Directory Opus Freezes after First Install

Greetings [All]

I'm evaluating DO and am very grateful for this opportunity.

However, after installing DO 12 for the first time - in a clean Windows 10 Pro fresh install - I get it hanging and crashing for every call (either as running it from the desktop shortcut, or from clicking on any folder, or double clicking the desktop). Curious enough, this will not happen if I run Opus shortcut as administrator.

Any hint will be highly appreciated, with thankfulness.

Cheers,

P. Oliveira

When you say crashing, do you mean there is a crash message and the program is then gone, or do you mean as part of the freeze?

Is the freeze forever, or do things come back to live after a bit of time (e.g. 10-30 seconds)? How long, roughly? (The amount of time often indicates the cause.)

If the program is crashing (as in showing a crash dialog, then exiting), it should create some crash dumps. If you zip and email them to leo@gpsoft.com.au I will look at them and see if it indicates what is crashing, and whether it is in our code or in something else, such as a 3rd party shell extension.

Hi Leo

First of all, tks for your care to a trial client.

I believe I was able to trace the pathway to this glitch and am going to report my findings here in the hope of helping similar cases.

I noticed that DOpus was working for a short time during every Windows start, till something being loaded - I thought loaded from autostarted programs - causing Dopus to crash from that point on. The crash was just a frozen DOpus window staying put. After crashing, no mouse click would trigger anything, and the only way to close the window was either left clicking a lot of times the mouse pointer over it (till getting that Windows pop-warn "this program stop responding..." and choosing "close it now"), or killing the process from Task Manager).

Then I disabled everything I could disable in autostart list, stepwise but no avail, till just bare windows items were left: the visible component left was just Windows Defender. As opening Windows defender, I found it was behaving pretty much like DOpus: opening during the first moments of a restart, then freezing again like a stuck window etc.

In the face of this, my hypotheses were either that (a) the turning on of Windows defender was causing DOpus to crash, or (b) the turning on of Dopus was causing Windows defender to crash, or (c) something else was causing both DOpus and Windows Defender to crash at once. I started probing on (a). I found a way to stop Windows Defender and hiding its icon, from some simple editing of registry keys. Once Windows Defender was neutered, I uninstalled Dop-us, installed an alternative anti-malware software and reinstalled DOpus. This done, DOpus turned to the most smooth run ever. Everything works as seamless as expected. I should also mention that this Windows Defender behavior seems to have started after the latest critical Windows 10 automatic updates, namely the packs: KB3189866, KB3188128, KB3176936.

I know my case is maybe too singular to allow any hasty generalization, but if someone else reports such behavior, I hope this report helps.

In time, I did not find a DOpus .dump subfolder in /temp; sadly I read your reply after uninstalling the defective instance.

Thank you again!

Kind regards,

Paulo

Glad you got things working! Many thanks for the detailed info and taking the time to relay it to us. It could prove useful should anyone else run into a similar situation.