Does Directory Opus Metadata Save on FAT32?

I remember reading that Windows File Explorer won't save its metadata on FAT32. Does the same apply to Directory Opus files? I now have a lot of metadata on Directory Opus files and I'm wondering if I could use OSFMount. The thing with OSFMount is that you have to make the RAM disk FAT32.

Just wondering if Directory Opus files will transfer its metadata on FAT32 disks.

Thanks for anyone help!

It depends which metadata, and sometimes also on which file format(s) are involved.

Some metadata cannot be stored in the files themselves and has to be stored in NTFS ADS, which is impossible on FAT32. But some metadata can be stored in the files themsevles and will work on any (read-write) filesystem.

Oh. I was going to create a RAM disk with software called OSFMount. The ram disk can only be formatted to FAT32. I was wondering if I would save anything on the RAM disk that even had metadata but perhaps. So, given the information above, could metadata be transferred back and forth from the FAT32 RAM disk and my SSD disk?

It depends which metadata, and sometimes also on which file format(s) are involved.

On this page, it seems the RAM drive can be formatted in FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS. Are you choosing to only use FAT32 for some reason?

It's because I'm stupid. REALLY STUPID. I created so much more work for myself by making a stupid mistake. I made a big spreadsheet of all the Ram disk programs there are and then wrote a list of stuff about each one to compare. For some reason, for OSFMount, I wrote that it can only format FAT32. So, this was really bugging me and I was trying to figure out a way to overcome it. Thank you for correcting me. You saved me a lot of future time. Thank you. Thank you.

I guess I have no excuse now to create the RAM disk immediately!

I'm a little scared to pull the trigger....

1 Like

I used to use a RAM disk in the glory days of Amiga computers, but I don't recall ever trying to do so in Windows. With page file built-in, I never saw the need. I reasoned it will probably increase page file usage and slow my computer down. Of course, that depends on the size of your RAM and the RAM drive.

What are you doing that you need a RAM drive?

Hi, DesertDwarf,

I'm not doing anything that special. I just use A LOT of programs running in the background. For example, there is a program called Dexpot that creates virtual desktops. I think people normally create 3 or so. I created 28 of them. And, each of the virtual desktops has a lot of icons. Here are just some of the programs I have running in the background:

1. VPN
  2. Logitech Gaming Software
  3. Intel Driver & Support Assistant
  4. Block Microsoft Edge
  5. Chocolatey
  6. MSI Mode Utility 2.0
  7. PowerToys
  8. Domain Hosts Editor
  9. DNSJumper
  10. FastCopy
  11. Macrium Reflect
  12. Resilio Sync
  13. 100 more programs.

Let me say that I have a lot of programs going on at the same time. And, it's starting to slow my computer down.

I purchased 64 gigs of RAM to speed up the programs that I close and open often during the day like my PDF reader, window layout manager, Microsoft Office (Excel is extremely slow), etc. because it's not a RAM memory issue but it's because it's an SSD storage issue. Windows 10 will try to optimally allocate the most used parts of a program into RAM and leave the biggest chunk of less accessed data on your hard drive or SSD (if it doesn't do this, you'd run out of RAM memory pretty quick). But, if that program is still slowing you down, that means that less accessed data in your hard drive or SSD is the next bottleneck because you are opening and closing the program too much. The next best step would be to put all of the program into RAM.

Well, that's my logic. It might be wrong since I'm not a computer person but it just make sense.

With respect to your question on page filing, I don't now the relationship between page file and with a RAM disk. I don't think they are connected. The computer accesses the page file when it runs out of RAM memory. So, why or how could you use RAM for page file when you just ran out of RAM?

If something is wrong with what I said (which there probably is), then let me know. I want to make a RAM disk but I wish someone would just do it for me. I wish there were websites that would do that.

Well, that's my logic. It might be wrong since I'm not a computer person but it just make sense.

These scenarios for the use of RAM disks are very valid.

Actually, were very valid.

Up until about 30 years ago.

Memory management has come a long way since then and it's nothing about which the average user has to worry nowadays.

Treat yourself to a fresh Windows installation, but stay away from anything and anybody that promises "100 Hacks to speed up your computer".

If your system still lacks performance, upgrade the CPU and SSD. Don't worry about RAM. 64 GB will probably be plenty of storage for another decade.

I wish there were websites that would do that.

Famous last words :smiley:

1 Like

I already have an i7 for cpu and samsung 970 pro for SSD. I just have so many programs. I figured if I put programs that I terminate and open all the time, it might speed it up....

I have a 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus. I haven't timed anything, but I can't imagine that most of those tiny programs you listed load noticeably faster from RAM disk than they do from your SSD. Especially since they first had to load from SSD to RAM desk before you could load them from the RAM disk.

I'm envisioning a scenario where you are forcing it to use the page file a bit more frequently just because the pool of RAM available to programs has been reduced by the size of your RAM disk. Every hit to the page file is something that slows you down.

I periodically go through my installed programs and my "running in the background" programs and trim out what I'm no longer using (or no longer care about). If my beefy computer is running slowly, it's my own darn fault for letting it accumulate too much stuff. :smiley:

We've drifted a little.off topic now. :slight_smile:

DesertDwarf,

I just got the Samsung 2TB Evo Plus! They had a major sale on it. It's only $350 on Amazon! Amazing deal I think. Samsung dropped their prices on their SSDs recently.

I don't know if my programs would load noticeably faster but I should at least give it a try. I have an i7, with a Nvidia 1080, and 64 gigs of RAM. When I first reinstall Windows, things are pretty fast. But, after I install all my programs and have them running in the background, things are noticeably slower. For example, my PDF program opens at a snail pace, taking about 6-7 seconds or longer. But, once, it's loaded into the RAM and I open additional PDF documents, they open in less than a second. But, when I close all my PDF documents and terminate the PDF program and then open it up again, the initial PDF document takes another 6-7 seconds to open.
So, that points to the fact that my CPU has to copy the PDF program from my SSD into the RAM as the problem, no?

I'm not a computer person so I don't know but I'm thinking I should see if a RAM disk makes a difference. What else should I do?

I have 64 gigs of RAM so I don't know if my computer will ever end up relying on the pagefile. I was going to allocate about 24 gigs of RAM memory to the CPU and then create a 40 gig RAM drive. Just put some of my everyday work programs that I constantly close and open a hundred times per day.

I'll let you know what happens.

Leo,

Sorry for the drift. Sometimes drifting gets you to some place new. :wink: