Crash copying local to remote

Even more errors today while copying movies from a local drive to a remote drive.

See screenshot of error.

Anyone else having this problem too?

As with the other two crashes you reported (here and here):

It's probably caused by a shell extension, but that's just a guess based on the details known so far.

If you zip up the crash dumps and email them to leo@gpsoft.com.au I'll see if they provide more detail as to what's going wrong and how to fix it.

Please sent the crash dumps to us for investigation and we can see if there is a bug in Opus, or tell you if there is a bug in something else installed on your system and suggest a way to fix it.

(I searched my email but could not find anything from the same address as your forum account re previous reports.)

Hi Leo,

I emailed the crash dump to you.

Thanks,

Terry

Thanks for sending the crash dumps.

From the look of them, the thread that is crashing in every case is not one of Opus's own threads. In fact, there's no module (EXE or DLL) information about the threads at all; just a memory address which was or had become invalid by the time of the crash.

My guess is that one of the following are happening:

• A third party DLL is starting threads within dopus.exe (not entirely unusual) and unloading itself before waiting for those threads to finish. The code the threads were running then becomes invalid and the process crashes. We've seen that a few times with shell extension DLLs and plugins, although this seems different to me because there is usually some residual information about the DLL that had been unloaded.

• A third party DLL is generating code on-the-fly for some reason, and going wrong. This isn't something that anything in Opus itself does.

• A third party program (EXE, separate process) is injecting code into the Opus process, and it is going wrong. Code injection is quite hard to get right, and also used very rarely, but can be used sometimes (for both good and bad reasons).

• Something is simply going wrong with the crash data. (But this seems unlikely when it's consistently happening with so many dumps, and while Opus itself appears to be involved in a wide range of activities, not the same things in each dump.)

3rd party components are the thing I would focus on.

I'd use ShellExView to disable all non-Microsoft shell extensions and then reboot and see how things go.

It may also be worth trying with antivirus and firewall software disabled (or even uninstalled; some of them do not fully disable when told to). That it happens when copying across the network is a clue that it might involve a security program going wrong, but that is just one possibility.

Closing all Opus windows (except the copy progress dialog) is also worth trying, to see if it prevents the problem. if it does, something that the open windows is triggering may be involved. (e.g. If Opus is monitoring the destination folders, and you're copying videos and have thumbnails or file display columns that show information about video files, that might be causing code to be run that has a bug, potentially including 3rd party video codecs/splitters. This seems less likely than the other things I've suggested, in your particular case, but it's always worth checking.)

Drivers may also be causing the crash, e.g. if your network card drivers are not up to date.

On last question: Have you tried copying the same files to the same location using File Explorer? If you repeat that test a few times does it always succeed?

There are times that from out of no where Opus just crashes. I'm not even using it but the window is open and it crashes.

As for virus and network drivers. I don't have any antivirus installed because I'm behind an enterprise class Cisco router with minimal traffic. All HP drivers are up to date.

What's frustrating is when I open Opus and it crashes seconds after opening before I have a chance to use it.

Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Thanks,

Terry