Copy & Move with TeraCopy

Seeming like this part of the topic could be split off and moved to the Cofeeshop or Support forum...

Anyhow, the copy queue functionality alone is reason enough to give it some attention. And running multiple separate copy operations at the same time time to and fro against the same drives in serialized/queued fashion should yield obvious "overall" performance benefit... But all on it's lonesome I just don't see how TC could be doing anything crazy to make a single large file copy to and from the same drive (IDE/SATA/SCSI, whatever...) any faster than Opus.

I'm trying a test now on my laptop (but unfortunately, it's also got a SATA2 drive, though 5400 rpm) with a 579 MB ISO image.

I copied the same file to the same target folders with Opus and then TC 4 times in a row for each app, and while there was some variation, they both averaged out at around 54 seconds. On one of the copies Opus was faster than TC by about 3 seconds, and in another back-to-back copy TC was about 7 seconds faster than Opus...

Maybe there IS some buffering things that TC might be doing differently on IDE drives, but don't have a way to test that... sounds fishy to me.

[Update: The root post has been updated to take this into account.]

Just a note the first post is incorrect - should be:

For Copy:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<button backcol="none" display="icon" icon_size="large" textcol="none">
	<label>TeraCopy</label>
	<tip>Copy files with TeraCopy</tip>
	<icon1>#setsource</icon1>
	<function type="normal">
		<instruction>&quot;C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe&quot; Copy *{allfilepath|filem} {destpath}</instruction>
	</function>
</button>

For Move:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<button backcol="none" display="icon" icon_size="large" textcol="none">
	<label>TeraMove</label>
	<tip>Move files with TeraCopy</tip>
	<icon1>#setdest</icon1>
	<function type="normal">
		<instruction>&quot;C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe&quot; Move *{allfilepath|filem} {destpath}</instruction>
	</function>
</button>

The latest version (at least) requires the extra * in the arguements to make it work (if you're interested).

Still waiting on that DOpus implementation :wink:

+1
Admin ,can u do smg like turn files ..like total comander or intergration this program

I don't understand what you're asking for.

i mean the list of copy file ...add file to the list or remove smthg like this

I get an error message when trying to use TERA COPY and DOPUS

"Windows cannot find <?xml ... etc

:neutral_face: :neutral_face:
Confused I am !!!

ERROR MESSAGE when trying to use TeraCopy on DOPUS button
==============================================
Windows cannot find '<?xml.' Make sure you typed the name correctly.....\
==============================================

Anyone get this and more importantly, how can I fix it??
T.I.A.

sigmundtheseamonster, see the sticky post at the top of the Buttons & Toolbars forum, called How to add buttons from this forum to your toolbars, for instructions on what to do with he XML.

It's also linked in the FAQs.

Thank you dangel so much!!! The version from the first post only copier a temp file with the path - now TC works perfectly!

Are there any known speed issues when using TeraCopy to move/copy files to or from mapped network drives? I've just installed TeraCopy 2.0 b4 from their homepage and I'm getting slow transfers to and from my mapped network drives. When copying a 700MB file to the mapped network drive I'm getting 2.0 MB/sec and when copying a 700MB file from the network drive to a local drive I'm getting 8.5 MB/sec. The network is 100 Mbit, when I use Windows Explorer to move files I get 11-12MB/sec constant (measured using the "Network Utilization" gadget for Vista). When I do a copy on my local drives (either from one local drive to another or a copy to and from the same local drive) I'm getting very good speeds.

My details:
Directory Opus version: 9.1.1.7.3307 (installed today, no updated available)
TeraCopy version: 2.0 b4

This is exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for to use with Opus. No more blocking the lister with a progress window, and everything is queued.

The only problem I have is that Opus does not seem to update network drives when file actions are taken with TetraCopy.

It's an issue that also affects other programs. For example, if I unpack an archive with WinRAR from the context menu Opus does not update the lister to show the extracted files. If I press F5 it is refreshed and the files appear.

It only happens on network shares. It makes no difference if they are mounted with drive letters or just accessed by UNC path.

See Changes to folders are not always detected in the FAQs. If you still have problems please create a new thread for them in Help & Support as it's not really related to these TeraCopy buttons.

I just discovered TeraCopy here and I'm so grateful to this forum. It's a great tool and I will use from now on, on my large file operations. I do see a speed difference when copying/moving SATA/USB.

For me, a 3:30 min operation with DOpus, takes 3:00 with TeraCopy.

Are you sure TeraCopy is configured to copy the same information? e.g. Copying file attributes & timestamps can have a significant effect on copy speed with a lot of files.

No I didn't pay attention to the file attributes & timestamps. I didn't touch anything. Just using the default settings.

After a while I'm also noticing that sometimes TeraCopy when moves files, doesn't delete the small source files. It doesn't happen all the time. But sometimes par2 files rest behind.

I checked, TeraCopy keeps the original timestamps and attributes and is still faster for me. (But that little bug of not deleting small files is strange!)

Thanks for checking.

You might be able to speed up Opus with those USB devices by experimenting with the copy buffer size. There's no absolute best value though; it depends on the hardware/drivers.

Hi everybody, the original button code effects that the copying process itself fires off immediately after pressing the Dopus button. While this could be regarded as convenient, it deprives the user of the great interactive possibilities to control or manipulate the copying process prior to the actual copy process start. Maybe only the TCP author knows the command for the following trivial task: When i press the Dopus button, the (in Dopus10) selected items should be loaded into TeraCopy's GUI and the TCP target folder should be automatically set to the Dopus Destination Folder, that's it. ( I am not asking too much, am I? :wink: ). If the button cant be coded, then i can offer 2 workarounds.

ALT1:
step0: create a button with command "C:\Programme\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" Copy *{allfilepathdest|filem}
step1: select your items in the Dopus Source Lister
step2: click Tab to switch Lister (in dual view) and browse to your copy target folder. (This folder has become your Dopus Source Lister!, hasnt it?)
step3: click the button (step0). TeraCopy will automatically load all selected items from the Dopus Destination Lister into the TC GUI.
step4: when, in TeraCopy, you click on "Select target folder" (or "Copy To"), the current active Dopus Source Lister (which should represent your copy target folder!, see step2) is being suggested as (pre-selected) target folder. (This feature is thanks to the Dopus integration in TeraCopy 2.12)
step5: click on the "TC Copy" (or Move) button to start the process

ALT2: (my personally preferred way)
create a button with
"C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" Set *{allfilepath|filem} {destpath}
@nodeselect
..which will preset the Dopus Destination Lister as the TC target folder (but not load any selected items, unfortunately). You must then drag'n drop your (already/not yet selected) items from the Dopus Source Lister into TC GUI, and then click the copy (or move) button.

Whatever you like best! And dont forget to check out my TeraCopy Pro [TCP] review for Dopus users.

I read this thread and I made the two icons for Teracopy.
Now I would like to be able to use TeraCopy in DOPUS whenever I use the "CRTL + C", "CTRL + V", "CTRL + X" keyboard shortcuts since I use these more often then the drag&drop method.
Does anybody know how can it be done? I guess that I have to edit something in DOPUS's --> "Settings" --> "Customize" --> "Keys" in the relative keyboard shortcut but what and how?

Thanks a bunch! :smiley:

I don't know anything about TeraCopy, but assuming you've found above a command you want to use:

Go to Settings -> Customize Toolbars then the Keys tab.

Scroll to the entry for Ctrl + C.

Double click that entry.

In Function, enter whatever command you have found above.