Delay on opening folders in My Computer (Vista32)

Hello,

I don't know if this is a bug, or if it was there from the beginning, i think i noticed it 2 days ago for the first time.

I have Vista32, DO9 runs in explorer replacement mode. When i'm in "My Computer" and dblclick on a folder it delays ca. 1.5sec before it opens the folder. Then there are no delays, but as soon as i want to go up to My Computer, it delays again, although less.

I think that's because of DO9 switching out of and into the Vista shell, but the slowdown is a bit too much. Maybe i have done something wrong...

Any suggestions? Anyone else experienced this?
jj

PS: Great program BTW! I didn't know i missed so many things... Until i tried this :slight_smile:

It's not normal for that delay to happen.

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus software to see if that's it?

Do you have Nero 7 installed? (See here)

Presumably the drives you click on are active and the delay isn't just the spin-up due to power management shutting them down? (Might explain the longer delay but not the short ones.)

Using Process Monitor might reveal some activity during the delay which could point to what is causing it.

Hmm, strange. No AV software guarding here, i always disable that stuff - scanning manually every week.

I unregistered the Nero .dll, didn't help.

The drives are otherwise active and power management is completely disabled here.

Interesting thing: while the delay happens, there is no drive activity; after that the drive suddenly begins to work (reads the folder sizes).

I'll investigate further with process monitor. Besides, the only new app i installed lately is AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, but again realtime protection is disabled. We'll see...

sv

Wow, process monitor is complicated :laughing:. I reset to the default filters and did a short log while the delay happens in DO9. But i cannot see any clues. Just DO9 doing a lot of action and at one time explorer.exe accesses the registry and the filesystem (...appdata/roaming/...../network shortcuts)...

Would it be helpful if i PM you the log? There's not much in there, only ca. 6500 events. It starts a split second before i click in DO9 and ends after the new directory has opened.

jj

Correction: it's ca. 2000 events long.
jj

I'd like to report that I have (or more accurately. opus has) this delay problem as jjensson dscribed exactly, it's really annoying but I thought it's not that important to report.

I'm not sure but I think I realized this symptom with the latest ver. 9.0.0.7

PS: I run the same version on almost identically configured dual boot Vista and Win2003 both 32-bit. The delay happens ONLY in Vista.

Confirmed. I tried a new XP installation on the same PC, and bingo - no delay with DO9.

It's annoying because often i click a second time, thinking that DO9 hasn't received my click, cause it shows no reaction for over a second. And when that happens every day, it could shurely amount to a showstopper for me. :frowning:

jj

You mention network shortcuts, do you have any mapped network drives which point to machines that are unavailable? Or shortcuts to unavailable network paths in the root of the drives you are double-clicking on?

Both of those can cause slowdowns, often in unexpected ways (e.g. the File Open dialogs or the Start Menu takes several seconds to appear) and can probably also affect Opus and/or My Computer.

If you run net use from a command prompt you can quickly see a list of the drive mappings and other network connections your machine is trying to maintain.

Hi Nudel,

Networks is not my forte. I typed "net use" into admin command prompt and the answer was: "New connections will be remembered. There are no entries in the list."

I don't think i have any network stuff besides my DSL router, wich in fact is connected through USB. All LAN stuff is disabled. So we can exclude network related issues, right?

Any other ideas? I still have the ProcMon log, if you are interested. From the log, to me it looks like it's only DO9 that's hogging with activity.

jj

Yeah, we can discount network stuff in that case.

Attach the log here or send it to me via a private message and I'll take a look.

Nudel, i sent you the log. It begins right before i open "C:" and ends after i arrive there. I disabled "automatically get folder sizes" for this test.

jj

It seems the problem is related to something in opus config made by the user, as when I reinstalled opus and run it with default settings, I haven't experienced this delay, but after restoring my backed up settings, the delay reappeared.

I can't pinpoint the culprit in my settings, so if anyone can give hand with this, it'd be great.

jjensson, can you confirm?

I had a similar experience once, both in DOpus and in Explorer, when expanding My Computer for the first time took up to one minute.
It turned out that was because of the scanner. I disconnected it manually, then connected it back and everything was OK again.

[quote="W0lfdale"]It seems the problem is related to something in opus config made by the user, as when I reinstalled opus and run it with default settings, I haven't experienced this delay, but after restoring my backed up settings, the delay reappeared.

I can't pinpoint the culprit in my settings, so if anyone can give hand with this, it'd be great.

jjensson, can you confirm?[/quote]

Yeah, i'm pretty shure that i didn't have the problem from the beginning. I have customized many settings and at some point i realized this delay issue. I have the feeling that the culprit could be some buttons i added.

OK, i'll try to remove the buttons and see if it helps.
jj

:frowning:

I removed all the buttons, then changed back most of my custom settings - no help.

Is there a way to set ALL the settings back to default without deinstalling? I'll try to delete the pref file, maybe that will do it.
jj

But there is no pref file... :frowning:
Hope we hear from Nudel soon, maybe he's found something.
jj

[quote="mark_d"]I had a similar experience once, both in DOpus and in Explorer, when expanding My Computer for the first time took up to one minute.
It turned out that was because of the scanner. I disconnected it manually, then connected it back and everything was OK again.[/quote]

My Computer shows no network or scanners here, i disabled this right from the start.
jj

Ok, since no one is willing to give hand, I had to debug opus myself, and I've found the culprit.

Fo those who have this delay, paste this in the Path Bar /dopusdata\Formats and press enter, you'll find a file named system.off, delete it, and opus will create it again once you open and close a System folder (My Computer, Control Panel, ...).

It seems this file system.off (Folder Format settings for System Folders) gets accumulated with time, mine was over 100 KB, and this takes time for opus to parse.

I don't know if this delay is because of the big size of this file compared to similar ones (maybe it resave data with each access unnecessarily) or ineffecincy in the XML parsing.

Jon, Greg could you elaborate on this please.

W0lfdale, you are a GENIUS! :smiley:

That was it. I deleted the file and now everything works as it should. Thanks!

I'm curious too what the masters will say about that. Strange that nobody has noticed yet, except me and W0lfdale...

jj

The file is here :

C:\Users***\AppData\Roaming\GPsoftware\Directory\Opus\Formats\system.off

*** being the user's name.

Well done.