Crash on large zip files if description column displayed?

I've sent this to GPSoft but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem.

I've downloaded the Solaris 10 DVD files, five of them in zip format and have them sitting in a directory on their own. I've also got the Description column added to my listers by default. Now, any time I go into the directory with the zips DOpus' file_info and the display is set to the Detailed view, thread crashes.

I've tested it and it only happens when the Description column is on, if I just have the basic ones (filename, date, etc) it doesn't crash, but it does the moment I add the Description column. I turned off all of the file filters and it made no difference. I also checked and it happens with any one of the zip files on their own (I created five directories and put one file in each).

What I haven't yet done is checked to see if other large zip files do the same thing, I might try that later today.

So anyone else notice anything similar?

Damien

No... but I'm curious and couldn't tell from your description. Are you saying that simply having the Description coumn enabled while you are in one of these zip files parent folders causes this problem? Not when you "Go" into the zip file itself as a folder?

Correct, simply being in the directory where the zip file is and having the description column displayed causes it to crash.

Hmmm... I guess if it's "file size" related you should be able to reproduce easily... or else some meta-data for the file is messing up Dops reading of the description? I thought the description was just info in the descript.ion file and not something in the file itself...

[quote]
steje wrote: I thought the description was just info in the descript.ion file and not something in the file itself...[/quote]
The description field can be filled with other information if there is nothing relevant available via the descript.ion file or a registry entry. I think that's where the problem's coming from.

Zip files can have a message embedded in them that some zip tools display when you extract the contents. Opus shows this message, if there is one, in the description column for zip files.

As to why it crashes I don't know. Suspect it'll require giving GPSoft a link to the zip file so it can be investigated.

[quote]nudel wrote:
As to why it crashes I don't know. Suspect it'll require giving GPSoft a link to the zip file so it can be investigated.[/quote]
As mentioned they are the zip files from the Solaris 10 DVD, as downloaded from sun.com. Pretty accessible.

Damien

I can't find a direct link to a free download. After browsing around, I ended up at a download page that required me to enter my login, which I don't have.

Maybe you can supply us with a complete URL that points directly to the DVD?

Ditto on that, I searched around for a few minutes and only found some links asking for login. So... it seems it's not all "that" accessible :slight_smile:.

How about opening the zip file in some archive utility and seeing what the zip message is? Perhaps it's some weird character thing that you can copy into a small zip file and re-add as a message and reproduce?

OK, I also downloaded the Solaris 10 DVD iso's in zip format and have them in a directory on their own along with the pdf documentation and the resource DVD.

I created a Folder Format for that directory.
The view is set to Details and it has a Description colmumn.

I do not get the crash.
The description column of those 5 zip files is populated by ,
"Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, blah blah blah ...." .

I'm running DOpus 8.2 ANSI.

:opusicon: porcupine

Hello Damien,

I changed my settings so that the Default "Custom" Folder Format has a Description column and views Details mode.
I deleted my Folder Format for that specific directory.
I still cannot replicate your crash.

I can also define Descriptions for these zip files.
If a Description is defined it is properly displayed,
otherwise the Description column displays the Sun Microsystems verbose copyright notice.

I don't know why you are experiencing this, but I hope we can isolate the problem.

I've been able to reproduce this, it only occurs with the Unicode version. It's actually just a buffer overflow, caused by Sun's massive description text in these zip files.

I hope to have a fix for it soon.

Thanks Jon,

Does anyone know what the full copyright message is in these files?
I don't know how to copy it out .

[quote]porcupine wrote:
I'm running DOpus 8.2 ANSI.[/quote]
I'm using DOpus 8.2 Unicode...

[quote]BuckyB wrote:
Maybe you can supply us with a complete URL that points directly to the DVD?[/quote]
You have to sign up for a free account to download the files.

[quote]jon wrote:
I hope to have a fix for it soon.[/quote]
Thanks Jon, excellent news! Glad I'm not going insane here :slight_smile:

Actually I had an old account.
I found it in a password program on my HP48 GX calculator.
I still had to update the info in order to merge it with Sun's new database.
I think I had created it to download some Java programing tools and runtime.

Damien, I'm glad the problem is now moving to the solved pile.

[quote]
Damien wrote:

[quote]BuckyB wrote:
Maybe you can supply us with a complete URL that points directly to the DVD?[/quote]
You have to sign up for a free account to download the files.[/quote]

Damien, I understand that, but I think that if a download is really free then there is no need for an acount.

In any case, Jon seems to have found the problem, so I guess it'll be fixed soon.

To Jon:

"Just a buffer overflow"? Honestly, with all the critical software-patches for buffer overflows, is this eally "just" a buffer overflow? I hate to think what could happen if this buffer overflow was exploitable.

Then again, the term "buffer overflow" has gained so much notoriety in security circles... but it's really simple and a most common cause of program crashes eh?

• create 1 kb buffer
  • see 2 kb data
  • copy data to buffer
  • boom! overflow

This is now fixed and an update is available from the website.