Context Menu Icons & Settings

So I just formatted my system and turns out I forgot to export my DO settings and back them up (although backed-up my DO documents and settings folder). All my toolbars were saved but I guess it didn't save my DO settings.

First question: is it possible to save the settings without having to export them? I find it a cumbersome task and easily forget it when I backup everything else via storing directories and exported REG files to a RAR archive via batch scripting.

Secondly, after installing Beyond Compare, I notice my context menu icon (and WinRAR icon) is looking horrible. I know this use to be a limitation w/ v6 and I thought 32-bit support was included in v8, but since I lost my settings, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Can anyone point me to the right place. Searching the forum trying to read over the new features is not being successful.

Thanks

You could schedule a batch file to run every night which exports your settings to a file automatically, if you want.

Or if you backed up your registry (user portion) as well as the other documents and settings stuff then you could load the registry file up and export the Opus portion to a .reg file which can be double-clicked to add it to your new install.

Don't know anything about the Beyond Compare and Winrar menu items, sorry, but Opus 8 has had several improvements to the handling of 3rd party context menu items, particularly owner-draw ones, so it might be better.

[quote]
nudel wrote:Or if you backed up your registry (user portion) as well as the other documents and settings stuff then you could load the registry file up and export the Opus portion to a .reg file which can be double-clicked to add it to your new install.[/quote]

Guess I thought everything was stored in the docs and settings folder and just browsed the registry and looks like the settings are stored in the keyHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GPSoftware\Directory OpusIf this is not correct, just let me know. I'm guessing it's the right key, but there is very little I can understand because most values are binary.

Thaks nudel.

Yep, that's where pretty much all the settings (apart from filetype customisations) are stored.

I think the user portion of the registry is stored in Documents and Settings these days, so if you backed up the whole directory you probably have it.

I'm assuming that you mean filetype customizations as in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT of the registry.

I actually didn't backup the whole documents and settings, only specific Application Data directories for particular apps. Yeah, the user registry is in NTUSER.DAT.

I don't find the settings Import/Export utility particularly 'cumbersome' at all and really appreciate the consolidation of all settings in a single exported file... However, I DO feel that it could be made a little easier by bringing the Prefs internal function up to date to support the new v8 style .DPS exported settings file as per this feature request. You should be able to double click on a .DPS file and automatically import the settings in it or bring up the setting I/E utility dialog... likewise, you should be able to export those settings through a button, scheduled script, etc... which actually can't be done with the 'newer' v8 .DPS settings file as far as I know.

Don't get me wrong, I love programs which offer an export feature. It's just like what happened to me though, that I forgot to export the settings and ran my backup scripts (which didn't catch everything) and now I'm having to redo my settings (which takes a long time w/ DO :smiley:).

I'm not familiar w/ the Prefs function, but it would be nice if to be able to call the export/import through scripting. I'll have to look into this. Thanks.