Command line for default settings

Hello again,

a second instance of DO should be opened with default settings, that means without any Lister Layouts. Any hints?

Many thanks and greetings
opusfreak

(Technically, there is only ever one instance of Opus, i.e. dopus.exe, unless multiple users are logged into the machine. The single instance will open multiple windows if needed.)

If Opus is already running and you want to open a default lister, running it again should do that. You can do that by shift+left-click or middle-click on the Opus taskbar icon.

You can also use File > Open New Lister (Ctrl+E) from an existing lister, to open a new one, which will use the default lister.

Or, if you want to automate things from outside of Opus, you can run

"c:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd GO NEW

(You could also run dopus.exe, which is what the taskbar methods will do, but it's a bit more efficient to use dopusrt.)

Hello leo,

(yep, I'm aware that there is only one instance, to be precise).

And I must be more precise with my question. I want to start DO (via dopusrt.exe) without any custom settings, like just installed.

Concerning the Lister - when its name contains a space like MY LISTER, what is the correct syntax? I have problems with the surrounding '"':

"c:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd GO ???

opusfreak

If you want to completely wipe all settings and go back to a default configuration in all aspects, uninstall Opus, reboot, then install it again.

If you only want to reset particular settings, that can be done, but we'd need to know which settings you want to reset to say how.

Arguments with spaces usually just need quotes around them. But Go "MY LISTER" would try to go to a folder named MY LISTER. Presumably you want to open a lister layout named MY LISTER, not a folder? If so, the command is completely different (whether or not there is a space in the name): Prefs LAYOUT="MY LISTER"

Hello leo,

my question is related to my now over an year old problem DO11: Opening Lister Layout lasts more than 20s. Meanwhile it last up to 40s until DO is shown with one of my Lister Layouts. I have that problem with my desktop PC, notebook and different VMs.

Therefore[quote]If you want to completely wipe all settings and go back to a default configuration in all aspects, uninstall Opus, reboot, then install it again.[/quote]isn't applicable. I must be able to compare different parts of an Lister Layout setting.

[quote]If you only want to reset particular settings, that can be done, but we'd need to know which settings you want to reset to say how.[/quote]Yes, especially (but not only) toolbars.

Concerning arguments with spaces[quote]Prefs LAYOUT="MY LISTER"[/quote] that doesn't work. I need an example of an complete command line.

opusfreak

Lister layouts are stored under /dopusdata/Layouts (the default lister is in the System folder below there).

If you move the default.oll file to somewhere else, then open a default lister, it will give you the factory default one. You could then save it and compare with your previous default.oll file (which is in text/xml format).

(There's no way to compare normal lister layouts (i.e. ones outside of the System folder) since they'd all be layouts you would have created yourself, and thus have no default versions to compare against.)

Toolbars are stored under /dopusdata/Buttons. If it's the Menu, Operations or File Display toolbar then you can copy the toolbar file to somewhere and then reset it by right-clicking an empty space on the toolbar itself. The two files can then be compared, as with layouts.

A 'diff' tool like the free WinMerge tool will work best for comparing the text files.

Prefs LAYOUT="MY LISTER" is the full Opus command. If you want to run an Opus command from outside of Opus, you can use dopusrt.exe /acmd as it seemed you were already doing with other commands above:

"c:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Prefs LAYOUT="MY LISTER"

That assumes you have a layout named MY LISTER, as in your question in the first post.

Hello again Leo,

I'm really desperate it doesn't work (Windows 7 Professional, 64 Bit SP1):

"c:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Prefs LAYOUT="MY LISTER"

Via Start a Lister is opened with "Prefs" folder on the left and "Computer" on the right. I tested a Lister Layout without spaces, too.

opusfreak

What do you mean by "Via Start a Lister"?

Where are you typing that command?

Do you actually have a layout called "MY LISTER"?

Hello Leo,

[quote]What do you mean by "Via Start a Lister"?[/quote]I insert the command in the search box of the Start menu.

[quote]Where are you typing that command?[/quote]For tests see above, the future use will be file shortcuts.

[quote]Do you actually have a layout called "MY LISTER"?[/quote]No, that's just a placeholder here which I replaced with a name of one of my Lister Layouts.

opusfreak

That command works here. If your layout name has special characters in it, they may need escaping (due to Windows, not Opus). Apart from that, there's nothing special to do really.

Still sounds like you've got a "Go" command in what you're actually typing into the Start->Run box... at least, if I create a layout called "MY LISTER" set to have dual-display on showing "Computer" in both the left and right file displays, and then I try this:

"c:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go Prefs LAYOUT="MY LISTER"

...then I get exactly what you're describing.

You've got the "Go" command in there still...

Also, for the 'Default Settings' part of the thread...

Every so often I do an uninstall/reinstall of the latest version. Before I restore my normal config backup with all my customizations, I take a config backup of the default settings from a fresh install.

I use it to test whether issues I encounter during normal use are caused by something in my HEAVILY modified config, by retesting the problem after restoring the 'default settings' backup.

Faster than uninstalling/reinstalling every time I find an issue.

FWIW

Oh my goodness :unamused:,

I used dopus.exe in my command line instead of dopusrt.exe - copied it from the DO installation icon "...\dopus.exe" /autolister and wasn't aware that it must be the DOpusRT (Directory Opus RunTime) :blush:.

Many thanks for all your efforts and greetings
opusfreak