DOpus 10.5 - tree path highlight

Just installed the new version -- Great job, as always, guys.

BUT: Man, that tree path highlight is ugly! Really, I admit, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but did you have to make that highlight as fat as that? Even my eyes aren't that bad... A nice, thin line (maybe 1 or 2 pixels only?) would have been perfectly fine. This way we would even be able to still recognize the little triangles on folders underneath the highlight.

We tried with a thinner line and it looked worse :slight_smile:

Ah, I should have expected that. You guys are always a step ahead of your users... :sunglasses:

Oh well, I decided it's not much use anyway so I just leave that setting off.

Just signed up to let you know I love the tree path highlight!! I set it to a desaturated blue, so it doesn't have that much (color) contrast. I think it looks just fine and works very well as a visual cue. Thanks for the great work on the 10.5 update—

cheers,
Sven

I really love the new Path Highlighting. Just a silly aesthetic observation, though -- I think the highlight seems a little too dramatic. Perhaps a one, maybe two pixel, solid line that runs along the right edge of the folder expansion arrows would look cleaner. If the little arrow points looked like they just touch the line (rather than the line running completely over the arrows, relying on transparency so you can still see them,) I think you would achieve a more elegant effect. Just my two cents... :slight_smile:

We tried a thinner line to begin with and found it didn't look as good. If you want to do a Photoshop mockup of how you think it should look, please feel free :slight_smile:

Sure. Here:

Clean, simple, way more elegant. IMHO

Other imagen of (Tree path Tracing)

(I've merged the two threads since Jon's "Please continue discussion in the existing thread" was apparently unclear. :slight_smile:)

Note that the highlight style will have work with all three tree styles (lines, no lines, vista/win7) and with the expansion glyphs both showing and hidden.

FWIW, I've been planning to play with the way this looks since before the feature was released, but haven't had a chance until now.

Here's one idea (we're not sure about the sloping horizontal lines; might straighten them out in the end).

FWIW: Personally I like it the way it is now and I don't like the new idea's posted above, because they don't look good with the lines enabled :slight_smile:
But it's also a matter of taste of course ... I only use soft colours for Path Highlighting and the highlighting definitely looks better with the Lines enabled:

[quote="leo"](I've merged the two threads since Jon's "Please continue discussion in the existing thread" was apparently unclear. :slight_smile:)

Note that the highlight style will have work with all three tree styles (lines, no lines, vista/win7) and with the expansion glyphs both showing and hidden.

FWIW, I've been planning to play with the way this looks since before the feature was released, but haven't had a chance until now.

Here's one idea (we're not sure about the sloping horizontal lines; might straighten them out in the end).

[attachment=0]TreePathLineParts_example.png[/attachment][/quote]

LOVE the way this looks!

What about a "path highlight" that just changes color/background /font of expanded elements on the path? So that in Cris' example above the elements "Computer", "C:", "Program Files", "GPSoftware" etc. are just in italics, white font on black background?
I like the path highlight idea, just not the line....

Yes, I think it might be an idea, as Xyzzy posted above to have path highlighting without lines, but with 'labels', or 'background highlighting', something like this:

New ideas (1 or 2)

i like how it is right now too. perfect for my setup. The other ideas are good, but i wouldn't want to lose the current option. :slight_smile:

An option to define the width of the highlight, in pixels, would allow each user to set the "fatness" or "thinness" according to taste.

Regards, AB

[quote="leo"](I've merged the two threads since Jon's "Please continue discussion in the existing thread" was apparently unclear. :slight_smile:)

[attachment=0]TreePathLineParts_example.png[/attachment][/quote]

I definitely like the curves.

The old style will remain an option, but now you can also have things like this, if you want...

(The new outline colour is optional and configurable, in the same place you could already configure the main highlight colour.)

Just install 10.5.0.2, I can not display shadow around active path.
Maybe a XP problem ?

Thanks for spotting that. The shadows get disabled if the tree items are too close together, which happens on XP (and on newer versions of Windows if themed items are disabled).

I'll see if I can get it to work, or some kind of alternative if there just isn't space to draw the normal shadows.