Crash using Find starting from a Localized Path

thanks for the 12.9.1 update to fix this issue ( Dopus 12.8.1 vertical bar support for wsl is not working/dopus crashes while encountring wsl softlink during find ), but it has led to serious application crash.

go to a directory which has many soft/symbolic links of wsl
open the find tab and start searching such that the you will have the results

this triggers the application crash.

If any crash dumps were generated, please send them to us so we can investigate:

If you go back to 12.9 does the problem go away? I can't think of any changes in 12.9.1 which would start to cause that problem.

It's possible the crash is not in Opus and is a shell extension something else has installed going wrong, but we can usually use the crash dumps to see if that's the case.

If there are no crash dumps, this guide has other suggestions on tracking down the cause of this type of crash:

I tried in version 12.9 still its crashing. I don't see any log being generated, but I see a dialog box.
Clipboard%20Image

If you see that then a crash dump should be generated. Did you look in the folder the guide says to look in?

sorry there were no dumps or logs in the folder for which find generated crash.

but I could narrow down the trigger for this crash, if the current folder is having wsl symbolic links and the filter condition should match the symbolic links name.

see the above sample test folder, search for 'kernels' in C:\Users\karthikeyan\prj\tstfilter\a\softlnk -> crash happens

searching for 'kernels' in C:\Users\karthikeyan\prj\tstfilter\a -> does not crash

Is there anything different about WSL symbolic links compared to normal ones in Windows created without WSL?

What do the Type and Target columns (both under the General category) show for those links?

200dpi_wc11588_dopus

Could you list the steps to re-create what you have? e.g. WSL commands used to create the links.

Are those links on your C drive, presumably normal NTFS, or is there a junction or similar involved and the folder in question is on another drive/filesystem?

And just to confirm, you've looked in %TEMP%\DOpus.Minidumps (e.g. C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\DOpus.Minidumps for the crash dumps? They'll only be found there.

Let me check the directory and upload if i have any dumps.

I used "ln -s" to create symbolic links in wsl. I am running Ubuntu 16.04 on wsl and my disk is ntfs formated. If you want i can upload the directory content as tar gzip.

dopus.20180618.002852.zip (27.3 KB)

tstfilter.tgz (457 Bytes)

this is the sample directory which triggers the crash during find operation.

Many thanks for the crash dump!

If you turn off Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Display localized folder names, do you still see the same problem?

If you no longer get the crash when that is turned off, we've found and fixed the problem. But if you still get the crash, please let us know so we know to look for something extra.

I have a desktop with amd cpu, and its not crashing there even before trying your suggestion.

The crash doesn't look like it has any connection to WSL symbolic links. It definitely won't be related to AMD CPUs either.

We think it might be tied to folders that have localised names, and setting up the Find so it starts in the path which uses the localised name rather than the physical path.

On the machine that was seeing the crash before, please check that the crash still happens with things as they are, and then that it no longer happens when the Display localized folder names option is turned off.

in my amd desktop Display localized folder names is enabled, but still no crash

my folder has special character * (a*)

invoking search pattern kerne* under a* displays all 6 files

but invoking same seach pattern under the softlink displays empty results even though 3 files matches. repeated invoking by pressing multiple enter key triggers the crash dialog. it happens even in my amd desktop

turning off display localized folder names fixes the crash but the find result window is still empty. so I guess it needs a proper fix.

That's expected. That is not the folder's real path by the look of things (you can't use a * in a filepath in windows, although I'm not sure it is really a *, it looks like a raised dot in some places in your screenshots), so if you specify that as the Find In path, it has to be translated into the real path, which is where the crash was happening. (If the translation is not done, i.e. when the option is turned off, then it won't find anything because the path you're specifying does not really exist, at least not on the Windows side of things. Only the translated path exists.)

In that case it will all be fixed in the next update.

I'll rename the thread to match what the issue is about.

in wsl its a * , by the way search works if you are right under the folder which has * , in my case a*. but it fails only if you go to the folder that has soft links to its parent

a*\softlink\kernel-01.cpp -> a*\kernels-01.cpp

The softlinks were not even being looked at at the stage the crash happened, for what it's worth.

I'd recommend not using * in any paths. It's a bit ridiculous that WSL even allows that to happen on an NTFS volume.

1 Like