DO12 - Editor for the image viewer

First, great news! There seems to be literally a whole jungle of new features to be explored. So, my first question is about the new feature of the image viewer. Maybe it is already possible, what i am asking for, otherwise please see this as a suggestion.

Looking at the image viewer, with the meta panel open, a few questions arise. Like, is there some hotkey, or some command, to switch between the image itself, & the meta panel? I would like to avoid using mouse clicks, because my workflow is built mostly on keyboard shortcuts. When i have edited tags in the meta panel, i would like to give the focus to the image, in order to be able to use the arrow keys for the next or previouse image. For example, "tab" could be assigned to this task.

Next i would suggest some supporting parameters for the Show VIEWERCMD=meta command. Those could be like following: Show VIEWERCMD=meta,focus=tags,append.

So the focus=tags parameter would emulate a click into the meta panel field "Tags", also making all existing keywords visible. Currently, only a few keywords are visible at first, & another click into the field would show all present tags/keywords. This leads me to the next parameter, i am suggesting, which is "append". Because like it is now, the input focus after the click into the "Tags" field is almost randomly somewhere inbetween the existing tags. It would be better, if it always would be set to the back of the existing keyword list, if present.

The benefit of all this would be, that i (or other users, who prefer to use Opus for tagging images or music) could directly start to add keywords in the proper field, & go to the next or previous image, with the most important field always active & already having the focus. Of course users could choose a different field to start with, like Show VIEWERCMD=meta,focus=datecreated, etc.

Maybe it sounds lazy, but having full control over all the actions in a metadata session will speed up the whole process significantly.
Thanks for maybe considering the ideas!

Thanks for the suggestion!

+1
I think it should be the default behaviour if the metadata panel is shown and the focus is in one of its fields that the focus stays there (preferably in "append mode" like abr described) when switching to another image.

Another thing, that would be very useful. Please add some counter in the edit pane, like "12 of 47", or "12/47", indicating, that i have 47 images in the directory, of which i am currently editing image number 12, & so on. This would mimick the behavior if kundal's "Tagger" extension, giving you an overview.

Image count is the second thing on the status bar (unless you're fullscreen, then there's no status bar of course).

It always shows, for example, 1/48, no matter, on which image the focus is (because it only shows the count of images, & only one is selected). But that's not the idea. In full screen mode, when i', working through dozens of images, i would like to know, where i am. So 30/48 would tell me, that there are still 18 images to go, until i'm done.

& yes, in full screen mode, i forgot to say. I have the meta panel open, with all other groups collapsed, except "tags". So there would be plenty of space to always have a full view of the existing tags, which would mean a "growing" tags field (it won't be too many. Even with very many details, it is rarely more than 60 keywords).

You're describing the lister status bar.

The viewer has a status bar as well.

I have the full screen mode now. No idea, how to get back the state with the top & bottom bars, which may contain that status bar. If i could find that, i will give it a look.

By the way, if i quit the full screen mode, i will get some single window, but not that one, which i saw initially, when i installed Opus 12.

Ok, Ctrl-B should display the status bar for the viewer, acoording to the shortcuts list. But it does not. I had another Ctrl-B defined, but now it's turned off.

So there it is, ok. Not bad. Only it also should appear in the full screen mode. But i see the problem. The meta pane isn't designed for that type of information, while having a status bar in the full screen mode would break the full screen mode. Couldn't it be contained in the same line, where "metadata / apply / cancel" is?

Instead of using full screen mode why not just maximize the viewer window, then you get the status bar and title bar and the image will probably end up not much smaller anyway.

Yes, that would be close. If i set the Windows task bar to auto minimize, it's quite ok. But the title bar is a bit of a waste, still.

My preference is also viewing as much as possible in fullscreen mode. If you use a double row taskbar and a little extra bar or widget for showing some network io and useful others things, a maximized window will have all these distracting things below/above/around it. Notice that I really try to not waste screen space and setup everything to be as tiny as can be. Anything "extra" around images like blue titlebars etc. also works against calibrated screens and the price you paid for a larger display for working with images! o)

I'd like the status bar to be visible in fullscreen now as well. o) I looked closer and saw what cool things it can show (index and filename e.g. o). If that bar appearance would be black and text-only in fullscreen, nearly perfect and then there also would be no need to add a filename to the info-tip display or elsewhere to know what file is showing. Maybe that's a good place for the "label/status icon idea" as well. Isn't it just some window-flag wether to show borders and open maximized? Sure, go on an beat me for being naive! o)

The purpose of full screen in the viewer is to view the image full screen without any UI in the way. Adding UI kinda contradicts that.

You can quickly toggle in and out of full screen mode to see the extra UI like the status bar when needed, which is what I do.

Perhaps the status bar should also appear temporarily if you click the bottom of the screen while in fullscreen mode, like the toolbar appears temporarily when you click the top. But I don't think it makes sense to show either of them all the time while fullscreen.

Leo, you're right, so far. The most common use is, like you said, to use it as the classical full screen, with nothing else, but the image. But there are also tasks, which would ideally use a full screen with no distracting elements, except the meta panel. Many times, i have panoramic or wide angle images, with lots of single elements in it, which i want to put into the tags list. In that case i switch to the "original size", where i can move the image around with the cursor keys (sideways, up, down) to check the smaller details. Therefore every bit of screen estate is precious. I would like ti give a full summary, from my point of view, what the new viewer should offer.

• a special "full screen edit mode", with partial full screen, plus meta editor, which also holds the counter ("5/25")

• an easy way to switch between image portion (able to use the arrow keys to select next/previous), & the meta pane

• some parameters, to always have the preferred field (like "tags") active, right after switching to image editing mode

• the preferred field should be fully expanded, so no extra action is required. All is visible without further action. That field would adapt to the amount of applied keywords, so it would "grow". With all other fields collapsed, there is plenty of space on the meta editors side, so that would not be a problem.

• the preferred field should act in the "append" mode, so right after sitching to edit mode, you can start to type. Ideally all tags would be "auto sorted" alphabetically (would be nice) after the next opening of the tags field, like in "Tagger".

I guess, that a very good tag editor for images would be attractive for many photographers, professional, or just hobby. I already preferred Opus, resp. Tagger, to some other, dedicated tag editors (don't want to mention names here :wink:). This is not about people, who casually add a few tags, but for heavy use, editing thousands of images, were every bit of saved time & convenience counts. Apart from the image editing itself, in Lightroom, Opus does 99% of all relevant work around images. If i would have to use Explorer, or other file managers, i would just give up the whole metadata business. :laughing: