DO12 - Folder Formats; Fill Restricted to Width of Size value

Greetings Gurus, when using Folder Formats (using the columns tab), in columns where the column width is set to FILL, the FILL width is restricted to the size value in the corresponding format definition in the *.off file. Furthermore the MAX column is disabled for the associated column when the type is set to 'FILL', unlike being editable when set to 'expand'. So in order for me to get the desired behavior (fill a particular column to maximum width without scrolling horizontally (taking into consideration the sum of the widths of other columns), I had to do a find and replace in all *.off files and set the size = "371" to a big number. Now all my formats expand the Filename column to the maximum width. This should be easier. Just setting FILL should be enough, turns out it respects a hidden number (the size parameter).

Maybe just add a MAXX option to the dropdown which Fills to Max regardless of the Size value in the format definition xml.
So if the current lister width is 700 pixels, and the sum of the other columns is 200 pixels, the column I set to MAX autoexpands to 500 pixels.

1 Like

I guess I could use the 'collapse' mode and set a high value also. Although the way it's worded 'collapse' isn't intuitive.

Editing the .off files to do things the UI doesn't allow is strongly discouraged. It may create combinations of settings which are "impossible" and trigger unexpected results.

The max width setting doesn't make sense combined with Fill because the point of Fill is that it uses all remaining space. The remaining space is the maximum.

If you want a column which grows automatically but only up to a maximum width, use Auto rather than Fill, and then a max width can be specified.

The max width setting doesn't make sense combined with Fill because the point of Fill is that it uses all remaining space. The remaining space is the maximum. EXACTLY! That's the point, FILL is restricted by the MAX! It shouldn't be.

If you don't want that then don't use Fill. Use Auto instead.

Auto isn't working for my objective which is simply to have one column use the remaining space.
I guess the max is there to deal with the FILL option being set on multiple columns.

I'm very confused by this. Fill doesn't even let you set a maximum width. If you want one column to use the remaining space, use Fill. That's what it's for.

Turns out I made an user error. Fill seems to be functioning. I'm looking into this.