Disable automatic horizontal scrolling

I would like to have the tree scroll bar stay to the left no matter how long the directory is, and then if I need to use it, stay where ever I pull it too. Thanks.

Do you know of any programs with trees that work that way? As far as I know it's not something the Windows treeview control can currently do. The only options I can find are:

[ul][li] As it is now.[/li]
[li] Turn on "automatic" horizontal scrolling where there's no horizontal scrollbar and the tree guesses how much to scroll horizontally based on the mouse pointer, tree contents and vertical scrollbar position (like Explorer in Windows Vista).[/li]
[li] Turn off horizontal scrolling completely, including removal of the scrollbar, so you can't scroll the tree to the right (like Explorer in Windows 7).[/li][/ul]

If you can point to an app that uses standard Windows tree control and does what you want, I'll see if I can work out how it does it.

[quote="leo"]
How would you want the tree to behave? Like Explorer in Windows 7 where it never scrolls at all? (Doesn't even have a scrollbar in fact.) Or something else? I'm not sure what's possible with the tree control off the top of my head but it might be possible, if a feature request is sent to GPSoftware.[/quote]A related question. Is it possible to stop the tree from following my navigation in the lister (just like in explorer)? I.e. the tree changes only when I click on the tree and is unaffected by my actions in the lister. I use the tree primarily to quickly navigate to places which are "far" from my current location in the lister. When it follows your navigation in the lister, it kind of becomes useless.

Yes, that's what the lock button is for.

Hi Jon,

I'm having issues as it doesn't remeber the lock button once its locked. This has happened since the updated version.

See this thread Folder Tree Won't open in default setup

Cheers,

[quote="jon"]Yes, that's what the lock button is for.[/quote]Ah! Thank you.

Hi,

Jon this problem is still around on my system.
Cheers,

I told you how to fix it already. Just change the lock and then save over your default lister, or whatever layout (and/or styles) you are opening.

If saving over one thing didn't make a difference then the thing you saved over must not be the thing you are opening. If you've changed things so it's not the Default Lister being opened then you need to work out what you are opening and update it.

Hi Leo,

This is what I have done over and over which I can't seem to find anything unless I may have missed something through.

I might think this is a bug since the updated version. Anymore more thoughts throw them this way.

Cheers, :smiley:

I doubt it. It works fine for me and I don't think there have been any recent changes in that area.

The first step you need to do is work out what you are actually opening. Based on the action you perform to open the window (e.g. double-clicking the tray icon), find the corresponding settings for that action in Preferences and see what they open. That is the thing you need to update.

Leo,

Since the updated version its not holding the lock button.

This is the procedure I did below.

Lock the button.
Update style and preference settings.
Save as the default lister.

Have I missed anything.

Cheers, :smiley:

Yes. Specifically, the thing I said to do in the text you just quoted.

Leo,

What is missed......

My preferences are as:

Launching Opus

From the Desktop - Open a saved Lister Layout - My Style
From the taskbar icon - Open a saved lister layout - My Style
Startup - Don't open any Listers

1). Lock the button.
2). Update style and preference settings.
3). Save as the default lister.

Cheers, :confused:

If you're opening a layout then that layout should be all you need to update.

You say "update style" -- Do you mean your layout called My Style, or do you mean a style? You're really confusing things by calling one of your layouts "My Style" because layouts and styles are different things. Makes me wonder if you are opening and/or updating the things you think you are.

[quote="leo"]If you're opening a layout then that layout should be all you need to update.

You say "update style" -- Do you mean your layout called My Style, or do you mean a style? You're really confusing things by calling one of your layouts "My Style" because layouts and styles are different things. Makes me wonder if you are opening and/or updating the things you think you are.[/quote]
Leo in DOpus next to single I have created my own layout style.

I will try this again sorry to confuse you and thank you for your help.

My preferences: PREVIOUS

Launching Opus

From the Desktop - Open a saved Lister Layout - Blade007
From the taskbar icon - Open a saved lister layout - Blade007

Now what I have done just changed the setting in my preferences:

NOTE: These are new changes.

From the Desktop - Open the default Lister Layout - Blade007
From the taskbar icon - Open a Default Lister layout - Blade007

1). Lock the button.
2). Update style and preference settings.
3). Save as the default lister.

Now it works.

What I have lost is in folder tree how do I get it to focus on COMPUTER when I open a lister.

Cheers,

Layouts are not Styles.

Your preferences were set to open a Layout. You never updated that layout. i.e. The layout you were opening never changed because you never changed it.

To update a layout, use Settings -> Lister Layouts -> Save This Lister (or Save All Listers if you want a multi-window layout).

Updating a style has no effect on any layouts.

Updating the default lister also has no effect on layouts. (But now that you have changed your preferences back to normal -- i.e. so they open the default lister instead of a layout -- updating the default lister is the right thing to do when you want to change what you see when you open a new window.)

[quote="leo"]Layouts are not Styles.

Your preferences were set to open a Layout. You never updated that layout. i.e. The layout you were opening never changed because you never changed it.

To update a layout, use Settings -> Lister Layouts -> Save This Lister (or Save All Listers if you want a multi-window layout).

Updating a style has no effect on any layouts.

Updating the default lister also has no effect on layouts. (But now that you have changed your preferences back to normal -- i.e. so they open the default lister instead of a layout -- updating the default lister is the right thing to do when you want to change what you see when you open a new window.)[/quote]

Hi Leo,

Thanks alot all fixed. How do I get the focus to land on COMPUTER in the folder tree as highlighted which I use to have.

FYI this has all came about since the updated version so when I did restore either I didn't do it right or it lost the settings.

Cheers, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

After reading this thread I know which option my money is on :stuck_out_tongue:

After reading this thread I know which option my money is on :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]
Show me the MONEY you would hope so as this all came about since the updated install. :smiley:

So when I open DOpus how do I get it to focus back to COMPUTER in the folder tree in vista. This use to do it before this all went crazy.

Cheers, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It's got nothing to do with the update, nor with this thread.