Different View Mode in left and right panels

hi there guys, new user here: I discovered Directory Opus only a few days ago; I used many other dual pane file explorer in the past and I can't stay without one now. I think DO has a huge number of options and features that no other program have, it's great! Maybe sometimes is a little bit confusing, but I think I could get used to it!

So one of my first questions is - as thread topic name suggests - how to set dual pane so to have a different View Mode for each. In particular I always love to have Details on the left pane and List on the right one. Don't know if it's a matter of translation, but I still did not full understand how View Modes, Directories Options, Styles and Layouts work together, still trying here.
BTW what I first did to achieve my goal is to go to Settings ---> Styles and edit the Double Vertical style (please forgive if name differ from original ones, I'm using DO with italian translation enabled) picking for the Left Windows the Details view mode and for the right one the List mode. When I click OK only on of the tab of the right pane changed to List, the other ones were still in Details. I pick for every tab the Double Vertical style from the Style toolbar (even if it was already picked. That updated each tab each time. Then I completely exit DO and open it again: everything was OK. But if I simply close DO windows (ALT + F4), when i open again I see Details mode int he right pane instead of List, for every pane :frowning:
So I tried to disable the option that save the windows state when closing the program and then reconfigured it again as I wanted; same thing happened when exiting DO and when closing it.

Do you have any clue here, please?

View mode and other folder format details are usually determined by the folder. e.g. So you can view some folders in details and others in thumbnails, or change the columns displayed in folders with lots of music files, and so on.

If you want to always have the left panel use Details and the right panel use List, no matter which folders they display, then you can do that as follows:

• Turn on the Format Lock.
  • Set each side up as you want it to be.
  • Save that as the Default Lister (Settings > Set As Default Lister).

You may also want to save over Lister Layouts, if you are using them and want them to be the same, and to update any Lister Styles you are using as well.

In the case of Lister Styles, go to Preferences / Layouts and Styles / Styles and double-click them to edit them. You can see in the UI there are settings for the Format Lock and also the View Mode. Styles essentially have three states for such settings:

1. Turn them on.
  2. Turn them off.
  3. Leave them alone.

So with styles things are more complicated than just changing a setting and saving over the style, as you may need to tell the style whether it is meant to affect that setting or not.

Of course, if you default lister already has the setting turned on then the style can leave it alone entirely. That simplifies life, as then the setting is only stored in one place, should you want to change things one day.

yep, most of the things you explained I was already able to understand, thanks..

I don't want Folder Lock btw because I need List view as default but not for every folder. But I think I solved it, I was just going to edit my post and found your reply!

And what I did is change the Folder Options to List for left pane and then uncheck the first option in Default Windows: Ignore folders format in Default Window. Now it works, not sure how it will act when changing format for folders like Music, Images, Videos etc, gonna try asap!

EDIT: I have one more question, if you please.. What is the difference - if any - between Folders Formats and custom changing (and saving) view mode for a folder?
I mean, when I open Settings ---> Folders --> Folders Formats I see many different default customization; some are enable (checked) some are not (unchecked). I checked Images one to enable, then navigate to folders with images inside but nothing changed.
And I also noticed that most of default formats are identical, aren't them? Docs, Images, Film, ZIP, Music, don't understand why.

BTW I edit Image format to show Miniature as view mode, exit DO but still nothing changed..

The only working way is to manually select Images format from the Folder menu. But then I should save that format for that window, so what is the difference between that and change to miniature by myself without using Formats? I know I can do whatever I want, just want to understand..

hope I was able to explain what I mean.. :smiley:

well, guess I should read the Help file! :smiley:

I did not even see your edit until now. It's best to put new questions in new threads, else things may be overlooked.

Folder Formats: Detailed Guide walks through a lot of the details on how folder formats work, in addition to what's in the manual.

The default formats just are what they are. The different formats can be edited if you want different types of devices to be displayed differently, but out-of-the-box most folders are displayed in the same way.

sorry I didn't mean to complain about any missing reply: it was just a consideration after spending a few hours with DO! :smiley: