"Don't Append Shortcut" not working - Opus 12

Opus 12 has started ignoring my request to not append the word "shortcut" to new desktop shortcuts. I have unchecked the relevant box in Preferences\File Operations\Options...
Sorry - I cannot link the start of this behaviour to anything else I have done.
Does anyone know what might have caused this? (maybe a mischievous Windows update?)

"Desktop shortcuts" suggests you might be making the shortcuts on the desktop itself? If so, Explorer is creating them. (Drag & drop is handled by the application you drop on to, not the one you drop from.) Explorer may have a similar setting (probably in the registry, if it does) but would not be affected by the Opus setting.

If you're making them in Opus, how are you creating them? (e.g. Drag & drop with the right mouse button, then choose the shortcut option.) The method being used may have been edited to make it override the main Preferences setting.

Thank You Leo.

I have just experimented and found that if I first create a shortcut in the application's folder, then move it to the desktop it works as expected. If I use any other method to create the desktop shortcut, it appends the text.

I will use "Create Shortcut inside folder, move to Desktop," from here on. That is simple enough for me.

Thanks again for your usual prompt response.

Which method were you using to create the shortcut on the desktop?

Were you dragging to the desktop folder inside of Opus, or to the desktop itself?

In all of this reply Desktop means the Desktop itself - not a desktop folder inside an Opus lister.

I have done some more testing and discovered that I was doing the following procedures.
Method 1...
Locate program.exe file in Opus lister \ Right Click \ Send to \ Desktop (create shortcut)
or Method 2...
Locate program.exe in Opus lister \ Right click and drag to Desktop \ Create shortcuts here.

Both Methods 1 and 2 resulted in " - Shortcut" appended to the shortcut name.

I then tried the following.
Method 3...
Locate program.exe in Opus lister \ Right click \ Create Shortcut \ drag shortcut to Desktop

Then I tested some other procedures...
Method 4...
Locate program in Windows Start Menu \ Right click \ Send to \ Desktop (create shortcut)
and Method 5...
Locate program in Windows Start Menu \ Right click and drag to Desktop \ Create shortcuts here

All of Methods 3, 4 and 5 created shortcuts without the appended text "- Shortcut"

I thought that I had previously created shortcuts, minus the appendage, by either Method 1 or Method 2 but maybe I hadn't.

Because there are often many ways to achieve the same end I do not always remember how any given result was achieved unless it is a procedure I carry out frequently.

Now that I know more about the background behind creating shortcuts I doubt I will forget the correct way to get the result I require.

It is kind of confusing isn't it!

Method 1 and 2 are controlled by Explorer. Method 1 is using an Explorer context menu extension, and in method 2 Explorer is the target of the D&D and so controls the outcome.

Method 3 is an Opus command added to the context menu (File Types / All files and folders) that runs the Copy MAKESHORTCUT HERE command.

Method 4 and 5 again are controlled by Explorer (Opus doesn't come into it at all). Why you get different results to 1 and 2 you'd have to ask Microsoft, but probably relates to how Microsoft tend to update bits of the shell and ignore other bits.