Display drive letter suggestion

The Display drive letter in tab label preference is useful for distinguishing between folders with the same name on different drives. The down side is that the drive prefix - e.g. (C:) - materially increases the width of each tab. Limiting the prefix to folders that are not on the System drive would save space without compromising the ability to distinguish folders with the same name.

This could be implemented as a sub-option of Display drive letter in tab label giving the user a choice between no prefixes, all folders prefixed, and non-System disk folders prefixed.

Regards, AB

Why restricting this to the system drive? If you could enter a list of drives it would be good for everyone (e.g. show letters only for my backup drives).

Personally... I think an option to change such a thing at a particular drive level might just be kind of unwieldy. I also have times where I want to see the drive letter on certain drives, but then times on those same drives when I do NOT. For the most part, when I DO want to see drive letters - it's on known sets of folders I've gone ahead and set up in folder tab groups - where I use the feature to explicitly name the tabs with their root drive letters shown = (%R:). But there are times other than those where I might go either way (drive or no drive).

Before v11 - I had thought about asking for a RAW command to toggle the Display drive letter in tab label option - but just never got around to it.

Would either of you find the ability to easily TOGGLE the drive letters in folder tab labels useful? Instead of giving us a RAW command like I had at one point thought would be good... maybe GPSoft could do something to satisfy this recent post you made AB: Script access to read/change tab label?

...Was this part of why you posted that thread? If we had tab name info in the tab object, we could easily write a script that set and unset a lister environment variable - and depending on the var state, would loop through all tabs in the current lister, and either REMOVE any explicit tab names - or SET them to something like what I use in my folder tab groups = b %N[/b]... in order to give you a quick way of figuring out which tab is from which drive, even if you just need it momentarily (then toggle the names back to normal).

That's a good reason to handle this thing by script, don't you think? You could create a button then, which simply enables/disables DriveLetters in your tab-lables, controlling the "tab-label generator" in the back.. o)

As this seems related to some other thread here, you hopefully don't mind me linking these in:

@steje
Now that I read things again, I see you have a similar view on this. o))