DATARATE field

Hi, I have downloaded lots explorer program (xyplorer - xplorer2...) and also Dopus 10 with its TRIAL certificate to know
what program satisfy my necessities.

Testing directory opus I have discovered a problem that now I explain and In addiction I want to ask you if you will think to improve program with addictional popup.

Field "datarate" showed on Dopus tooltip popup is the exact sum of Video Bitrate and Audio Bitrate, Showed on Windows Popriety Details, and its value is express in "kbps" as are showed field "mp3bitrate", but it is wrong!
In this condition when there is a high bitarate of mp3, "datarate" value is smaller that Audio bitrate (that are contained in it), and this is impossible.
Correct parametre is: (KiloByte= "KBps" and not "kbps") or if you want to use always kbps
must be showed "actual value" x "8bit" to obtain kbit.
Can solve this BUG?

There is some possibility to improve popup ToolTip with new field "Videobitrate"
to know the exact Video bitrate apart and not the sum "Video + Audio" bitrate ??

Are in my opinion very interesting other new fileds that shows the "number of frames"
that compose tha AVI (and same field also for Mp3 Music file), and for Mp3 files are interesting field "ID Tag" to know version of Tag, and "AudioCodec" to know version and kind of codec used,
similar as Dopus do for movie with its field "VideoCodec"

What do you think??

[quote]Field "datarate" showed on Dopus tooltip popup is the exact sum of Video Bitrate and Audio Bitrate, Showed on Windows Popriety Details, and its value is express in "kbps" as are showed field "mp3bitrate", but it is wrong!
In this condition when there is a high bitarate of mp3, "datarate" value is smaller that Audio bitrate (that are contained in it), and this is impossible.
Correct parametre is: (KiloByte= "KBps" and not "kbps") or if you want to use always kbps
must be showed "actual value" x "8bit" to obtain kbit.[/quote]

How the Data Rate value is calculated depends on how the file itself was written.

If the file's header has a non-zero dwMaxBytesPerSec value then:

DataRate = (dwMaxBytesPerSec*8 - dwAudioBitrate) / 1000

So when the file has all the information in its header, the audio bitrate is subtracted and should not be a factor.

If the file has a non-zero dwMaxBytesPerSec but it's bogus, then Opus will show something strange, of course.

If the file's header has dwMaxBytesPerSec set to zero then Opus is left to approximate the bitrate based on the file size and the video duration. The audio bit-rate isn't subtracted in this case. (Maybe it should be? I don't know if there is a reason it isn't.) That is probably what's happening when you see the Data Rate in Opus roughly match the Audio + Video rates in Explorer.

Apparently VirtualDub does (or used to, at least) set dwMaxBytesPerSec = 0 in the files it outputs:
VirtualDub: Why does my AVI file show strange bit rates in Windows Vista?

That page also explains what Windows Vista shows (which appears to be slightly different to Opus, and in turn different to what XP showed).

This isn't my area of expertise at all, and it's the first time I've looked at these headers/calculations, so I'm not sure what the right thing to do is.

[quote]There is some possibility to improve popup ToolTip with new field "Videobitrate"
to know the exact Video bitrate apart and not the sum "Video + Audio" bitrate ??[/quote]

When the file's dwMaxBytesPerSec is non-zero, the Data Rate column should already be the video bitrate. In the other case, maybe we need to subtract the audio bitrate... but there might be a reason that we don't do that already.

It'd just be Frame Rate * Duration so we could add that. Is it a really useful field to have for some situations? When do you need to know how many frames a video has in total?

Yes, that could be useful when cleaning up MP3 files, I guess. I currently open up MP3Tag if I need to check it.

Opus already has an Audio Codec field. It's in the Movie category but it works on MP3 files as well. (It will (almost?) always say "MPEG-1 Audio Layout 3 version 1.0" for MP3 files, of course.)

for this field I'm not thinking "MPEG-1 Audio Layout 3 version 1.0" but "Lame 3.98.4" or "Xing" or "FHG" etc...
the exact codec used to encode the music.

In the field that I must subtract the audio bitrate to obtain correct value, I think if is possible to improve Dopus tooltip using expression.
Example shows value on popup of result of "DataRate-mp3bitrate" or result of framerate*duration or multiply fields.

What do you think ??
Is possible create the result from user sequence of field using (* : + - ) ??

[quote="apollo13"]for this field I'm not thinking "MPEG-1 Audio Layout 3 version 1.0" but "Lame 3.98.4" or "Xing" or "FHG" etc...
the exact codec used to encode the music.[/quote]
None of those are codecs at all... they are "encoders" that use the "MPEG-1 Audio Layout 3 version 1.0" codec... and is available in infotips under the Music category as "Encoded by".

Sorry, I don't see that yet, but I'm thinking on it.

Perhaps it would be good to differentiate the text display of video data rate and audio bitrate. ? :slight_smile:
The existing texts 'Data Rate' as compared to 'Bitrate' seem a little separated from reality.
It has been my understanding that these are independent quantities. Am I wrong ???

I actually have the old Xing mp3 encoder. It was based on Audiograbber. If anyone actually wants it, let me know.

All I have for now ... busy with other things ....

I used Solveig Video Splitter and videoclip I have from last year's Superbowl to check this.

Video and Audio:
Video Codec - Lagarith lossless codec
Duration - 04:47
Frame Rate - 29.97 fps
Data Rate - 57157 kbps
Audio Codec - PCM
Bit Rate - 1536 kbps
Sample rate - 96 kHz

Video Only:
Video Codec - Lagarith lossless codec
Duration - 04:47
Frame Rate - 29.97 fps
Data Rate - 55610 kbps

57157 =~ 57146 = 55610 + 1536

Field "Encoded by" using "mp3encoder" don't run, it don't shows encoder user... as Xing, Lame 3.98.4 etc.
I have create different mp3 using different encoders without insert any Tags.
I test them and Dopus don't show this field.
Using other program as "Mitec Shell Extension" or "dbPoweramp" and other ToolTip programs
the field is correctly showed.
Where I'm wronging??

My default PC is under Win7 x64.

This does work here in a quick test.
Maybe post an example MP3 file that exhibits this problem?

Thinking more on this... I think there is some property in an mp3 file that shows the encoder that is separate from the "tag" fields? For instance, if I clear all metadata in either Opus or MP3Tag, and then open the file in a hex editor... I still see Lame in there at the beginning of the file. Not sure what 'property' that is though.

That's probably the LAME header, which stores info used for gapless playback, for example. Other encoders may also write a LAME header into an MP3 file, so it does not indicate which encoder was used by itself. (Same as many different encoders may write a XING header into an MP3 file.)

Scratch that. :slight_smile:

It looks like that data is part of the LAME/XING header (one is an extension of the other), but what you're seeing is another place that the encoder can be named, and it's stored within that header:

gabriel.mp3-tech.org/mp3infotag.html

I have tested Dopus also under Win7 32 bits but the problem persist.
I have attached my Photo of Tooltip showed by Dopus, (Picture 1), where there is not showed field
"Encoded by - mp3encoder" also if the string is correctly inserted.
I have attached my Photo of Tooltip generated by dBpoweramp, (Picture 2), for comparing, where
is showed correctly "Encoder" and also field "ID Tag", useful to verify version and then remove
Tags APE - ID3 Ver. 2 or other that user don't want, but unfortunately dopus don't have.
Probably the tags Encoder is insert in the header, but there is possibility to improve Dopus to
add these two Tags informations?
Must I equally attach one mp3 that have problem as "JON" has wrote me yesterday ??

What do you think to improve Dopus in other section, in order to auto change color of the name
of the directory underscored that mouse have pointed into "Breadcrumbs Full Path" ??
In this way, in my opinion, is more visible and evident the focus of user choice.
Now all the parts of Breadcrumbs Text have the same color: directory selected and other
directories of the path not underscored. (As Picture 3)

Best Regards