Dark theme question

Hi there! o)

I found the time to tinker with the DO colors and theme import/export a bit.
I'm quite satisfied with the outcome, but.. on my win7 system with classic windows look enabled (design service etc. disabled), some elements in the DO window do not seem to be changeable in color?

• scrollbars
  • log/utility pane
  • status bar items
  • general DO windows

They poke my eyes now! o)
Is there something I can do about it? Thank you! o)

• Scrollbars: I don't think there is any way to recolor unthemed scrollbars, other than by changing system-wide settings.

(Even recoloring themed scrollbars, as we do now, uses something that is quite a kludge; it's just not supported by the OS at all. There is the new and very limited and very undocumented and constantly breaking/changing "dark mode" APIs, but they don't really let you recolor things, only switch between two different colors. We may use the dark mode APIs in the future, but the APIs are not mature enough yet. That won't help you on Windows 7, though.)

• Log/Utility panel: Can't be re-colored (other than via system-wide settings) but is on our list.

• Status bars: Which items do you mean? It looks like yours are using custom colors in the screenshot.

• General DO windows: As in dialogs etc.? Can't be re-colored at the moment, other than by system-wide changes.

It's probably time to stop using Windows 7 now anyway, since it no longer has security updates. :slight_smile:

Ah ok, thank you for the detailed response! Trying to make Win7 a "darkmode" Win7 is not a good idea, too many applications don't like that or look really ugly afterwards. So I guess I need to live with the scrollbars and things popping out like hell. o) Overall this is still an improvement, I dig the dark look for some time now. It should have been available for everything since 20 years. o)

The status bar looks dark yes, but the items (if any operation is ongoing), they appear in this "scrollbar grey".

Regarding Win7.. I like it! I will ride it for another year or two or three.
Not using Win10 might get inconvenient at some point, but where is the benefit of being "more secure", when everything I enter into the keyboard is officially sent to "their" servers?

Thanks! o)

1 Like

Unrelated to DOpus but Windows 7 sends data to their servers just like Windows 10 does. Windows is not the operating system to use if you're worried about privacy in this sense. Both OSs have software you can use to stop this: there's no reason not to use W10 :+1:

For Windows 7 you can get a custom theme which will change most of what you've mentioned 'dark' but that would require you to modify system files which I don't think I can recommend on this forum.

Nearly two and a half years later I still use Win7 at home, but for work I had to switch to Win10.

I was hoping the light/bright scrollbars would be fixed with Win10 and dark mode enabled, but it is not?!
Is it a setting I have to make somewhere in DO or is it still not possible?

I can surely live another 2 years with that, now that Win10 is a complete mess anyway in regards to design, style and configurability. Did anybody manage to set a space saving, non blurred, 8 pixels high font for taskbar (like Tahoma/8)? It's not possible it seems, very innovative!

Empty space everywhere, so you scroll endlessly and huge margins for items like in context menus and god.. it's a pain! Well, that makes it more easy to switch to a linux desktop I guess, they look sh*t for ages with all the different window managers they have. o)

Please don't mind my rambling.. still interested in the light scrollbar topic of course! o)

Recent thread with info on how to change the titlebar colors in Windows 10:

You have to change two settings, one for the active color and another for the inactive one. (In the future, we'll be handling it automatically in Opus, but that's still some time away.)

You should see Win11. It makes Win10 look like a masterpiece. Win11's theme is so bad it transcends ugliness into usability issues (particularly scrollbars and menus in software that actually uses and respects the system themes, which is less and less software these days).

But you're completely right, the look & feel of both Win10 and Win11 is bad compared to what we had in Win7. If only the OS was made by a serious company, we could simply choose the look & feel we prefer, but alas.

2 Likes

I already tackled the ugly/bright window title bar colors (to some extend at least).

Inactive windows have some kind of grey now and the active ones appear in nearly "win2k blue" as I call it.
So I would have to chose some very dark color for the inactive title bars to have dark scrollbars in DO?

EDIT: I tried that, it had no effect on the DO scrollbars..
but I can hardly see inactive window title bars now, I will revert for now.

Scrollbars and (top-level) window titlebars are unconnected.

To change the scrollbar colors, see here:

Thank you, I guess you got me wrong about the title bars.. at first, but this setting you linked to, it worked! o) It is not available in my Win7-DO (greyed out), so this surely is the one and only enhancement I will get from Win10. o)

Thank you, this looks better now!

The viewer pane scroll bar does not care though.. ?! Mhh, slight progress at least. o)

Themes turned off? It requires themes to work.

Not currently. It will in the future, at least for some viewers. (Some we have no control over, or run in separate processes which we don't want to start patching APIs in.)

Yes, my Win7 runs classic mode, the "Designs" service is disabled. o)

Ah, now I see the problem with the viewer pane bars, not necessarily DO context.

Thank you for taking the time and I liked how we agreed on a subject! o))

1 Like

IMHO Win7 for personal use inside a well configured network is still very much usable.
I hear that security update argument since Win8 came out, and it's practically no problem at all, even better, the system doesn't change anymore, that's pretty awesome.
And the software running on it is up to date anyway.

And yes, Win7 is the last OS which has a coherent design which manages to comply with new and old applications as well.

I heard the supported DX12 (>Win7) brings a performance boost for older GPUs (like GTX1060), that's maybe a downer, but it's not a big concern either in my eyes.