Disabling file deselection

G'Day,

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find any references to it using the forum search.

How do you disable file deselection following an operation?
I want my selected files to stay selected even after an operation (ie copy, cut etc.) has completed.

Cheers,
Sam.

Edit the button and add @nodeselect on the first line of the command.

So there's no way of disabling it globally?
I ask because there's no specific buton or command that I want it disabled for, i want it disabled for all commands (the same way windows explorer works).

Cheers.

Not that I'm aware of.

It's a relatively simple job to edit buttons to add this line though.

Alternatively, on the default toolbar (5th button from the left) the right mouse function will reselect all files that were used in the previous command.

I will post a feature suggestion. I also think a global file deselection option would be useful.

[quote="tanis"]Not that I'm aware of.

It's a relatively simple job to edit buttons to add this line though.

Alternatively, on the default toolbar (5th button from the left) the right mouse function will reselect all files that were used in the previous command.[/quote]

Ah, cool. That will make life a bit less painful. But yeah, I think a global feature that lets you enable/disable deselection would be very useful. Particularly because not deselecting is the default Windows Explorer behaviour, so it would make new users a bit moer comfortable.

I never really understood why you'd want your files to be deselected after an operation in the first place, it has always annoyed me.

I don't get it either. Sometimes Opus just does things "differently" without any reason that I can understand. The column sort arrows are another example of this.

[quote="Shadowfax"]Ah, cool. That will make life a bit less painful. But yeah, I think a global feature that lets you enable/disable deselection would be very useful. Particularly because not deselecting is the default Windows Explorer behaviour, so it would make new users a bit moer comfortable.

I never really understood why you'd want your files to be deselected after an operation in the first place, it has always annoyed me.[/quote]

It's really legacy behavior - a hold over from the original Amiga version. For those that never used the Amiga, there was no concept of the "Explorer" style display modes (Details, List, etc) where it is so easy to deselect files (especially accidentally - and conversely, so hard to select files in the first place).

The Amiga version only had the 'Power' mode concept that Opus has today, where files stay selected until either you deselect them manually (or using the Select command), or a function operates on them. Once a function had operated on the files they were deselected.

Actually, the very VERY first versions of Opus on the Amiga didn't even have progress dialogs - the files were deselected one at a time as they were used by the function. People were so used to manually selecting/deselecting files and using the Select command that there was never an issue about the way this worked.

Incidentally, this is also the origin of the 'Select None' command. Because you couldn't deselect everything by simply clicking in an empty spot, there was a command to do this for you. It was carried over to the Windows version and is still useful in Power mode but in the Explorer-style modes is not really useful.

Note that with the exception of Delete (after which your files are gone anyway) and Copy/Cut to clipboard, Explorer doesn't really have the concept of operating on selected files, so a comparison with Explorer is not really valid (in my opinion.)

Would a global 'Do not deselect files after functions' option be helpful here, for those people who don't like the way Opus currently operates by default?

And again, this is a legacy of the Amiga version. You can easily change it if you don't like it.

(Incidentally - when we first started developing Opus on Windows, Explorer didn't even HAVE arrows in the column headers. So not only did Microsoft copy us, but THEY were the ones who got it wrong :slight_smile: )

[quote="Rhywun"]
I don't get it either. Sometimes Opus just does things "differently" without any reason that I can understand. The column sort arrows are another example of this.[/quote]

Heh, that doesn't implicate:
a) there's no reason
b) "the other way" is better

:slight_smile:

X.

That would be nice. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jan

[quote="Xyzzy"]Heh, that doesn't implicate:
a) there's no reason
b) "the other way" is better[/quote]

Oh, I didn't doubt there were reasons, just that I could ever guess them :slight_smile:
But Jon explained them fairly well.

I would find a global "do not deselect" option to be useful too.

DONE!

From v9.0.07 release notes:

1 Like

Nice!