Does Directory Opus 9 support these Vista features?

I was going through your Directory Opus 9 guide and am thinking of trying it out. Before I do so, could you please inform me whether Directory Opus supports these Windows Vista features?

1. Vista has excellent built-in indexing. Can Opus use this index to search for files? I assume an API has been released.

2. This Technet article by Mark Russinovich mentions several Vista features.
    a. I/O Priority. Does Opus support setting I/O priorities for file operations?
    b. I/O bandwidth reservations. Does Opus support setting, say, a bandwidth on individual copy operations?
    c. I/O operation size. Previous versions of Windows were limited to 64 KB at a time. Does Opus support adjustable I/O operation sizes, or even a fixed size > 64 KB? 64 KB in today's world seems terribly inefficient.

I'd like to see point 1, at least one of 2a and 2b, and 2c to be supported.

If Opus doesn't have these, I'd like to file a feature request for these. :slight_smile:

There wasn't time to look at this for 9.0 but I think it's on the list for a future version, or GPSoft have at least stated an intention to at least look into it, if not a guarantee that it will be supported.

[quote]a. I/O Priority. Does Opus support setting I/O priorities for file operations?
b. I/O bandwidth reservations. Does Opus support setting, say, a bandwidth on individual copy operations?[/quote]
Neither are supported at the moment; the defaults will be used. I can see a reason for wanting to make a copy operation a low priority, or maybe do two copies at once with one set low and the other high, but why would you want to reserve I/O bandwidth for a file copy? That seems like something you'd usually only want/need for steaming/real-time media rather than a file copy.

You can set the copy buffer size via Preferences. It defaults to 64KB and changing it has very little effect for most devices, except that it makes the progress dialogs update less frequently. (Some devices will fail to copy with certain buffer sizes, and there are a handful of buggy USB devices which fail at 64KB, but usually there isn't much point in changing the size. Feel free to experiment, though.)

Let me just add that MS made this option avaliable (as Windows Desktop Search) also to XP and Win2003 Server.

X.

Ah yes, bandwidth wouldn't be required. Copy priority would be nice though. Anyway, I'll hold out till 9.1 or a future version comes out that does support index search. :slight_smile:

For the sake of one feature you're missing out on an awful lot of functionality.

...and, based on past experience, v9.1, when it comes, is likely to be a free upgrade anyway. As Tanis says, you are missing an awful lot in the meantime.

GPSoft have always been remarkably generous with minor version updates, which have included some quite significant enhancements.

There wasn't time to look at this for 9.0 but I think it's on the list for a future version, or GPSoft have at least stated an intention to at least look into it, if not a guarantee that it will be supported.[/quote]
As a big fan of Magellan (from DOS days) the feature I most like in Vista is the nicely integrated fast search. In particular I very often used it within Explorer to search through large folder structures with thousands of files, a task I was using X1 Pro for on XP. Vista search is faster than X1 for this task and uses less resources.

Now that I've just bought a couple of DOpus licences it's no surprise that the ONE thing I miss is that excellent fast search capability. Don't get me wrong - I am very pleased with DOpus and am impressed with how well it does so much. But if you're going to work on anything for the next release, my plea is that it be the integration of Vista search. Thanks in advance!

Don't forget that Opus does already integrate Google Desktop Search, if you have it installed. I don't know how the various search programs compare but it's one option if you find yourself missing that functionality.

I've recently evaluated Google and Copernic desktop search engines, and, in my opinion, it's more trouble than it's worth.
On my pretty decent system (P4 3.2GHZ, 2GB RAM), disk operations slowdown was noticeable (after completing indexing, of course).
Seems that simply organizing stuff on disk + DO search capabilites work OK for me (+ specialized application search, like in Acrobat Reader, if I really really need that).

X.

Yep I hope integrated Vista search makes it in the next version as well. I don’t particulary want to install google desktop search when the same functionality is already built into the OS. I would then have two different applications indexing my files that both do the same job.

The indexed search in Vista is a typically Microsoft half-baked crap. If the developers decide to integrate indexed search into DO, I would suggest to make nails with heads:

1. Keep a detailed search mask,

2. Add NEAR operator when using content search,

3. Create a sophisticated preview of the search results, where in text format files the search term can be retrieved by:

a) narrowing down the text content to the lines with the found term with a configurable number of context lines, OR

b) advance to the next/previous found position in the file with a key stroke.

This kind of preview of the search results is an invaluable tool when searching VERY LARGE collections of source code!