Directory Opus for MacBook Air

My wife is scrapping her old MS PC and switching to Apple. Can she use Directory Opus with her MacBook Air? If so can she use the same license that we have been using with our MS PC laptops? I saw some posts about related topics, but not exactly answering my query. Thanks.

Do you mean using Windows on the MacBook Air (under Bootcamp or Parallels or similar), or do you mean running Opus under OS X?

Running Opus under OS X would be nice for her if possible.

Opus is a Windows app so it won't run under OS X directly, so you'll need to use Bootcamp (to run Windows instead of OS X on the machine) or Parallels (to run Windows inside of OS X, at the same time) or similar.

I don't know how well (if at all) either solution will let you use Opus to manage files that are on the OS X side of things as I'm not that familiar with OS X, Bootcamp or Parallels.

FYI: Both my wife and I use DOpus in a VM without issue. She uses VMWare, and uses DOpus there constantly. I use it in Parallels routinely.

Hello,

I am looking to buy the new Macbook (Core M), but I'll only do so if Directory Opus will run work nicely in Parallels (I'm completely new to Mac).
I'm very interested in more detailed first-hand experiences if anyone were as nice as to post some?
Some more relevant details and also some more things I'd like to ask you, in no particular order.

• FYI, I don't want to use bootcamp.
  • I'd like to use only one partition if possible for: Mac System, Mac and Windows Documents and Windows/Map Program/App data, and the virtual machine's image)
  • I'd like to manipulate data on this complete partition with DOpus
  • I'd like to know about experiences with DOpus shortcuts, and retina font clarity (Windows 8.1 + Dopus on Parallels on a retina Macbook (Pro or Core M))
  • a list of drawbacks of using DOpus on the Mac
  • drag and drop compatibility
  • snappiness, keyboard lag
  • what happens when VM was paused and data was manipulated
  • refresh issues?
  • integration with Mac OS (Parallels' integr. feature + DOpus)
  • Problems with file system / NTFS access recommendations for DOpus in this scenario
  • if s.b. would be as kind as to post a screenshot of folder tree appearance, this would be great too (but probably not necessary)
  • further issues (e.g. hidden files) in HFS+ etc.
  • network drive issues, ftp issues?

Thanks a lot for ANY experiences, any feedback greatly appreciated.

M.

DOPus is not resource intensive, and performance is fine. Most of your questions dissolve. I'm been using it under Parallels with a Win 7 guest for years.

You really are asking more about Parallels' performance on the Macbook you end up getting (and how much RAM you purchase).

When you configure the Parallels guest, you can tell it to install in an expanding disk file. Thus, everything will be on your Mac OS' file system (which you are calling a Partition).

Parallels provides access to the Mac's file system through, and the Mac has access to the guest OS' file system - these are configured as part of how you configure the VM (and can be changed when you want).

Parallels has drag-n-drop between the file systems - I use it frequently.

Regarding "manipulated" data, your question is perhaps too general. Define "data" ?

I'm not sure what you're wanting wrt. Folder Tree appearance. DOpus' folder views look the same - just different folder names and hierarchy when exploring a remote file system (which OS X's will be under a Windows guest).

I don't use Win 8, so can't provide direct feedback on that Win variant.

Hello,
thank you a lot!
Sorry that some questions were more Parallels/VM-related than DOpus-on-Parallels/VM-related. Please allow me to ask/re-ask a few more that of that kind as well, though. Thank you!

1. Regarding refresh:
    1.1 One can pause the VM in Parallels. Let's say you have Folder A in MacOS Files system. You navigate to that folder in DOpus. You pause the VM. Now you add a new folder B in MacOS Finder, within Folder A.
    --> Now you unpause (=start) the VM --> How long does it take for DOpus to show Folder B?
    1.2 same as 1.1, but you don't pause the VM but simply create the folder in finder and immediately check how long it takes for DOpus to show up that Folder.
  2. As a Dopus user, I trust your competence/recommendations: may you mention which solution you sought to access NTFS volumes when working on the Mac?
  3. As a Mac newbie, were there any peculiar things to keep in mind when working in HFS+ with DOpus? Any special settings you recommend for browsing such directories? I read s.th. about files starting with a dot, for example, or any other tips you have for DOpus settings when installed on a VM on a Mac.

Thank you!

M.

PS. AAAAH that' would be so great if that would work!! I cannot live without DOpus and I's never move to Mac if it meant I would lose DOpus <3 :wink:

Off-Topic: Admins: You should allow at least a 5 minute Edit time window to correct mistakes, imho.

You're welcome.

1.x. File system integration is part of Parallels' tools installation. Software is installed into the Guest OS, which traps and handles various events, such as file system changes. This video demonstrates what you're asking about.

1. I only rarely directly mount / use NTFS partitions on the Mac. The solution is mentioned here:

macbreaker.com/2014/06/how-t ... -hard.html

Remote NTFS of course is handled via Windows File Sharing, and OS X can mount those as remote file systems.

1. Hidden files are hidden by the Finder in OS X by default (not by OS X itself), and don't affect remote file systems (such as your OS X volume shown in Parallels), so you just set the DOpus preference:

See the bottom of the Why can't I edit my posts? FAQ for why we cannot do that.

Damn! Unless I missed something, this works perfectly! Thank you so much for your efforts! :thumbsup:

Yippee, now I can buy the new Core M Macbook! Thanks again! And I can even easily import all my DOpus settings to the MacBook! That's like :opussanta:

(Was the gray layer supposed to indicated a paused VM? why was there "S7" written on the screen?)

Yes, the grey layer was the suspend of the "Windows 7" host (the name I gave the VM). I didn't want to make the video too wide. I had already started making it when I realized I should have placed the two windows one atop the other instead of side by side.

Enjoy the new Macbook.