Copy file progress dialog box missing

I am running Opus 13.2
The progress dialog box when copying or moving files is not appearing. I have tried all the settings in the relevant section of preferences, but no luck. Is anyone else having this problem and is there something I can try to fix it?

The problem is probably caused by one of these tools, or a similar tool:

Thanks Leo, I will investigate. However, I did not have a problem with Opus 12, and nothing much has changed (in the way of apps etc) since I moved to Opus 13. Does the issue you have raised still apply?

Yes. While reports of some of those tools breaking progress dialogs have been around for years, they seem to break things more reliably with Opus 13 for some reason. (But they were always a problem, or some of them at least.)

I plan to try and work out why they're causing problems when I have a free day in the future, but it's difficult without the source code to them, when they're modifying our process and Windows APIs in unknown ways.

In some cases, excluding Opus from the tools is enough to get things working again, although it depends on the tool.

If you can tell us which tool you're using that causes it we'll add a message on startup for it to warn people (like we have done for several others).

Hi Jon, I discovered to my surprise that I had Actual Title Buttons 8.11.2 and Actual Virtual Desktops 8.11.2 installed. I have uninstalled both and rebooted but problem not fixed. I don't have any other tools on Leo's list. I will work through settings again just in case I have disabled something.

I think I've worked out why those tools were causing problems (at least, why they were causing more problems with Opus 13; I suspect they can still cause issues more rarely, based on reports about them with Opus 12).

We'll have some changes in the next beta which should improve compatibility.

I have installed 13.2.2. beta and the problem has been resolved!! The progress dialog box (and, incidentally, the jobs bar) are now present and correct. Many thanks and well done.

2 Likes