Control file display to a directory level in search results

I don't want the results of the third level and below of a search using the search bar. I have tried using the hide folder option in Folder Options to no avail.

Is there a way to control the level of the search results displayed using the Hide/Show options of the Folder Options dialogue? Thanks.

The Bonus topic: Restricting the search depth section in How to filter items by location or sub-folder has one way to do it.

Perhaps a nicer way would be to have a script column which reports folder depth as a number (fairly easy to write) and then filter on that. Although you would still need to factor in the starting depth, which is the main trouble with both methods.

script column which reports folder depth as a number

2 Likes

Nice! I forgot that existed. :smiley: I have just added a link to it in that section of the FAQ.

Thanks, I saw that Bonus Topic when I was searching. Thing is I don't know how to code that into the Folder Options panel.

Search filters and Show/Hide/Quick filters are different things. You would need to use the path depth column in your search.

The Select command can use search filters to determine what is displayed in a file display, but the result is static and needs to be refreshed manually.

This script makes handling filters a bit easier:

Yes, I understand that. That’s why I am asking if there is anyway to filter by directory level with hide/show in folder options. Seems the answer is no. Thanks.