Direct Connect to NAS drive from with Opus 11

Hi Tech support,
Opus 11

I am trying to connect to my Synology NAS drive directly from within Opus 11 without first having to open a web browser in Win 10 and log in (with password and user name) and connect to the NAS drive from there.
If I do this, Opus will recognize and open the NAS drive as it should. Yet this is a very laborious way of doing things.
I tried to figure this out in the Command Editor, but was not able to do so.
Could you suggest a solution to this matter as I am stuck here?
Thank you very much
/

If you just need to connect to an SMB resource with credentials, Windows would normally prompt you for them when you try to connect. (I've only tried in Opus 12 and with a normal Windows server at the other end, so your NAS may be different.)

You could try using this command to explicitly connect to the drive with specific credentials:

net use \\server\share password /u:domain\username

(Domain is usually optional but might be the name of the machine in some cases.)

You could make Opus prompt for the password if you don't want to store it in the button, but see if the simple version works first, in case this isn't what is needed for the type of NAS.

If you literally need to do something via a web server on the NAS, and cannot authenticate with it in any other way, then it may be difficult to automate, but that would be an unusual setup.

I have a Synology NAS, and I don't ever need need to open a web browser to authenticate. Also I would not expect authenticating with a web service would also authenticate you with a windows network sharing (SAMBA).
Can you explain what you do in the Synology DMS to connect the NAS drive?

When I want to access the Synology I enter the address in to dopus using \\192.168.1.1\.

If you set the same username and pass on the synology as your windows account you should not need to authenticate at all. If you do need to authenticate, Dopus will request credentials.
You can store these credentials in windows Credential manager.

Directory Opus throws an error if I'm not signed onto the SMB server. There's no way I see of entering credentials from Directory Opus. Am I wrong?

I usually sign into the shares from File Explorer in Windows.

I use this on a button to access all shares on my Synology NAS at its fixed IP address.

@runmode:hide
@ifexists:\\192.168.0.254\home
@ifexists:else
net use \\192.168.0.254\home "{dlgpassword|Enter \\diskstation password}" /user:admin
net use \\192.168.0.254\home /d
net use \\192.168.0.254
@ifexists:common
Go \\192.168.0.254 NEWTAB=findexisting

You should be prompted for credentials automatically, unless there's something unusual about the OS or server.

(Assuming you are not using a very old version of Opus. Also assuming there isn't already a connection to the same server using conflicting credentials, which would also cause problems in File Explorer.)

On DOpus 12, I don't think anything is unusual, but do ask if there's anything specific to check. Server is a latest FreeNAS release. When I type \[IP address of the SMB server] into File Explorer, it prompts for credentials. When I type the same into DOpus, it throws an error out. If I login from File Explorer and subsequently type the same address into DOpus, it opens it normally.

It works OK here (at least when using \\server\share paths; I rarely go to the \\server top level; Windows 10 at both ends).

What is the error message?

I cannot figure out how to remove the credentials now.
Net \[IP] /delete
doesn't work.
There's nothing in the Credential Manager either...

I hate Windows... haha

What's the specific error message (and code)?

Type net use to see the mapped credentials.

It's probably using \\xyz\ipc$

Okay, a restart fixed it remembering the login. Now when I try to open the path in DOpus it says: "An error occured reading folder: The system cannot find the path specified. (3)".
Opening it in File Explorer it opens a login prompt, after logging in there, it works in DOpus too.
If I cancel the prompt, it shows an error similar to the one in DOpus, it's as if DOpus is simply skipping over the prompt directly to the error.

Now after a restart and logging in again, it showed up with net use \[IP] and a delete command worked. However, it deleted nothing, I can still browse. I tried "net use \[IP]\ipc$ /delete", it said that no connection can be found.

But why does DOpus not display the login dialog?

I've tested on a couple of machines with Opus 12.15.4 and browsing to the root of a server (that requires authentication) triggers a prompt for credentials in Opus:

Make sure you are not running Opus UAC-elevated as Administrator (it will show "ADMINISTRATOR" in the titlebar if you are), as that can complicate things like this.

The error message implies the computer cannot actually see the other machine on the network until File Explorer does something to make things work. When Opus is displaying the error message, are you able to ping the server, or does that also fail? (Open a command prompt and type ping a.b.c.d where a.b.c.d is the IP address.)

I've been having this problem for ages. I can only access the NAS via IP or domain after I first access through File Explorer (//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or //server name. I'm using v. 12.27 x64.

There's a change in 12.27.1 beta which might help with NAS (or Windows versions) which don't return the usual error codes in situations where they need a credentials prompt.