DO11: Opening Lister Layout lasts more than 20s

Hello,

with DO11 I have sometimes the problem, that it last more than 20s until the Lister Layout is shown.
When I close a Lister Layout and load it again immediataly/later there are situations that the Lister Layout is shown with an delay of just some seconds or dalayed as mentioned. Any hints?

Many thanks and greetings
opusfreak

Is it the difference between opening a layout when Opus is already running in the background, and when it isn't?

Are some layouts always delayed and others always not, or is it random?

Hello Leo,

[quote]Is it the difference between opening a layout when Opus is already running in the background, and when it isn't?[/quote]Opus is always already running in the background.

[quote]Are some layouts always delayed and others always not, or is it random?[/quote]It's random.

Shall I send you my backup?

opusfreak

Running process monitor to log which files are being accessed during the delay is probably the best bet.

Also make sure you don't have anything pointing at slow, disconnected or unreachable network drives. e.g. Toolbar icons pointing to them can cause delays. Same with anything that might point to a drive which has spun down.

Hello Leo,

I have forgotten to mention that I don't access any network drives. And that are my old Lister Layouts used with DO10 without any problems. Upgraded some days ago.

opusfreak

Hello again Leo,

with DO11.8 still the same problem. Meanwhile upgraded all versions to DO11. No problems with DO10. Is there a special debug/log version of DO available?

opusfreak

If you want to do debugging/logging, please generate & send the Process Monitor log as discussed.

Hello Leo,

meanwhile it last up to 40s until DO is shown with one of my Lister Layouts. I have that problem with my desktop PC, notebook and different VMs. It's not random anymore, happens always. And I had different anti-virus software in use during the last months.

Concerning the Process Monitor log - can you pls. give me detailed instructions what/how I should log?

opusfreak

Log everything during the 20 seconds it takes to start.

To do that, launch Process Monitor, use the default filter if it prompts you, then make sure both the Registry and File System icons are turned on on the toolbar (the others don't matter much).

Once Process Monitor is logging, run Opus, wait for it to appear, then in Process Monitor use File > Save, and choose the PML format.

The PML format is vital, so make sure it's chosen. CSV and XML formats won't be as useful. The PML file will be large, but compresses well.

Thanks for sending the log!

From looking at it, I see a few candidates for what may be slowing things down. It could be a combination of them, or it may be just one or some of them. There may be others that I didn't notice due to these standing out so much, too.

[ul][li] There are about 100 layouts in your config, which means building the list of layouts is taking a little while. If you try renaming /dopusdata/Layouts to something else, you might see an improvement of a couple of seconds or so; maybe more.

If that improves things, please let us know, and we can look at caching some of that information. So many layouts is unusual, but not outrageous, so we can improve things if it is needed.

[/li]
[li] It looks like you have one or more toolbars which point to lots of icons/images within other EXEs and DLLs. Those can be slow to load, since each EXE/DLL has to be opened and parsed (and potentially virus scanned, depending on the scanner). Converting them to an icon set, or generally avoiding external icons, may speed things up quite a bit.

[/li]
[li] It looks like some of the toolbar buttons point to icons on network drives, possibly ones that aren't reachable or take a few seconds to respond. (Could also be powered-down network drives that take time to spin up.) The log indicates icons are being loaded from the drives but it's possible I'm misreading it and it's something like Drive Buttons getting information about drives even if the icons aren't from them. Either way, look for anything on the toolbars which references a network location and try removing it. From what I saw, that was possibly causing several seconds of delay.[/li][/ul]

Hello Leo,

I just want to mention that I used all my Lister Layouts without any problems with DO10. After upgrading to DO11 and without any fundamental changes I have gotten the mentioned problem. Even when I open an Lister Layout via a command line I have that behaviour.

I will check your suggestions asap. I just want to emphasize that I can't believe that this problem is in any way related to my Lister Layout itself. The problem is from my point of view a change in DO11.

opusfreak

The number of layout is just one factor, adding a couple of seconds.

The logs indicate a lot of time is being spend fetching toolbar icons and waiting on a network drive. Opus 10 would likely behave in the same way, and my bet is something else has also changed on the system or network if no part of the Opus config has changed.