Crash when unattended, involves FTP

Jon:
I'm also experiencing crashes since the latest upgrade.
I leave my computer on overnight and the crash happens when no one is using the machine (it's locked).
I have uploaded the crash reports.
DOpus.Minidumps.zip (45.2 KB)
Regards,
Martin.

Thanks for sending the crash dumps!

I've split this to a separate thread, as it's a different issue to the one it was posted in.

The crash you're seeing looks like it involves FTP. Can you think of any actions involving FTP which you're doing before the crash happens which might be the trigger?

We'd like to try and reproduce the crash by doing the same thing.

Leo:
The only thing I can think of is that I have opened a FTP connection and left the page active when I leave the office.
We frequently connect to FTP sites but none require TLS os SSL. We also connect to SFTP sites.
I can't say with any certainty that this was the case when the exception is thrown!
There are no Windows Tasks that use any FTP connections.
Maybe commercial programs that connect to a FTP to check for updates? I can't see haw this would affect DOpus.

Regards,
Martin.

It's probably not caused by another program. Don't worry about that.

We think it's likely to be triggered by a certain sequence of events in Opus, and possibly things like having the folder tree on, or using FTP in multiple tabs, or connecting to multiple sites (or maybe the same site) in quick succession. We aren't sure exactly what it might be though.

The problem happening while the machine is not in use may be due to the FTP connection still being active when you stop using the PC, and then later being closed after a timeout.

Do you know if any FTP tabs/windows are left open when the machine is locked? Or if any FTP sites are left expanded in the folder tree?

We have made some small changes to the code for the next beta which may fix the problem, having looked through the related parts of the code, but we aren't sure since we don't have a way to reproduce the crash or test the fix.

Leo:
I really can't say if the situation you mention was active, but it is quite possible.
Last night DOpus was closed (not the system tray icon, just the Lister) and no exception was thrown.
When the next beta is available, I'll install it and let you know the result.
Regards,
Martin.

1 Like