*.dop file disassembler and assembler

Hi all,

Is it possible to write a dop file disassembler and assembler?

What I'm looking for is comand line program that can disassemble to a text file and then assemble a valid text file.

I don't need all the actual code, just a few break in points such as text.

I'm sorry if this ignorant. I don't have windows programming knowledge. I'm more familiar with PHP, DOS, and the HP calculator. I've used the Finland based Jazz disassembler - assembler to access HP internals for several years.

Sincerely,
                            Tsunami  :pint:

Most things in Opus are either text files or zip files, except for the .dop toolbars which are a binary format. Unfortunately, there isn't a tool or library for looking inside them at the moment.

Yes,

I attempted to transfer a dop file to my HP calculator.
It errored of course as invalid syntax, but I got OPUSBANK followed by some garbage in the error message.

Sincerely,
                                  Tsunami  :opusicon:

Toolbar (.dop) files are in IFF format. The file format isn't closed as such, it's just that we haven't documented it. What specifically are you trying to do?

Hi Jon,
Wow ! I'll try to look at the IFF format, but for now it looks as if I'm probably not there.

[quote]
The file format isn't closed as such, it's just that we haven't documented it. [/quote]
That's good news Jon !

Well, perhaps this is better answered by Gus's requests, what really got me wondering was Gus's tutorial.

It would be good to be able to modify a dop file and reassemble it at the command line. Buttons are already there in text, but it is a tedious process to collect all aspects of a button in this GUI .

I DO sincerely appreciate the beautiful GUI here, but if only one could access an entire dop file with these [DOpus.ButtonInfo] ideas, much more is possible.

Dopus will recognize a toolbar copied to the buttons Dir without exiting he program and starting it again.

These modifications can be done with JPSoft. Under Win98 or Win Me 4Dos is freeware. Unfortunately , 4NT or Take Command is needed with Win XP. It is costly.
The good news is that the MS command processor can be replaced by simply modifying config.sys under msconfig.exe to include this line: shell=C:\pathway\4dos.com /p
Dopus will then run 4DOS as it's command processor. Runmode hide then works.

Well, I'm off topic now, but my point is simply that these thing can be done!

It's short sighted I know, but substance is there somewhere.

Sincerely,
                               David Eaton

P.S. Sad that HP closed the Melbourne calculator division. It truely was a dark time for HP calc enthusiasts.

Along these same lines, I've wondered why the config stuff didn't move over to XML with the release of DOpus 8. I can't imagine the amount of cool stuff that hobbyist programmers could have made using a more open and programmatically accessible file format. Almost every programming language nowadays has built-in capabilities supporting the reading and parsing of XML: php, perl, python, the MS Visual stuff, the gnu stuff, etc.

But, maybe in DOpus 9, eh? :slight_smile:

[quote]
RicFischer wrote:
Along these same lines, I've wondered why the config stuff didn't move over to XML with the release of DOpus 8.[/quote]

Never thought of it!

[quote]
RicFischer wrote:
Along these same lines, I've wondered why the config stuff didn't move over to XML with the release of DOpus 8.[/quote]

If I understand you, you're asking Dopus to parse an XML - PHP or whatever script.
Nice thought ; I'll believe it when I see it.

I have Apache and PHP installed on my windows machine, but rarely use it as Apache can be buggy in Microsoft land. It works, but doesn't shutdown properly sometimes.

Take Command will let you type a URL at the prompt as long as it starts with http:// .
So to run PHP from the Dopus button you need a batch function with the line localhost/Dir/filename.php and the Apache server running.

But now everything is outside of Dopus ! But you could generate a text file this way.

Regards,
                                  David Eaton

I have to apologize.

[quote]Tsunami wrote:
Take Command will let you type a URL at the prompt as long as it starts with http:// .
So to run PHP from the Dopus button you need a batch function with the line localhost/Dir/filename.php and the Apache server running. [/quote]

This works from a Take Command prompt, but not under the Dopus button I suggested even as called as a batch file. In fact as of now I can't this to work as a double click on the batch file.

I'm not certain of the problem here other than it is not fully under the windows GUI.

Simple for Dopus though !
Just use Standard Function ( Dopus or Exterrnal )
localhost/Dir/filename.php and the Apache server running.

Sorry,
                              Tsunami