Create Folder in Dest Named Source Selected File w/o path or

I have several hundred RAW images from my holiday and I'm beginning to process some of the best of them.

I have these RAW images in a Folder called "Photo Archive".
Beneath this structure there are various levels of subdirs.
For instance, my recent Holiday has a Dir called Michigan05 followed by subdirs of various locations that were folders of my flash cards. Beneath this are subdirs called Card01, Card02 ... etc.
All files in this structure have been made read only.

I used PathDup to create a similar Dir struture in a folder called "Photo Fix".

What I'd like to do is create a folder for each photo I'm working on within the duplicated folder structure in "Photo Fix".
So, if I find a RAW image of interest in "Photo Archive",
I'd like to select it in the source and with the Dest properly pointed to the corresponding Dir in "Photo Fix", press a button, and have a Folder Created named RAWImageName without the path and extension.
Pict0001.MRW would become the folder Pict0001 in the Dest.

Within this folder, I can copy the original RAW image and create a Tif image.
I can then rename the Tif to reflect the actual date and time taken based on EXIF data and then do further work in subfolders.

This can be done using batch files and 4NT, but I'm wondering if it can be done with just Dopus.
I'm using this button now.

sync: dopusrt /cmd Clipboard Copynames=nopaths
sync: dopusrt /cmd Set State=Dest
sync: dopusrt /cmd CreateFolder FromClipboard

This works, but doesn't strip the file extension though.
Well, is it another command line program to work on or can it be done ?

Mixed - No Folders Flat view is Great for extracting the resultant contents to another folder then.
That's the benefit of renaming the files to date_time taken, portability.

:opusicon: porcupine

You can use my little SetClip program, along with Opus's noext modifier, to achieve this:

runmode hide SetClip.exe {file$|noext} dopusrt /cmd Set State=Dest dopusrt /cmd CreateFolder FromClipboard

This isn't an answer for you porcupine, but in the interest of sharing digital photo processing strategies, I thought I'd chime in as I do a somewhat similar thing with a combination of DOpus, 4NT, IrfanView, and the Adobe Photoshop.

Like you, I take all my photos in RAW mode. However unlike you when I transfer them to my hard drive, I want them all initially in one specific folder where I can examine and further process them before eventually using DOpus to move them to a permanent folder for storage. Without going into the specifics it works like this:

I plug any one of my many photo cards into a card reader, or connect the camera directly to my computer. In DOpus I press a toolbar button called "Move Photos" which launches a 4NT script to do the following:

It searches all available drives for the photo card, and when found it copies only the raw images from it to c:\mine\photos\

After copying all the raw images, 4NT then launches IrfanView in command line mode to sharpen, crop, and convert the RAW images to medium quality JPGs.

After the JPGs are created 4NT then modifies the jpg timestamps and descript.ion files to reflect the date the photo was taken.

When that's done 4NT prompts me about clearing the photo card, I usually answer yes. At that point I can preview the medium quality JPGs using the DOpus viewer, and tick each one I really like for further processing. After previewing all the images I use DOpus to run another 4NT script to launch IrfanView in command line mode again to convert the original raw files matching the JPGs I have ticked, into TIFFs that are sharpened and cropped. The timestamps and descript.ion files of the TIFFs are also modified accordingly.

Then finally I use DOpus to select all the newly created TIFFs and send them to the Adobe Photoshop for final processing.

It works great for me and is nearly all automatic. I can pop a 512 mb card containing 77 RAW photos into the reader, hit my DOpus button and walk away for 10 minutes or so while the images are being processed. When I come back it's all done.

[quote]
nudel wrote:
You can use my little SetClip program, along with Opus's noext modifier, to achieve this:

runmode hide SetClip.exe {file$|noext} dopusrt /cmd Set State=Dest dopusrt /cmd CreateFolder FromClipboard[/quote]

Thanks very much Nudel !
That's just what I was looking for !
SetClip works great !

John,
I'm always open to different digital photo processing strategies.
Mine is still evolving, and who knows, by the end of summer I might not use it anymore.
Thanks for sharing your ideas.
I'll keep them in mind.

Regards,

Nice note John,
I have an excellent registered chimes program written by the now defunct Syntrillium Software.
It works just fine on Win XP. It is super configurable !
I prefer the simple Olympic Chimes setting, tubular bells with a Japanese Pentatonic scale.

Syntrillium Software also wrote the former Cool Edit Audio processing software.
I've always found the Canadian, St John's Bay, Goldwave preferable and still use it.
Lindberg flew over St. John's before heading to Ireland.

Unfortunately, Irfanview doesn't support the RAW images of my Minolta camera,
but it really doesn't matter to me at this point.
I find it is to my advantage to attempt some white balance corrections before converting to a Tif image.
Beaches and Island interiors are primary examples.
The water near shore can be rendered more transparent rather than blue with a simple white balance correction,
but it can result in too much Magenta color.
Deep Island interiors can be made vibrant green, as they should be and really are with a similar correction.

The good thing is that card prices are dropping fast.
Perhaps next year I won't need the blind computer to accomplish the transfers.
It's fun though. I took almost 6 GBs of 5 MPixel photos.
I have almost 3 GBs of cards.
I simply shop at NewEgg.com . Sadly they don't ship outside the US.
They are extremely reliable and have excellent prices!
I usually get my order within 48 hours FedEX.

Why not just use a config.btm file that among other things specifies what drive your card reader is on?
SET ROOT=J: for instance.
That's what I do and then add the check of the 4NT command
IF ( %FREE GE 0 .AND. %@REMOVABLE[%ROOT] == 1 ) GOSUB FILER
Actually, since the system is blind, I prove the partition cluster size of the card and then find free space on a drive of known cluster size.

I wish I could do the batch sharpen command, but the photo program I use is getting old.
It removes the EXIF data if I do this.
I does some nice things with compression though that I still use.
I can compress selected areas of the photo at different levels. Xat Image Optimizer Pro

I certainly DO appreciate the effort to automate the process.
Perhaps we'll get it yet.
Keep trying; I will as well.

Regards,

Note to other DOpus users, this is all off-topic and is likely of no interest to anyone who isn't a digital photo enthusiast. After this message any further discussion on it probably should be done via private email unless of course it deals with Opus.

I know there's several variations of RAW files, so perhaps IrfanView does not support the Minolta version of them. You do know you have to download separately and install the free FORMATS plug-in for IrfanView to process RAW files don't you?

That's the one downside for me using RAW files, there is no EXIF data embedded into them. It's also one reason why I update the converted file descriptions the way I do, to reflect the date the photo was taken.

The white balance is fine in my Olympus RAW images but after conversion to a TIF I use the Photoshop to create 2 adjustment layers in each TIF. One adjustment layer is a color balance layer to correct the slightly too high red hues. The other layer is a levels adjustment layer which allows me when necessary, to fine tune the overall color balance. One thing I learned real quick with my RAW files is I almost never want to use the Photoshop's Auto Levels command on them. 9 times out of 10 that thoroughly degrades the color accuracy when compared to what I saw with my naked eye at the time I took the photo.

I've got about the same, My Olympus C-5050 camera supports multiple cards so I can have a CompactFlash and an xD card in it simultaneously. 2 cards in the camera when coupled with the tripled battery life resulting from shooting in RAW mode, means I can take well over 100 7.5 mb 5 megapixel RAW photos without having to switch cards or batteries. In RAW mode I can take nearly 200 photos before I have to change batteries, in any other camera mode I'm lucky to get 75 pics.

[quote]Why not just use a config.btm file that among other things specifies what drive your card reader is on?
SET ROOT=J: for instance.[/quote]

Because my card reader is a removable USB drive reader. Depending upon what else I may have plugged into my computer, the photo card may be drive E: one time and drive G: the next. So rather than hard coding the drive letter in my script I locate the photo card by querying the drive volume label, which is the same on all my cards (set to PHOTO_CARD). My script locates the drive that has that label and assigns the drive letter to a variable which is used in other parts of the script to copy or delete files as necessary.

I have to admit if I wasn't able to process my RAW images automatically in command line mode that I might not take as many RAW photos as I do now. Because of the extra hassle that would be involved by having to manually sharpen, crop, etc each photo. So if I couldn't do it automatically I'd probably mostly take "normal" photos in Super High Quality JPG mode like I used to even though the color accuracy in those isn't very good. That's a problem with my specific camera however, I'm not saying Super High Quality JPG mode in other cameras isn't fine. The clarity of my C-5050 images is outstanding, but the automatic image processing it does as it converts the image to TIF or JPG leaves a lot to be desired. Hence the advantage of RAW mode where no processing is done. If you're curious as to how my digital images turn out, you can see a boatload of them on a web site I made a few weeks ago about a recent mini vacation to the Black Hills of South Dakota. When I processed those images I wasn't yet adding the color balance adjustment layer so there's a tad too much red in each pic but otherwise I'm pretty pleased with them. Here's the link to my site which by the way is guaranteed to cure insomnia.
johnzeman.com/

[quote]I certainly DO appreciate the effort to automate the process.
Perhaps we'll get it yet. [/quote]

It's a work in progress for me too porc. Just yesterday I further modified my 4NT script to have IrfanView change the DPI to 300 of each photo during the conversion process. I rarely print any of my digital photos and even when I do the cheap printer I have now shows no visible difference between images printed at 72 DPI as opposed to 300. But I figure one of these days I'll get a better printer and then if I want to print any of the photos I'm taking now, I'll be all set for the highest quality.