DO11: Reading Rar not working

Hi!

I just upgraded ti DO11, and I find that I nolonger can doubleclick on rar-files to view and copy its contents.
I have tried many rar-files that worked like a charm on DO10, but now it just wont open them.

I did not use winrar in DO10 and neither now on DO11. Only thing I have done is upgraded to DO11 and installed the new certificate for it.

Anyone know anything about this?

Anything special about the rar files? Is there a sample one we can try?

Been testing a lot of files.
Network:
The rar-files when on a network just doesnt open with a doubleclick. Nothing happens.
Local:
"An error ocured reading archive. Invalid or damaged".

All files I have that are rar'ed is behaving this way, and all of the worked in DO10.
I have found a little file you can try, its a backup of an old game "SimTower". No copyrights violations intended, I have the box. Please delete after trying to open it.
[link removed]

Only me that has this problem? :open_mouth:

I have no problem opening RAR files with DOpus 11. Can't test over a network, but the files on both my internal and external HDs open without a hitch.

Phonemes: Do you have Winrar installed? I am trying to find out what is wrong, as it worked with DO10 without any problems...

No, I don't have Winrar installed. All I use is Dopus' inbuilt ZIP-functionality.

Right. I have just upgraded my computer at work, and it works 100% there...
So now I have to find out whats wrong with my home-computer... sigh

Winrar is not used for reading rar archives in Opus, only for modifying them.

But I cant understand what happened at home. DO10 worked fine, DO11 dont...
But as I said, the upgrade worked here at work, so it has to be something with my homecomputer, I cant understand what though... :cry:

The RAR works here as well.

It's possible your antivirus/firewall software might be blocking something, I guess. We now use a separate process (via rundll32.exe) to isolate unrar.dll from the main program, which it might be blocking. That's about all I can think of so far.

You are not alone, I have the same issue.

I have, and always have had, WinRar installed. Using x64 version of DO.

So far I have tried:
Disabling my AV (NOD32) and Firewall - still get the "An error ocured reading archive. Invalid or damaged"
Un-installed DO and removed all files and registry 'left overs'. Re-installed DO v11.1, still doesn't work with 'defaults.

Can I have my £50 upgrade fee back?

(WinRAR isn't used to read RAR archives so it doesn't matter if it's installed or not.)

Does the problem happen with all RAR archives or just some?

Does it matter where the archives are stored? (e.g. Do they work if you copy them to your desktop folder?)

Are they multi-part RARs or single?

Can you open the same archives in WinRAR or other tools without problems?

If you search your C:\ drive for copies of unrar*.dll, are there any in system locations like C:\Windows\System32?

Workaround: Type /home/VFSPlugins into Opus, then delete the unrar.dll or unrar64.dll file, and then fully exit Opus. Opus will fall back on using the old method for RAR extraction (via 7z.dll instead of unrar.dll), and you'll just lose RAR 5.0 support and possibly some performance when extracting RAR files.

[quote]Does the problem happen with all RAR archives or just some?
[/quote]
It happens to all RAR archives.

No, anywhere localy or on network. Only difference is that on networkdrive there is no message (localy I get an genereic error telling the rar-archive is damaged).

Both types have the problem.

Yes. I installed PeaZip and all archives uninstalled just fine.
The same archives uninstalls on other computers in the same network as well.

No. there is just the ones inside Directory Opus folder. (unrar.dll and unrar64.dll)

[quote]
Workaround: Type /home/VFSPlugins into Opus, then delete the unrar.dll or unrar64.dll file, and then fully exit Opus. Opus will fall back on using the old method for RAR extraction (via 7z.dll instead of unrar.dll), and you'll just lose RAR 5.0 support and possibly some performance when extracting RAR files.[/quote]
This workaround worked wonders!
I am now able to open the rar-files just as I did in DO10. All files, in the same locations DO11 couldnt (or wouldnt).
I will have to use this workaround and PeaZip on the 5.0 ones. :thumbsup:

On another note: I use the same operatingsystem at work and home. I also use the same antivirus (Eset) on both machines as well. But DO11 work on rar-files at work, not at home...

[quote="leo"](WinRAR isn't used to read RAR archives so it doesn't matter if it's installed or not.)

Does the problem happen with all RAR archives or just some? - All

Does it matter where the archives are stored? (e.g. Do they work if you copy them to your desktop folder?) - No

Are they multi-part RARs or single? - Both

Can you open the same archives in WinRAR or other tools without problems? - Yes

If you search your C:\ drive for copies of unrar*.dll, are there any in system locations like C:\Windows\System32? - No

Workaround: Type /home/VFSPlugins into Opus, then delete the unrar.dll or unrar64.dll file, and then fully exit Opus. Opus will fall back on using the old method for RAR extraction (via 7z.dll instead of unrar.dll), and you'll just lose RAR 5.0 support and possibly some performance when extracting RAR files.[/quote]

I have been using WinRar5 since ß1 so most of my rar files are 5s so the work round will not help me.

WinRar5 creates backwards compatible archives by default, but if it's set to create RAR5 archives then they would not have opened in Opus 10 either. So if things worked in Opus 10 but no longer do in Opus 11, the workaround should get things working again.

Your quite correct, thank you.I have deleted the dll and reset WinRar to create 4xx archives for the time being.

Have you an ETA for fixing this?

Opus 11.1 Beta 1 now has a proper option in the RAR plugin which you can use to switch between unrar.dll and 7z.dll, so you will not have to keep deleting unrar.dll after each update:

[ul][li]After installing Opus 11.1 beta 1 (or later)... [/li]
[li]Go to Preferences / Zip & Other Archives / Archive and VFS Plugins[/li]
[li]Select RAR and click Configure[/li]
[li]Turn off Use UnRar.dll instead of 7z.dll for decompression.[/li][/ul]

Question:

What's the CPU in the machines that have problems with unrar.dll? (And are the similar working machines the same hardware or different?)

I'm starting to wonder if there may be an issue with particular CPUs (e.g. old AMD ones lacking SSE2 support) after some things I have read about unrar.dll causing problems for other products.

Hi there,

I'm having the same issue with the message of corrupted rar archives when they aren't.
It began when I changed to DOpus11. I didn't upgraded it, I just saved my config, uninstalled old DO10 and installed DO11.
Then restored my config and changed it a bit to use the new 11 features.

Then I found out I can't open any rar archive. (it works for zip though)

I came here to check if it was a known error and it seems like that...
I've didn't installed Beta 1 yet, but I've found a workaround that maybe will bring some light to the developers:
I just renamed the unrar64.dll inside the VFSPlugins and it fixed the problem.
I think I just manually did what the beta1 does when disabling the "Use UnRar.dll instead of 7z.dll for decompression" setting... But I post it just in case it could come in handy.

My system is an AMD Phenom II X4 940 running win8.1 64bits (windows patches up to date)
I have WinRAR 5.01 64bits installed. And all is running under Spanish language (maybe it does matter, maybe not).

It seems like the problem comes from unrar64.dll, the tricky part is why it works for some people and others don't...
Developers will have a hard time ^_^;

Thanks for all.
And sorry for my bad English. ^_^;

DO 11 beta 2 x64
Unrar not possible, Opus stating the file is damaged.
Used PowerArchiver to unrar the file, no problem.
For yr info.