Custom command using input field

I would like to create a new toolbar input field to enter in a search phrase. Is there a way to create a custom command that uses an input field instead of a button?

Specifically, I would like to be able to enter a search phrase which operates like the find panel. Example, entering *.doc would search all directories using the path from the left panel and open a find results tab in the right panel.

Thanks

Not quite what you asked for, but perhaps close enough to suffice. Open the Customize dialog and from the All Commands list drag the File Filter Field command to any toolbar. You can then further customise to "filter as you type" against the active tab.

This is an invaluable tool. Personally I use it a lot, often in conjunction with Flat View, for finding .DOC, .TXT, .XLS, etc..

Regards, AB

Here's a visual representation of what I would ultimately like to have:

I know that I could just open the find panel, but... find is one of the commands that I use most frequently. I would like to have the functionality always available.

Is this possible to implement using the custom commands?

I have had some luck using the file filter command. Here's what I was able to come up with:

I can now hit control-f to focus the search filter field (file filter). I enter the wild card pattern and hit enter. I then hit the modified flat view button:

Set FLATVIEW=On,MixedNoFolders
set SORTBY/K Path

For some reason, the directories are still listed (bug?). I then hit the refresh button:

Go REFRESH

and now just the files are listed (adding the REFRESH command to the end of the modified flat view button does not work).

To go back to the original view, I hit the last button:

Set FLATVIEW=Off
Set CLEARFILTERS/S

which clears the filter and turns off the flat view.

If possible, I would like to have the flat view activated using the specified filter when I hit enter in the modified file filter input field. This would save having to hit the extra buttons.

The flat view with filter does seem to be pretty useful. I was using old-school thinking (pre-Opus) to implement this functionality.

Thanks for your help

[quote="joebodo"]Set FLATVIEW=On,MixedNoFolders
set SORTBY/K Path[/quote]

You don't include the /K, /S etc. things at the end of arguments in the manual. They're just there to tell you the type of argument (/K means Keyword, /S means Switch, I think).

That should be:

Set FLATVIEW=On,MixedNoFolders Set SORTBY=path

However, unless you have the Path column in your lister, the second line probably won't do anything as I don't think you can sort by the Path field unless it is visible.

A better way, if you always want to sort when using FlatView, might be to turn on the Flat View folder format and configure it to always add and sort by the Path column. Then your button just has to turn FlatView on and the second line shouldn't be needed.

Alternatively, your button could turn on the Path column before sorting by it.

[quote]Set FLATVIEW=Off
Set CLEARFILTERS/S[/quote]

Similar to above, the /S should be removed. You can also combine both lines into one:

Set FLATVIEW=Off CLEARFILTERS