lxp

Really? After all these rants, I am surprised that two remapped hotkeys was all what was needed :wink:

That's just my personal perspective :slight_smile: , I think it's not what others are asking for. One issue I have though with this config, is that after press the right arrow key to navigate into the folder, I'd like the first item inside that folder (which is itself often a folder) to be selected so I could just press the right arrow again to navigate into that. However, as it stands, I have to press down arrow to select first. Is there a way to do this?

That was answered in the other thread, hopefully.

As one of the posters of a "rant" here, I think I can say that this isn't all that was needed. There is still a visual component to navigating in the column view that is very helpful for some of us. I think the arrow keys help, but it isn't a real solve for the benefits of column view.

2 Likes

Current Windows file managers that support Miller columns:

One Commander
ThatView
Direttore File Manager
Files
xplorer2