DO12 - The new MARK function, suggestion

Looks like a very interesting novelty. It could be a bit better, though, by having opened the marked item's collection in a way, that going BACK in the history of the opened collection tab should lead back to the initial folder, instead opening a new one.

For example, i have 50 images, which i'm checking for outtakes. In Opus 11 i had to cancel the full screen mode, leaving all selected outtakes checked. Then i had to use SELECT FROMCHECKS, to have them cut by Ctrl-X, to move them into the right subfolder.

In the new version, a new tab will be opened, containing those selected files. I can cut them out as well, but will have switch back to the corresponding original tab, where to continue the action (there will be some "outtakes" folder waiting for the items).

So, basically, the collections should rather be opened from the current tab, using the same tab, so GO BACK would lead me to the start folder directly.

I think i see, why it's not that way. File collections are a separate place, from where we can't just go back to some regular folder. But maybe GO BACK could emulate that, switching back to the source tab.

I think I like the marked items collection to be opened in a new tab for now, but I did not try to use the marking-system for real work yet.
At first I did not notice a new tab was opened and I wondered why using "Back" would not get me to the pictures I was seeing before.

Having "Go BACK" to switch tabs is not a good idea from my point of view, since it breaks the rules. You could try to use "Go TABSELECT=prev" in these situations instead, it's something I have assigned to "CTRL + TAB", like it is in other applications.

Wether new tab or not.. maybe an option for this is a good idea.

When thinking about the marking system, I'm currently wondereing if it supports marks of different kinds or multiple collections?
When reviewing images, it's not that you mark pictures for deletion only, it's more that you pick some for deletion, some for keeping jpg, some for editing, some "bestof"s and some shall remain, but these are still "dropouts". That's what I do at least.

As far as I understood, we can have keystrokes and buttons now to tag/label the currently shown image. Multiple mark-collections don't sound like a good idea, but if labels can be applied and these make use of status icons, what about overlaying the current picture with these symbols? That would be cool. After reviewing, sorting by label and deleting/moving to dedicated subfolders would be an easy task.

Well, in my workflow with images it's one basic thing, to cut out the "outtakes", to have them moved to the appropriate folder.

That could be the most efficient way at the moment. Good enough for me, as a workaround. Thanks.

[quote]When thinking about the marking system, I'm currently wondereing if it supports marks of different kinds or multiple collections?
When reviewing images, it's not that you mark pictures for deletion only, it's more that you pick some for deletion, some for keeping jpg, some for editing, some "bestof"s and some shall remain, but these are still "dropouts". That's what I do at least.

As far as I understood, we can have keystrokes and buttons now to tag/label the currently shown image. Multiple mark-collections don't sound like a good idea, but if labels can be applied and these make use of status icons, what about overlaying the current picture with these symbols? That would be cool. After reviewing, sorting by label and deleting/moving to dedicated subfolders would be an easy task.[/quote]

Sounds quite interesting, too. However, i couldn't manage to see multiple tags here, so far. I think Leo mentioned, there is yet something to fix with the new multi labels.

Showing status icons (part of the labels system) somewhere in the viewer seems like a good idea, and you should already be able to apply them to files via the viewer's toolbar/hotkeys now.

Commands like Properties SETLABEL=Important SETLABELTOGGLE already work, but do not indicate the file's current state. Maybe if we change that (just in the viewer, not the file display) it would solve the question of how & where to show the state. But then you'd only see status icons that you had made toggle buttons for, which may or may not be what you want?

I would not see this as a restriction, it can be put to be a feature, so the viewer only shows status itself can set/remove.
Sounds brilliant! o)

It might also be nice if it could work with wildcard and filter labels somehow, even though those cannot be "set" by clicking a button.

Then you could have indicators on the toolbar about special things you care about. For example, an icon that lights up if an image has a 16:9 aspect ratio, or is larger than 1080p, could help in a workflow where you want to quickly find & fix aberrant images.

Not sure exactly if these status symbols should live on the toolbar (only). As mentioned, I was thinking about some kind of transparent overlay where these would pop up. I expect the toolbar to be invisible most of the time, once you get your labeling/processing done by pressing hotkeys, but what do I know. This is all imaginative, but in general, I fully agree and it's a very strong idea! o)

The 12.2.1 beta has a new option to display status icons in the viewer.

Holy sh*t, what a massive list of enhancements! o)

Can there be custom status icons as well? I assume, but I will see and try myself for sure. o)