Context menu crash in Microangelo MODsys.dll

I just installed the Eval of Dopus 11. I am getting some errors. Please see the attached print screens to explain. Beyond that...

I am 1st right clicking on a .Txt file that brings up a context menu. In that context menu there is an item called "Appearance". Clicking on "appearance" ordinarily calls up a program called Microangelo on Display. The program allows you to change the icon of the .Txt file or any other file type for that matter. When I click on the "Appearance" item this is when the error in the print screen occurs.

Thanks allot in advance, Jim

Does the same thing on the same file work OK in File Explorer (Windows Explorer)?

Is a crash dump created matching the date & time of the crash? If so, you can email it to me (leo@gpsoft.com.au) if you want me to take a look and see if it points to a particular EXE or DLL causing the crash.

Everything works fine Using Windows Explorer. I just sent you a mini dump via email

Thanks for the minidump.

That confirms the crash is happening inside the Microangelo shell extension (...\Microangelo On Display\MODsys.dll) so there's probably not much we can do on our end to diagnose why it's crashing, unless Microangelo is open-source. You might need to report the issue to the Microangelo developers.

If they find anything that looks like Opus is doing something wrong/unexpected which is causing their code to crash, we can look into changing that if it makes sense, but we have no way to tell what that might be without being able to see their code, so they are probably the only ones who can do that part of the investigation.

That's strange. I've never had the problem with DOpus 10 or any other previous version of DOpus since I've been using DOpus since 2006. I've been using the "Microangelo" product, the same version, for about the same amount of time. Odd, don't you think?

Anything is possible, without being able to see the code that is crashing to tell which potentially random thing it is tripping over on.

Guess I'll have to go back to DOpus 10 then. I'll check back on 11 after it's been around a little longer. Thanks for all your help though, Leo. Appreciate it very much.

Jim

Have you tried asking Microangelo for support?

I don't understand why everyone asks us but seems reluctant to ask anyone else when the crash seems to be in someone else's code.

I'll be doing that today.

Hi, I use Directory Opus on a Windows 7 x64 machine and up to recently as Server 2008 R2 machine, all runs fine. However on a new Server 2012 R2 machine (that was built from scratch to replace the Server 2008 R2 machine) Directory Opus crashes whenever I select the "Appearance" right clicked context menu. This context menu comes from Microangelo On Display (MODSys.dll).

This context menu item works fine in Windows Explorer and on all other machines. This is the error I get in the event log:

Faulting application name: dopus.exe, version: 5.0.1.44, time stamp: 0x55146dbf
Faulting module name: MODSys.dll, version: 7.0.3.1, time stamp: 0x4f7df365
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000022826
Faulting process ID: 0x1270
Faulting application start time: 0x01d09b872a6a0909
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopus.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microangelo\On Display\MODSys.dll
Report ID: f7888859-077a-11e5-80c4-a4badb2cb283
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hope this can be fixed, thanks, Geoff.

That indicates the crash is happening within that DLL's code, so even if Opus is doing something the DLL doesn't expect (or rather, shouldn't have to expect on its side of the API contract), we would not be able to determine what the cause is without their source code.

It's best reported to the DLL's vendor in this case.

If you need a workaround to prevent the crash, you can disable the shell extension either system wide (ShellExView is the easiest way) or just within Opus. The guide on right-click crashes goes into more detail on both, if needed (click FAQs near the top left, then scroll down to the troubleshooting section).

Understand, but then why does it work fine with Windows Explorer context menu on Server 2012 R2 and on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 under Dopus?

If it works in native Windows Explorer surely it should work under on Dopus??

We can only guess as we do not have the source code. You need to ask the component's authors.

As a very basic example, any minor difference between two host programs can trip things up. Some components even check if they are being run inside explorer.exe and act differently if they are compared to anything else.

Again, understood, but it is Dopus that crashes... not MODsys.dll, seems to me to be a Dopus issue on server 2012 R2 in my view not MOSsys.dll, surely Dopus should act exactly the same way as Explorer?

The crash is in MODsys.dll. It brings the Opus process down because it's loaded into the process address space, but the fault is in the DLL.

OK understood, but just for awareness I have tried this with three other explorer replacements (Directory Opus competitors) and they all work fine, so I still don't understand why this gets triggered by Dopus on Server 2012 R2 only, will leave at that for now.

I have the exact same issue and have failed to solve this, Microangelo make clear that it works FINE from Windows Explorer and it does (under every version of Windows), and yet it crashes with Opus 11. Never a problem under Opus 10, so there argument is that it is up to Directory Opus to fix this, as a "layman" I must say I can't fault their logic!

Also I have found the extension CLSID of {4E0CE2BB-83E4-414A-9E04-EFFFBBDD0394} and add that to the Context Menu exclusions and that works only for folders and leaves the "Appearance" context menu item intact for other items, so this is not an effective way of excluding the context menu from Opus 11.

The crash is terrible - takes out Opus 11 completely and sometimes the whole system needs to be rebooted!

Faulting application name: dopus.exe, version: 5.0.1.56, time stamp: 0x56720a63
Faulting module name: MODSys.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f7df365
Faulting process ID: 0x1a50
Faulting application start time: 0x01d16a5d6475d417
Report ID: 4ad99029-312e-4234-9016-7cd26fcf1800

Perhaps we all need to go back to Opus 10, except it does not suport DPI scaling at all (and neither does Opus 11 properly yet...)

I have tried to raise this with the vendor (Microangelo) and they make it clear to me that it works FINE from Windows Explorer (and it does under every version of Windows I have - Windows 7 x32 and x64, Server 2012 R2 and Windows 10 x64), and yet it crashes with Opus 11. Never was a problem under Opus 10 (and MODSys.dll is the same version), so Microangelo's argument is that it is up to Directory Opus to fix this, as a "layman" I must say I can't fault their logic!

Also I have found the extension CLSID of {4E0CE2BB-83E4-414A-9E04-EFFFBBDD0394} and have tried to add that to the Context Menu exclusions settings and that only excludes the extension folders but leaves the "Appearance" context menu item intact for other items such as drives, desktop, etc., so this is not an effective way of excluding the context menu from Opus 11.

The crash is terrible - takes out Opus 11 completely and sometimes the whole system needs to be rebooted! Just sometimes forget not to use it in Opus and to revert to Explorer when I need the feature - then the crash comes....

Faulting application name: dopus.exe, version: 5.0.1.56, time stamp: 0x56720a63
Faulting module name: MODSys.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f7df365
Faulting process ID: 0x1a50
Faulting application start time: 0x01d16a5d6475d417
Report ID: 4ad99029-312e-4234-9016-7cd26fcf1800

Perhaps we all need to go back to Opus 10, except it does not suport DPI scaling at all (and neither does Opus 11 properly yet...), it is harder to like Opus just now...

The crash dump shows it is Microangelo's code that is crashing.

There is literally nothing we can do here, except blacklist their code from being loaded into the Opus process (which you can do using ShellExView if that's the solution you want).

This logic is flawed. I can equally point out that Opus 11 works with literally thousands of other shell extensions, but this particular one is crashing. (And since Microangelo apparently are only interested in testing against Windows Explorer and nothing else, it should not be surprising if there are bugs with anything else!)

Neither fact alone says where the blame lies, but the crash dumps show the crash is happening inside their code. That means either there is a bug in their code or their code is being passed invalid information which it is reacting to by crashing (while nothing else does). In both cases, it is something which can only be understood by looking at their code to see why it is crashing, and only they can do that (unless they send us their code).

If they don't want to investigate crashes which have been shown to be happening in their code then there is nothing we can do except suggest you remove or disable their code from your systems.

We have done all the investigation we can on our side, which involved looking at the crash dumps people sent in and identifying which code was crashing. For this to progress, it is up to the people who own that code to investigate further.