Crash generating thumbnails

I am running Directory Opus 10.2.0.0 (4645) on W8 Pro (RTM - Technet) and have installed the large W8 update issued this week. But this annoyance predates that update, so I don't think the update is responsible. It may be related to EMET (I'm running version 3.5 of EMET.)

Issue:— If I open a drive which has the folders shown in 'Thumbnail' or 'Tiles' view and then scroll down by clicking on the slider and dragging D Opus will almost always close. I had Folder Content Type detection enabled, but disabling that does not solve this issue. But it does generally avoid having it happen!
I haven't had a close/crash with any 'view' type other than 'Thumbnails' or 'Tiles'. Changing from the 'Details' view to the 'Thumbnails' or 'Tiles' view and scrolling generates a close - almost every time.
I saw the Thumbnails - Cache had over 1,800 files stored (54.4 MB) so I emptied that. No change - still closes.

Event Viewer messages

Faulting application name: dopus.exe, version: 4.0.3.20, time stamp: 0x5059268c
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000b1231c8
Faulting process id: 0x1c80
Faulting application start time: 0x01cda937efe9a229
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopus.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 66388a2e-152b-11e2-bed9-0026832fb8a2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

EMET_DLL module logged the following event:
EMET detected EAF mitigation and will close the application: C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopus.exe

It's unlikely to be related to Windows 8.

Please see this guide for suggestions on tracking down the cause of the problem: Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories

Seems that the issue is related to EMET - I haven't had a close/crash since I removed Directory Opus from the apps monitored by EMET.

It's probably a 3rd party thumbnail provider or video codec doing something wrong that trips up EMET's protections. Those things run inside of the Opus process so if they do something wrong EMET will attribute the problem to the process.

I also use EMET* and have not found it to flag Opus while generating thumbnails, so while it's possible that it's a problem within Opus itself, if it is then it's likely to be triggered by a particular file in one of your directories. If you can track down that file then we can try it on our machines to see if it happens for us. However, in our experience, it's almost always something like a video codec and not Opus itself.

The suggestions in the guide I linked are worth following: Try to narrow the crash down to a particular file or file-type. That may in turn point to a particular plugin, shell extension or codec which handles that type of file.

(* For what it's worth, I'm only using EMET 3.0, which may be different. I've found EMET 3.0 to be so poor that I wasn't desperate to install the 3.5 beta versions, but I might re-evaluate that when they come out of beta. I've always forced DEP and ASLR on for things where possible, both for the added security and to help ensure that Opus works with them on. I have EMET 3.0 set to the maximum settings for most processes (Opus included) on two machines. Both Win7 with UAC enabled. One 64-bit logged in as admin, the other 32-bit logged in as a standard user. It regularly says that the Remote Desktop client or Firefox did something wrong and will be killed, yet leaves them running. EMET 3.0 has shown me hundreds of these warnings, but I have never -- not once -- seen it actually kill a process. It's good to hear that EMET 3.5 can actually kill processes that it thinks have done something wrong, even if it is affecting Opus in this case. :slight_smile:)