GP SoftwareTwitter
Opus FAQsManualCommandsObjects

Directory Opus "Not responding"

Hi,

For some time now I've updated Directory Opus hoping it will solve a persistent problem that occurs after I've restarted my PC. Basically Directory Opus at some point within a day or two of me restarting, will effectively hang completely (showing the Windows "(Not responding)" in the title). It can take any time from a few minutes to 30 minutes, and then it is all fine again. This usually doesn't recur, but will sometimes do so. While one window has got stuck, all the other Opus windows won't work either. I presume some lock internally gets stuck.

I originally thought that it might be a disk hanging or something, but all other applications carry on working, and I can open a normal Explorer window and go to the same place and carry on working (just not half as efficiently). I upgraded to the latest yesterday, and it is, today, hanging as I type, so I figured I'd file a report.

What I'd like to know is if there is any sort of logging available to get a detailed view of what it is doing. I hope that I can then look at the log, and see that there is a large gap after it said "opening blah" and "reading blah" or some such that I can then pass on, or realise that it is looking for a server that hasn't existed for a decade. But without logging, I can't resolve it.

I look forward to learning how I can debug this, and live a pause free life. Thanks. Matthew

[ul][li]An extreme amount of disk activity can sometimes cause Opus to get bogged down trying to process all the events (particularly if the folder tree is turned on, although that was made much better in 10.5.2.0).

The Changes to folders are not being detected guide has some debugging steps which are usually used to see if disk activity is being detected at all, but can also be used to see if there is an excessive amount of activity. (Excessive in this case would mean the list of events scrolling non-stop, faster than you can read them, for a few minutes.)

[/li]
[li]The problem may also be caused by a shell extension.

These two guides have suggestions on tracking down shell extension problems (the first one is probably your best bet from what you've described):

Crash, exit or high CPU usage when viewing certain directories
Crash, exit or high CPU usage when right-clicking certain files

There have been issues with some cloud storage shell extensions recently, so disabling those is a good first step which may save time. (We have a change coming which may resolve some of the cloud storage extension issues, too.)[/li][/ul]

Thanks. Shell extensions is the best bet I think, as I went to a folder and right clicked on an EXE and it too froze.

However, in investigating another problem, I have found my PC is basically really falling apart as a Windows install, so I am going to wipe and start over. Should this re-occur, I'll be back to follow it up. Thank you.