Display colors & options

Hi everyone, I've been playing around with the colors & icons & I have a few questions. My screenshot is attached.

1. How do I change all the white? There's the white border around all the toolbars, around the listers, the separators on the toolbars, the background of the location bar boxes, column headings, scrollbars, etc.

2. How do I change the default folder icon - both in detail view & in thumbnail view? I don't like the default yellow folder.

3. I don't understand how to get the active lister bar as a different color than the inactive lister bar. I've changed every combination I can think of in the source & destination / active & inactive options. But they are both the same color so it's very hard to see which is the active lister. And what is the "off lister border"? I wanted the active lister's bar to be tan w/black text & the inactive to be purple with tan text. But they're both showing up as tan w/black text.

Thanks for your help!

Q1: You have to change those colors in Windows (open Classic Appearance Properties for the color options). As far as I know DOpus can't change them.

Q2: The Yellow Thumbnails Folder can't be changed. For other folder colors / icons: [Color Folder Icons)

Q3: Settings -> preferences -> display -> Colors & Fonts -> Other Colors -> destination border / source border

OK thanks for the answers on 1 & 2. That gives me some more options to play with :slight_smile:

Regarding 3, that's the setting I've already done but it's still showing the same colors on both lister's title bars. So I don't think I'm understanding the settings. Destination border active is tan, inactive is purple. Source border active is tan, inactive is purple. So shouldn't the inactive be purple? But they are both tan.

The "inactive" colors are used when the top-level window is inactive, not the file displays within the window. (If a file display is active it's always the source.)

PS: This may be of interest from the FAQs: Change the default folder icon in Opus.

You have to use different colors for the destination and source border:

For example: Destination border active is green; Source border active is red.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I fixed the folder icons in details view & I fixed the source/destination title bars. As far as the other white in the window, if it's controlled by Windows, I'm pretty much out of luck unless I take off the Vista appearance. I would have to revert to Windows Classic appearance then change the colors manually - or use a Vista theme patch so that I can apply custom themes & I'm not so sure I want to mess with that yet. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Vista doesn't stop you changing the standard window colours, it just hides them deeper in the control panels (like it does with most of the old control panels :slight_smile:).

Open the Window Color and Appearance control panel (where you can set the Aero glass colour), then click Open classic appearance properties for more color options, then click Advanced.

That's where I went but once there, you get a message saying "colors & sizes selected here only apply if you have selected a Windows Classic color scheme. If any other scheme is applied, these colors & sizes might not appear." Well I have the Aero color scheme applied & I made several changes here in the classic appearance properties but they did not take effect - like changing the scroll bar size, the window color - even the window title bar - nothing worked. And the scroll bar color is not even an option. The color under that option is grayed out. I googled it & the only thing I found was that the scrollbar color could only be changed by a third party program, or to patch Windows system files that allow you to use third-party themes.

I'd expect the Window and 3D Object colours to be used for some of what you want to change but I might be wrong.

Changing the scrollbars and list headings requires changing the Windows visual style. Not sure if you can do that and keep Aero glass. (I've never found a visual style I liked enough to try it.)

Take all of this mostly as in my opinion. Your mileage may vary. Offer expires while you wait. And other similar disclaimers may also apply.

When choosing a Windows theme or customizing Windows theme colors, you will be faced with the following conundrum. It is difficult to choose one color for a given window element that works well in the color schemes of all Windows programs. This is especially true when either of the following situations are true, and it is near-impossible if both of them are true:[ol][li] You are using a modern Windows XP theme (e.g. Luna Blue or Luna Silver) or a modern Windows Vista theme (e.g. Aero Glass), as opposed to using a customized Windows Classic theme (i.e. square window corners and windows control buttons).
[/li]
[li] A Windows program overrides some or most (but not all) of the Windows theme colors either by hardcoding them or by offering the user customizable options.[/li][/ol]Directory Opus squarely falls into situation B. Opus currently offers the user customizable colors for about 80% of its window elements. However, the colors for the remaining window elements are pulled from the current Windows theme. This remains a barrier to developing a complete Opus theme that differs greatly from your current Windows theme.

For example, say you desire an Opus theme that uses a dark color scheme for its toolbars, menus, and window backgrounds. But you are currently using Visa Aero Glass as your Windows theme. In such a scenario, your Opus theme is not going to look unified, since it will inherit colors for some of its window elements from Vista Aero Glass. And in general, these colors were designed for a lighter color scheme (white window backgrounds, light gray menus, column headers, et cetera). Furthermore, only a scarce few colors can be customized in Windows themes such as Windows Vista Aero Glass or Windows XP Luna Blue/Silver. And for the colors that can be customized, it is near impossible to choose colors such that will work well both in the Windows theme and in your dark Opus theme.

Given such limitations, my advice for Opus theme development is to choose and customize your Windows theme first. Then, build your Opus theme off the same general color scheme used by your Windows theme. Currently, this is the only way to arrive at a unified Opus theme where the colors of all Opus window elements look like they belong together.

As far as I'm aware, the following Windows Theme colors (on both XP and Vista) affect the corresponding Opus colors (This list is by no means complete, it is just to show the extent.)
[ol]
[li] 3D Objects[ul]
[li] Folder Tree Pane border[/li]
[li] Contacts List Pane border[/li]
[li] Utility Panel border (around the panel itself)[/li]
[li] Viewer Pane border[/li]
[li] 3D borders on graphs (see Opus Relative Size and Relative Age)[/li]
[li] Border between adjacent toolbars[/li]
[li] Divider between adjacent toolbar buttons or menu items.[/li][/ul]
[/li]
[li] Windows (i.e. a window's background color)[ul]
[li] Default file display background color.[/li]
[li] Opus file display background color when displaying a virtual folders (Computer, Control Panel, etc.).[/li]
[li] All Opus fields (i.e. Path Field, Filter Field, Format Field, etc.).

NOTE: On Vista only, the Opus Command Field (where you can type in Opus raw commands and execute them) doesn't pick up the window background color until it has the system focus. So this field will always appear white in Opus, until you actually use it. (Notice in the screengrab with magenta and chartreuse, that this field in the upper right corner is white, yet the Folder Path field next to it has been changed.)[/li][/ul][/li][/ol]

The following Windows colors can never be manually customized when using a Windows Vista theme (such as Vista Aero Glass) or a Windows XP theme (such as Luna Blue or Silver). Futhermore, you cannot customize colors for these window elements in Opus, which pulls these colors and any related effect (e.g. glass) from the Windows theme. (This list is by no means complete, it is just to show the extent.)

[ul]
[li] Scrollbars, scrollbar handles, scrollbar arrows, scrollbar backgrounds. [/li][li] Column headers.[/li]
[li] Some buttons (see Opus Utility Panel)[/li]
[li] Dialog Tabs (see Opus Folder Tabs and Utility Panel Tabs)[/li]
[li] Some 3D borders:[ul]
[li] Opus utility panel (around a group of settings)[/li]
[li] Tabbar 3D border[/li]
[li] File Display 3D border (i.e. thin line immediately around file list)[/li]
[li] Status bar 3D border[/li]
[li] Status bar 3D section dividers[/li]
[li] Folder Tab 3D effect[/li][/ul][/li]
[li] Dialog Label backgrounds (see Opus utility panel)[/li]
[li] List boxes and combo-boxes[/li]
[li] Check Boxes and Option Push-Buttons.[/li]
[li] Some 3D text (see Opus Folder Tabs names)[/li][/ul]

However, most of the items listed above can be changed when using a Classic Windows Theme on either Vista or XP.

I've attached three screen grabs. In the prettiest one, I'm running windows Vista using customized Classic Windows theme that uses primarily dark colors, which complement my Gray Leather Opus theme. You will see that all the borders, buttons, and fields look like they all belong together (despite if you like my color choices or not). In another screen grab, I'm using the same Opus theme, but with the Windows Vista Aero Glass theme, untouched. In this screen grab you can see all the white showing up where Opus has drawn Glass-effects buttons and 3D borders pulling the color choices from the Vista Aero Glass theme.

In the third screen grab, I have customized the 3D Border color (magenta) and the Window color (chartreuse) of the Windows Aero color scheme. (Yes, some Aero Glass colors can be customized.) I have made these rather atrocious color choices so as to draw attention to where Opus applies them.

One thing I wish Opus would do is apply the 3D Border color in more places (see Some 3D borders list above).

Great post Ken, this one is FAQ worthy. Those last 2 pictures especially explain a ton on how the color mapping stuff works.

I know this is a dead thread but I could kiss you, Ken!!! I nearly went NUTS trying to find a way to change the 3D stuff. Now all I need is a way to change the Windows default outline colour. Meanwhile I will fiddle till I find something less offensive that goes with my "theme".

Robin