Context Menu 'Copy To' and 'Move To'

I've been a registered user since 2009. I have 6 registered copies of Opus Directory and getting support is HORRIBLE!!!

I am trying to add 'Copy To' and 'Move To' to the context menu. All on-line FAQ information to perform this task is either incomplete or out dated. I am using ver 11.x, all tutorial and help information on how to do this is for older versions. I think I went through the process using 3 (yes 3) different on-line helps (your forum info and google searches), and at the end of it all, I am told I have to give it a 'File Type'.

Right out of the gate, all helps, tutorials, ......, state I have to select 'Settings / File Types / All File Types'. This option is not available in ver 11.x. One can only select 'Settings / File Types'., period!!!

I need some step-by-step help on how to add these commands to the right/click context menu.

Hi Dave,

I'm not an official support person, but I may be able to answer your question. To be clear, do you want the "Copy To" and "Move To" commands to prompt you for a destination folder?

Those instructions are still correct for Opus 11 (assuming they say "All Files and Folders" and that's a misquote).

Look near the top of the window that opens, at the item I have selected in this screenshot. That is what you are supposed to double-click on:

If anything seems out of date in any of the guides here, let us know which ones they are and we can update or clarify them.

By the way, to edit a context menu, do the following:
[ul][li]Click Settings menu[/li]
[li]Click File Types...
At this point, a "Files Types - Directory Opus" dialog will appear

[/li]
[li]Highlight "All files and folderse" as I have done in the screen shot[/li]
[li]Click the Edit button at the bottom of the dialog shown above

[/li]
[li]Edit the context menu to suit your needs[/li][/ul]

The current "Files Types" help is here:

gpsoft.com.au/help/opus11/i ... etypes.htm

Qualifying my statement about the info available being not correct for ver 11.xx, Leo wrote Nov 28, 2011 "you went to Settings -> File Types -> All Files and Folders ->Context Menu and added a new menu item which runs your User-Defined command". Again there is no place called this. A bit more detail when explaining to people that aren't intimate with the structure of Opus's non-standard nomenclature would be helpful. the 'All Files and Folders' is not a menu selection as the post presents. it is an option inside a window. Say so. The next statement 'Context Menu' is in no menu or an option to select within that window. As gleamed from the info above, you have to select 'Edit' button or double click the 'All Files and Folders' option within the widow, only then can you get to the Context Menu tab. But what then? As my original post stated, I am trying to add 'Copy To' and 'Move To' to the context menu. These are menu options, but I have to get to a place to add these custom menu options via 'File Types' from Opus main menu Settings? Very confusing. I'm sure I am not alone in this misunderstanding of OD menu options. We just need a step-by-step (and please do not skip any steps) instructions on how to add these two menu commands.

As far as I can tell the entire procedure is described quite thoroughly in the manual; which pages do you feel need further embellishment?

I suppose the manual does cover it for a programmer, but for an end-user, to complex. Opus Directory is very flexible and programmable, but not so much for a non-programmer. If I can't get a step by step outline of how to complete the task of adding these commands to the context menu, this community needs to bring it down a few notches and understand some of us end-users need more hand-holding. Thank you for your time.

The instructions you were following used a shorthand to describe the list of things you need to click on, not all of which are menu items. It sounds like you assumed they were all menu items and stopped looking for other things to click on when you ran out of menus? If that's the case we can keep that in mind when describing things, to avoid the confusion, although it is not something I can remember causing problems before now.

I still don't know which writing we're talking about here, and whether it is a forum post or a FAQ or something else. ("Leo wrote Nov 28, 2011" tells me I wrote it four years ago, but I can't remember what I wrote on that day.)

Forum posts are often going to use some shorthand, since brevity is often clearer, and fast iterative responses are generally better than a single response that tries to cover every possibility and ends up overwhelming someone with detail they don't need. The forum is a conversation where people can ask for clarification if they get stuck, and quickly receive exactly as much information as they need.

The manual goes into things in more detail, as should the FAQs and tutorials in general, since their goal is to cover things extensively. Forum threads fill in the gaps, and we often make changes to the manual in response to forum threads when we see something was missing or confusing.

So, if there are places in the manual or FAQs where something is missing or confusing, let us know and we can improve it. OTOH, if you find a forum post that isn't detailed enough, just ask for clarification in the thread. We are happy to give it, we just need to know what needs clarifying.

DesertDwarf's post above has the extra details of exactly what you need to click at each stage (not just the names of what to click), if you still need it.

The File Types dialog is where you go to edit the menus you get when you right-click different types of files.

The reason you go to File Types to edit a menu is that the menu you get when you right-click a file is different for each type of file (including menu items which can be added for the special generic types which match "All Files", "All Files And Folders", and "All Folders"). Those menus, and File Types in general, are part of the design of Windows, not Opus; Opus merely provides a way to edit the menus. Windows itself used to have a similar File Types dialog where you could edit things, but some years ago Microsoft got rid of it entirely and the only way to edit them now is to edit the Registry directly or use a tool like Opus.

On the other hand, if you want to edit other menus which are not tied to File Types (e.g. the menus on your toolbars), you do that via Settings > Customize Toolbars instead.

I've made you a video which hopefully makes the process clearer.

[Moderation note: Off-topic posts about FTP programs and wikis split into a separate thread. --Leo]

Perfect, thank you.