Compare folders?

Sorry if this has been asked. I tried searching the forums and a lot of hits came up for "compare" but everytime I tried to go into a forum it said I didn't have access (and yes I was logged in).

Is there a way to compare 2 folders for the same files? I have a new system that I've copied folders and files onto from an old system, but others have been on the old system and have made new files. I know I can search by modify date and just delete the duplicates but I was hoping to make sure I didn't miss any files before I nuke the originals.

If the files are in the same directory layout in both places that you want to compare then you can use the synchronize tool in Opus to see which files are different.

If you really need to check for duplicate files anywhere within two directories then you have to use the duplicate finder tool, but that is limited to either searching a given directory, OR searching multiple complete drives.

See Leo's answer above re Synchronize. Another way is to open a dual display then use Select - Advanced and for the match equation, just select Compare and match or not match and or how you want to compare etc... You can also add extra argument lines to narrow the comparisons further if you wish. From the top part of the dialog you can select to hide or show matching files as you wish. Then do the selection. This will show you different files etc..

Remember that Opus also provides the COPY UPDATEALL and UPDATEEXISTING commands which are sometimes useful in such cases. (See manual.)

Hey there Greg, I was wondering if anyone has yet reported that the Duplicate Files Finder utility seems to have an issue... when you select "two" Drives through which to search for duplicate files, it appears that things don't work. Otherwise I also would have suggested that John use a button to alias his folders as drive letters using the MS SUBST command, then select the assigned drive letters in the dupe file finder util...

edit:
For instance... drives D: and E: are selected for a dupe file find op, if you copy the same file to the root of both drives you'll get NO hits. If you select yet another drive - say C: drive, then the dupe files in D: and E: WILL then be found... but if that same file ALSO exists in C: it is not found. Summary: it's as though the 'first' drive selected (alphabetically) is excluded from the find operation.

[quote]
Hey there Greg, I was wondering if anyone has yet reported that the Duplicate Files Finder utility seems to have an issue... when you select "two" Drives through which to search for duplicate files, it appears that things don't work. Otherwise I also would have suggested that John use a button to alias his folders as drive letters using the MS SUBST command, then select the assigned drive letters in the dupe file finder util...[/quote]

Hi Steje,

It's a good find !
I'm getting even worse results.
I simply copied a descript.ion file from E: to D: and then found duplicates in those two drives.
Confirmed that that file is not found !

Even worse, if I select a third drive at random, I get several results,
but none make any sense as the files don't really exist in all of the drives.

I'm not certain what you're up to with the MS DOS Subst command.
I use it to play hacked DVD videos.
However, I get the same results. Confirmed that a problem exists.

Good One Steje !
:opusicon: porcupine

Hey there Porc man!
Well, I've seen various ppl here on the forums like John ask if we can directly select multiple distinct 'folders' for a dupe file search operation (like we can for multiple logical drives). Since we cannot, (feature request?) in the case where the two folders you want to search are on the 'same' logical drive, it's not THAT big a deal to temporarily move the two folders to a common parent dir and just search that parent folder... but if they're actually on separate logical drives, then moving a folder with a lot of data under it is just not an option. So, what I would have suggested if the multiple logical drive selection worked right is to use SUBST to alias each folder as a logical drive letter, then you can select them using the multi drive select functionality Opus offers... and it 'would' work if this little bug in the dupe search were fixed.

What I'd really like to see someday to address this (in addition to the multi drive bug fix) is 2 things:

a) an extension to the internal command set so that we could directly invoke the dupe file search from a toolbar button and run it against series of selected folders or against the current folders in a dual pane lister...

b) an extension to the existing dupe file finder utility so that we could specify multiple folders in a similar UI pattern to what GP offers to add additional filters to a filtered operation - ie: some plus and minus buttons to reveal or hide additional 'Search for duplicate files in:' fields.

(i am not sure if this is the right place to post. please move my post accordingly.)

I like the synchronize (which comes with a Comparer) tool a lot. It is very clear in what it does and what options are at hand. however i get the subjective feeling that it takes very long before it actually does the file operations (copy, delete). With Dopus 10.0.0.2 beta and synchronizing 150.000+ files (in ~10.000 folders) from local E:\ with external hdd G:, i get the above error during the reading of G:, i.e. before the comparison (in the RAM memory) takes place. I installed Dopus 9.5.6.0 and there's no such error message. reading works (takes long!), comparison works (takes long too!), and then it takes "even longer" until the copying process (step1. deleting would be step3) finally starts. Would you admit/confirm that the DO10 synchronizer is indeed inferior (in performance and stability) to third-party products such as the popular Beyond Compare 3 (BC3)?

Then i opened BC3 and it read the 2 folders and did the comparison rather fast. But synchronizing with BC3 is not all automatic; BC3 is mainly a comparison tool. I know that leo has BC3 installed on his system too, although DO10 does have the synchronizer (which includes a Comparer). :wink:

sorry for being a nag and reporting only the bad news (like the daily news on TV: they never report about how happy people but only report about catastrophes, accidents, war). i've reduced the synchronization task a little, and this time during the Compare phase the beta software crashes with:

plz let me know if this is the right place (thread) to post.

You're probably better off reporting this to GPSoft Support (link in my sig) rather than adding it ti the end of an old forum thread.