DCF Shortcut Behaviour

As you can see I think this shortcut moves the current lister to a target location.
When I run this shortcut it works but it does not always affect the current lister. Sometimes the current lister moves to the target location. Sometimes a new lister is opened at the target location. Sometimes another existing lister is moved to the target location.
It seems to have something to do with the copy/paste/yellow/red lightbulb modes built into Directory Opus.

This is a followon from help given here:
Shortcuts with relative reference:
resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... hlight=dcf

Any comments appreciated...

[quote]<?xml version="1.0"?>

2008-02-00 Jan
#newcommand

Go "\GJames\2008-00-00\2008-06-00 June\2008-06-13 CPOC"

[/quote]
2008-06-13 CPOC.dcf (287 Bytes)

What do you consider to be the "current lister"?

If you're running a .dcf file then presumably you're running it from outside of Opus. In that case it should cause the Source file display to change directories, or open a new lister if there is no Source.

The Source may not be the last window you were looking at. That window could have been in Destination or Off modes if something else was the Source. (See the video in the tutorials section on working with multiple listers to learn more about the Source/Dest modes.)

BTW, the path you've used is not an absolute path. It's missing the drive letter at the start. That means it will fail if you are on a different drive to the one(s) with that folder. (Though it can be useful if you want it to go to "that folder on the current drive," if that was intentional.)

Hi Leo
Thanks. You are on to my issue. The relative reference is intended.
I am playing a tutorial that I had not previously found. Is this the one you suggest?
pretentiousname.com > MuliListers.zip
If so, should there be audio with it?
It is a silent movie for me. I checked my laptop by playing a news video online and the audio was fine.
Thanks again for any reply...

There's no audio in any of my videos so far. I might add narration to future ones but I'm not sure... I like making them so people don't have to turn sound on and, if they're in an office, don't annoy people around them. :slight_smile:

Leo - Yes thankyou I guessed that when watching the video it is intended to be silent. I think I should retreat and watch it again so I can absorb more of what I am after. Perhaps I could just ask this - is there a universal switch anywhere to turn off the mulit-lister commands, or put another way default every lister as an "Off" lister. I do this manually currently and am looking for a automatic/permanent solution....

Why would you want every lister to be Off?

I would prefer all Listers off as I do not use the mulit-lister function at all. Indeed it gets in the way, for instance with my shortcuts....

Your shortcuts will only affect the Source lister, so having them all Off will break your shortcuts even more, not fix them. :slight_smile:

Leo
I am starting to see what you mean. I conducted the tests of different combinations in the screenshot and attached spreadsheet. The results in red are what I DONT want. The reality is that I am using Opus for navigation and seldom moving files around. So the mulit-lister function serves only to get in my way. I presume then there is no way to turn this off?

Are you running the .dcf files from within Opus itself?

If you're just using them as a way to create a relative shortcut from one folder to another then I think there are some better ways to do that. Not sure if that's what you're doing though.

I am running the dcf by navigating to the folder wher the .dcf file is using Dir Opus. Then I am highlighting the .dcf file and pressing enter. i.e. exactly as i would run a windows shortcut. I presume then this would be from "outside" Dir Opus.

All I am interested in at this point is a relative shortcut. Nothing else.

PHPBB_IMPORT_WARNING CODE_NEAR_LI

I think I have a solution for you.

[ul][li]Go to Settings -> File Types and expand the System File Types section. Wait for it to finish populating.
[/li]
[li]Edit the DCF file type (type "DCF" to find it quickly) and go to the Events tab.
[/li]
[li]Edit the Left double-click event and set it to run this command (leave the type as Standard Function):

Set SOURCE=Focus {filepath$}[/li]
[li]Click OK/Close to commit the change and close the file type editor windows.[/li][/ul]
That should be it. Now when you push return on a .dcf file Opus will set the window you are using to be the Source before running the command in the .dcf file.

BTW, this is not necessary for commands which are run from toolbars, menus or hotkeys. Those commands automatically work on the window they were run from, even if it isn't the Source. The problem here came from the fact that .dcf files are designed for running commands from outside of Opus (as well as being a way to share buttons with other people) and Opus doesn't do anything special if a .dcf file is run from inside of it. The .dcf's commands are still run as if they're coming from outside of Opus and don't have a natural association to the window they were launched from.

It's also not necessary if the .dcf file is double-clicked, instead of launched via the Return key, since the act of clicking the file makes that window the Source.

Anyway, that solution seems to work for me. Shout if you find problems with it. There are other ways to create relative shortcuts that you can copy to places (to avoid creating absolute NTFS links or absolute shortcuts etc.) but this one seems to work pretty well now.

Leo. Not for the first time - thankyou. I will try that out tomorrow. Look how many people around the world are looking for relative shortcuts. Opus rocks! Thanks again.