Configure Content Type Format to show only certain filetype

I'm learning how to use the Content Type in order to quickly show / hide a certain type of files.

This is how I started doing it:

First define a filetype, say "WiP files" and assign the extensions *.psd, *.ai, *.pmp, *.mfa, *.skp whatever etc etc to it.

Then, in preferences, edit the Folder Format / Content Type Format "WiP files"'s Filters tab: check only "Show" and enter all the extensions manually (in this case *.psd|ai|pmp| etc).

So is there a way to make the step 2 a bit faster by somehow inheriting the file extensions from the filetype so I don't have to type the whole *.psd|ai|pmp|mfa|skp etc sausage? Inheriting the extensions would also make it more practical in case it turns out some filetypes need to be modified.

Or is there a better way to go about it (quickly hiding / showing certain type of files) instead of synchronizing the Folder Format with File Types manually?

If you create filetype group (not just a filetype) then you can have filters which reference that group by name. e.g. Type grp:music as the filter and Opus will effectively show *.(mp3|wma|ogg|flac|...etc...)

If you just want a button that filters the current display then there's a much easier way to do it. You don't need to mess with filetypes, filetype groups or folder formats at all; just put the pattern into the button itself.

e.g. Set SHOWFILTERFILENAME="*.(psd|ai|pmp|mfa|skp)"

That button automatically works as a toggle, too.

There are various different types of filters you can apply like that. See the Clear All Filters section of the Filter Boxes FAQ for a list of them. That command clears all of them, but it also tells you their names.

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.