Context Menu items not working [spit topic]

I came here to find out if this was an issue. For me also.

Windows 8.1 pro. Successfully using DO for +2years. It now is broke.

1. First noticed I could not context select my Anti-Virus "scan Now". It did not appear as an option. My "standard windows shortcuts do not activate any file manager (windows native or DO).

2. I could not run my disk cataloging software (it would crash, not respond, etc.)

I have tried "run as administrator", assigning full permissions to program, then program folder, uninstall/re-install....

Tried using under windows built-in administrator account.

No Joy, definitley broken.
I am having to be abused by windows native nonsense explorer and it is horrible. :slight_smile:

Kevin

P.S. I do not have the security KB mentioned. Additional note:

I chose to do a complete gut and re-install from scratch in December. I have been slowly re-installing and cleaning up files as I go. First thing I did was install MB drivers, drivers windows 8 updates. I have been carefully parsing my re-installs. So this is a "fresh, new install".

I came here to find out if this was an issue. For me also.

Windows 8.1 pro. Successfully using DO for +2years. It now is broke.

1. First noticed I could not context select my Anti-Virus "scan Now". It did not appear as an option. My "standard windows shortcuts do not activate any file manager (windows native or DO).

2. I could not run my disk cataloging software (it would crash, not respond, etc.)

I have tried "run as administrator", assigning full permissions to program, then program folder, uninstall/re-install....

Tried using under windows built-in administrator account.

No Joy, definitley broken.
I am having to be abused by windows native nonsense explorer and it is horrible. :slight_smile:

Kevin

UAC does not affects this.

When I turn off (check "do not replace", exit DO) my file shortcuts do not work, and it complains about not having DO running.

Additional: I disabled DO, after checking "do not replace any"
now I get a complaint DOpuRT cannot launch....

That sounds like a different issue if it is affecting context menus for several programs in and out of Opus, unless the security patch is breaking context menus randomly, which is possible.

It might be best to report the issue to Microsoft, since it doesn't seem to involve Opus, other than that its menu items appear to be one of the many potentially affected by the problem.

BTW, you don't want Opus or Explorer to be running elevated under UAC. You'll run into problems if they aren't running at the same level as the user does by default.

The problem with context menus, is a symptom, not the problem. The base issue is that with D.O. running the standard windows functions (running the cataloger, now "Scan Now" missing from context) become unavailable.

When D.O. is uninstalled these issues go away. This is definitively an issue with D.O., Windows 8.1 64bit and something to do with permission/rights/security.... something in this area.

Thank You.
Kevin

Please run FileTypeDiag and click Save without typing an extension, so it saves a registry dump of your folder settings.

That may shine some light on what's going wrong.

Also, try disabling Explorer Replacement in Opus to see if that has an effect. (It's best to reboot after doing that, to make sure you are testing the change, as Explorer sometimes caches registry details for a minute or two, which can make testing unpredictable).

Finally, using RegEdit, what do you have under this area?:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks

I've split this topic from the original thread it was posted in as it does not seem to be related at all.

Can you please clarify - are you saying that your A/V context menu does not appear anywhere (i.e. not even in Explorer) when Opus is installed, or is it just that it doesn't show up inside of Opus but works in Explorer whether Opus is installed or not?

Greetings,
Sorry I was out of state.
I can run directory opus as a standalone. For file management, etc. It will not work properly when the explorer replacement function is engaged. I have to use windows file explorer for the the functions specified in the following Specific symptoms I had (and still do) when I try to get DO front and center (explorer replacement).

Nortons "scan now" disappears from the right-click context menu, This indicates there is some disconnect between windows proper and the integration of DO into "it's" environment. Additionally the problem with the file cataloging software not writing in it's folders when DO is enabled as a replacement would seem to indicate something as well.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks
(Default)
{3CF9ECE0-1A9F-11D2-8C73-00C06C2005DE} which references "Default Directory Opus Shell Execute Hook"

I'm sorry, it's still not clear. Let me rephrase the question.

When Opus is installed, does the Norton "Scan Now" command appear if you right-click a file in Explorer (or on the Desktop)?

Yes. In other words, the way I am using Opus now:
Windows Explorer is set as default, because things like the context menu item (norton scan now) and the disk cataloging software work in that default.
Additionally, if I set Opus to replace Win File Explorer, double clicking any folder related item (i.e. shortcuts to folders) I get a complaint that it can't find the opus program.

I open Opus as a separate (non explorer replacement) to do any serious file management. They will work together in this fashion.
Of course every time I just double click a folder, it opens with windows file DEplore-able (defaulting to thumbnails, when I generally prefer straight up details view)

I am now trying the .12 update to see if this does anything.

Kevin

If Norton's Scan Now menu appears in Explorer but not Opus, then that is normal. Norton intentionally hide their context menus outside of Explorer. (They won't even appear in the File Open dialogs in Notepad, for example, even though the menus are literally build using the same code that Explorer uses.)

Until clarified, it sounded like having Opus as Explorer Replacement somehow prevented Norton's menus from appearing in Explorer, which would be odd, but if they are only missing from Opus than that is normal, and unrelated to Explorer Replacement.

If the separate Explorer Replacement problems remain, it's worth double-checking that neither the Desktop and other Explorer.exe processes, nor dopus.exe, are running as administrator. A good way to check this is to run Process Explorer elevated (run as admin) and then look at the Integrity column. All dopus.exe and explorer.exe processes should say Medium.