Copy directory structure but not the files?

Is there a way to clone a directory structure from one location to another without copying the files within them?
thanks

To copy the folder structure only create a new filter called "Folders Only" set up the following way:

Type Match "Folders Only"

And save it with a name of FOLDERS ONLY.

Next set up a button and use this for the button command:

Copy FILTER="Folders Only"

Since this gets asked every so often I've posted about it in the Buttons & Toolbars forum, with some screenshots to help people who aren't familiar with creating filters:

[Recreate Empty Directory Structure)

[quote="JohnZeman"]To copy the folder structure only create a new filter called "Folders Only" set up the following way:

Type Match "Folders Only"

And save it with a name of FOLDERS ONLY.

Next set up a button and use this for the button command:

Copy FILTER="Folders Only"[/quote]
great!
thanks will try this
ds

[quote="leo"]Since this gets asked every so often I've posted about it in the Buttons & Toolbars forum, with some screenshots to help people who aren't familiar with creating filters:

[Recreate Empty Directory Structure)[/quote]

ok, finally got a chance to work on this and got it running, sort of ....

let's say i have a complex deeply nested stucture 'bob' and under 'bob' is a large bowel of folders and so forth

now i make a folder 'joe' (parallel to 'bob' ) and want the same structure under 'joe' as 'bob'

if i go to the folder tree to push the structure of 'bob' into 'joe' it doesn't work (doesn't do anything)

if i go to the window which has the contents of 'bob' i have to select all the folders for it to work

if i go up a level then 'bob' gets put under 'joe' which is not what i want

i hope that was clear, maybe another way of posing the question is:
why doesn't this button work from the folder tree?
thanks for your help

Most buttons don't work on the tree. Most work on whatever is selected in the source file display and put the results (if any) in the destination file display.

(You can override the source/destination directories, but with something that is already a recursive command, making it double-recursive (for lack of a better phrase) would probably be a pain, if it's possible at all. In other words, you're asking for a Copy command which recurses into the selected folder and then, on every subdirectory, runs another Copy command which recurses into all subdirectories...)

Is pushing Ctrl-A before the button that much of a problem? You could probably add the Select All into the button if you wanted to.

[quote="leo"]Most buttons don't work on the tree. Most work on whatever is selected in the source file display and put the results (if any) in the destination file display.

(You can override the source/destination directories, but with something that is already a recursive command, making it double-recursive (for lack of a better phrase) would probably be a pain, if it's possible at all. In other words, you're asking for a Copy command which recurses into the selected folder and then, on every subdirectory, runs another Copy command which recurses into all subdirectories...)

Is pushing Ctrl-A before the button that much of a problem? You could probably add the Select All into the button if you wanted to.[/quote]

thanks for the info
i suppose there is a good reason why most buttons don't work on the tree?
it seemed sort of intuitive to me to start from there

pushing ctrl-A is only too much trouble in the sense that it would select all the files too, would just take a bit more care and time than pushing from the tree
oh, wait! i see now, selecting all the folders and files as well doesn't matter because the filter will exclude the files, very nice

1 Like