Date Modified suddenly changed

For the past week, I've been working with photos that I took on a recent trip. When I have the photo tweaked the way I want it, I put it in a particular folder that is organized by Date Modified, with the most recent on top. That was fine until a few minutes ago. Suddenly, I noticed that all the photos I had put in that folder for the past week bore essentially the same Date Modified date: today's date, with time stamps ranging from 11:11 PM to 11:15 PM. I have absolutely no idea what could have caused this to happen, nor what, if anything, I can do about it. Can anyone explain what might be able to cause such a change? Is there anything I can do to restore the correct Date Modified? One thought: Is there any way that my uploading these files to my website using Dreamweaver (I do NOT use DOpus's FTP capabilities) could cause DOpus to screw up the Date Modified times?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Seems much more likely that uploading these files using Dreamweaver could cause Dreamweaver to screw up the time stamps.

E.g. kb2.adobe.com/cps/159/tn_15931.html

You could see what the creation date on the files is set to - if that wasn't modified then you could use that instead. Or just use the Date Taken EXIF field which should be much more reliable than the file system timestamps.

Jon, thanks VERY much for your very quick and helpful reply. The link you provided seems to point clearly to Dreamweaver as the culprit, especially since I have Dreamweaver MX 2004. Though I don't recall this happening before, it probably did and I just didn't notice it. I did think about sorting on Date Taken, but for reasons too complicated to go into, that won't work for me as well as Date Modified. I'm going to have to think about how to deal with this problem in the future. Sigh.

Again, many thanks.

Just a comment on when file and shooting dates get confused. I prefer all my photos to have the file date as the shooting date and sometimes this can get messed up, especially if you use some namespace from a camera manufacture to copy files from the camera. Opus can easily modify any of the file dates from the internal EXIF data shooting date. There's a very nice script available to do this

For information on the technique used in this button see: "Abusing" Rename Scripts to do other things with file info

[url][OBSOLETE] "Abusing" Rename Scripts to do other things with file info]

Also there are many other things one sometimes needs to do which are difficult without but very easy with Opus. As an example, at Xmas I forgot to set the time zone when travelling so all my photos were off by 3 hrs so I used a simple command buttons to modify the internal meta data in the images themselves, then used the script above to correctly set the file dates on my computer photo store.

SetAttr META datedigitized:+3:00
SetAttr META datetaken:+3:00

As someone who also works a lot with digital photos I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here too. What I've been doing for the past 5 years or more is to rename my photos during the import process from the photo card. I change the usually worthless default file names generated by the camera to filenames that reflect the date and time each photo was taken in the YYYY_MMDD_HRMNSE format. This way the photos are naturally sorted in the order they were taken whether I view them in Opus or just about any other program.

There are several ways you can do the renaming, programs like Downloader Pro and Lightroom will do it for you, or you could write a script and do it manually after the import.

[quote="JohnZeman"]As someone who also works a lot with digital photos I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here too. What I've been doing for the past 5 years or more is to rename my photos during the import process from the photo card. I change the usually worthless default file names generated by the camera to filenames that reflect the date and time each photo was taken in the YYYY_MMDD_HRMNSE format. This way the photos are naturally sorted in the order they were taken whether I view them in Opus or just about any other program.

There are several ways you can do the renaming, programs like Downloader Pro and Lightroom will do it for you, or you could write a script and do it manually after the import.[/quote]

(I use freeware Stamp klingebiel.com/tempest/hd/stamp.php4 to do essentially the same thing.

I've found that if I include the "Date Taken" column, I get date and time automatically, and even when uploading the photos to the web changes the "Last Modified" date, the "Date Taken" info remains constant.