DOpus 10 Crash whilst synchronising

I bought DOpus 10 yesterday and the firat task I performed was to synchronise documents on two drives. The process ran for about 10 minutes and then I got a BSOD crash in my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system. The crash dump file provides the following information:-

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
Date: 02/05/2011 21:49:26
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Study
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xfffffab001f6f63b, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff800030b7eaf, 0x0000000000000005). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: .
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

System
Study

0x00000050 (0xfffffab001f6f63b, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff800030b7eaf, 0x0000000000000005)
C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Can anyone suggest what may have caused this crash?

Although I cannot help you may wish to know that I have the same problem.

Full-system BSOD crashes cannot be caused by applications like Directory Opus. There must be a bug in one of your drivers. Opus may be doing something which triggers the bug, but the bug itself will be in a driver.

Make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date.

Also ensure anything that might install a filesystem driver -- e.g. ISO mounting tools, disk-image backup tools, and similar -- is up to date.

If you can get the BSOD to happen again, look at the message on the BSOD itself to see if any DLL names are mentioned. Those often indicate the DLL with the bug, and from that you can usually work out which driver the DLL is a part of.

[quote="leo"]Full-system BSOD crashes cannot be caused by applications like Directory Opus. There must be a bug in one of your drivers. Opus may be doing something which triggers the bug, but the bug itself will be in a driver.

Also ensure anything that might install a filesystem driver -- e.g. ISO mounting tools, disk-image backup tools, and similar -- is up to date.

If you can get the BSOD to happen again, look at the message on the BSOD itself to see if any DLL names are mentioned. Those often indicate the DLL with the bug, and from that you can usually work out which driver the DLL is a part of.[/quote]

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response. I will carefully examine the BSOD screen the next time it happens too see whether I can identify the driver responsible.

These crashes can also be caused by hardware faults, e.g. a faulty SATA or USB cable, dying hard drive, etc.

[quote="leo"]Full-system BSOD crashes cannot be caused by applications like Directory Opus. There must be a bug in one of your drivers. Opus may be doing something which triggers the bug, but the bug itself will be in a driver.

If you can get the BSOD to happen again, look at the message on the BSOD itself to see if any DLL names are mentioned. Those often indicate the DLL with the bug, and from that you can usually work out which driver the DLL is a part of.[/quote]

I have now repeated the process with the sole purpose of viewing what was contained in BSOD screen. However, DOpus failed before the BSOD occurred with this error message:-

"The error (0xC0000005) occurred in thread 'dopus_lister' at address 0x000000013F2773B1.
The thread that encountered the error may be non-critical and it is possible that it can be safely terminated allowing Directory Opus to continue running.

However, the behaviour of Directory Opus after terminating this thread can not be guaranteed. Would you like to terminate this thread?"

I decided to terminate the thread but Directory Opus did not continue and the BSOD did not occur.

Is this still a driver issue or is it something else?

The crash dump states that it is a software problem and not a hardware problem. Nevertheless, I did a thorough check of the hard drives and memory and have replaced all cables and since the problem continues then it seems not to be hardware related.

[quote="Chevalier"]I decided to terminate the thread but Directory Opus did not continue and the BSOD did not occur.

Is this still a driver issue or is it something else?[/quote]

If you have BSOD errors even sometimes then I would investigate and solve those first before spending any time on applications (Opus or any other), as an unstable driver can cause applications to fail even if it doesn't always go wrong enough to cause the whole system to BSOD.

If the BSOD really was a one-off then I'd suggest following the steps in these FAQs to try and narrow down what is causing the software crashes (assuming it isn't a driver, anti-virus bug, etc.):

[ul][li]Crash, exit or high CPU usage when viewing certain directories[/li]
[li]Crash, exit or high CPU usage when right-clicking certain files (only if right-clicking appears to trigger the problem)[/li]
[li]Crash dumps for bug reports[/li]
[li]General slowdown or instability investigation steps[/li][/ul]

[quote="leo"][quote="Chevalier"]I decided to terminate the thread but Directory Opus did not continue and the BSOD did not occur.

Is this still a driver issue or is it something else?[/quote]

If you have BSOD errors even sometimes then I would investigate and solve those first before spending any time on applications (Opus or any other), as an unstable driver can cause applications to fail even if it doesn't always go wrong enough to cause the whole system to BSOD.

If the BSOD really was a one-off then I'd suggest following the steps in these FAQs to try and narrow down what is causing the software crashes (assuming it isn't a driver, anti-virus bug, etc.):

[ul][li]Crash, exit or high CPU usage when viewing certain directories[/li]
[li]Crash, exit or high CPU usage when right-clicking certain files (only if right-clicking appears to trigger the problem)[/li]
[li]Crash dumps for bug reports[/li]
[li]General slowdown or instability investigation steps[/li][/ul][/quote]

I have now thoroughly investigated each of the four references that you provided and can report that I have:-

1. Confirmed that I have the latest bios for my new ASUS P8P67 Deluxe motherboard.
  2. Checked each of my hard drives with chckdisk and with SpinRite and found no problems.
  3. Checked my Intel i7 2600K processor & confirm that it is running without O/C & the temperature is never above 40 C and use rarely exceeds 35%.
  4. I have run MS Windows memory diagnostic tool & found no problems with my Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9).
  5. No issues with instability or with closing down or starting up my PC. My PC is very quick indeed so slowing down is not an issue.
  6. Established that the only time I get a BSOD is when I use Directory Opus 10 in synchronization mode.
  7. Checked ALL of the drivers on my PC and they are all the latest available.
  8. My Crash Dump file confirms that the problem is NOT a hardware issue. It is a software issue but I cannot determine which software is causing the problem.

Consequently, I will continue to use Directory Opus 10 in synchronization mode to discover whether an examination of the BSOD information mentions any drivers, dll's etc that I can investigate.

Many thanks for your assistance. I will report back with anything that I discover.

I managed to get DOpus 10 to crash again bu running in synchronisation mode and this time I was able to view the BSOD information. The following two causes are mentioned:-

Module: kernelbase.sys (KERNELBASE+0x1420)
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Module: kernel32.sys (kernel32!WaitForMultipleObjectsEx+0x8E)
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

These base drivers for Windows 7 reside in the Windows kernel and therefore do not show up in any search. It follows that I can find no details about these sys files and, frankly, I have no idea what I can do to resolve these issues - except perhaps to reinstall the O/S!. Moreover, a search on the internet reveals that many people are having issues with these two files but no one appears to have a solution other than a reinstall. Although there is evidence that a reinstall fixes the problem, nevertheless, the problem re-emerges shortly afterwards!!!

Can anyone offer any help?

WaitForMultipleObjectsEx may indicate a hardware driver, virtual/network-filesystem driver, or real-time anti-virus scanner has caused a deadlock (two things both waiting for something the other one owns, so neither can ever continue).

If that happens at the driver level the whole machine stops and has to reboot.

Have you tried uninstalling or disabling your anti-virus to see if that's involved?

What kind of drives are you copying from and to? Network or local? Anything 'virtual' or 'mounted', like a .ISO DVD-image, or a TrueCrypt/BestCrypt encrypted drive?

[quote="leo"]WaitForMultipleObjectsEx may indicate a hardware driver, virtual/network-filesystem driver, or real-time anti-virus scanner has caused a deadlock (two things both waiting for something the other one owns, so neither can ever continue).

Have you tried uninstalling or disabling your anti-virus to see if that's involved?

What kind of drives are you copying from and to? Network or local? Anything 'virtual' or 'mounted', like a .ISO DVD-image, or a TrueCrypt/BestCrypt encrypted drive?[/quote]

I have BitDefender Internet Security 2011 which I leave running to take advantage of live protection. I shall turn this off and then run synchronization again to see what happens.

All three of my hard drives reside on my PC and none are virtual. My system drive and backup drive are both single units but my Data is stored on a dual drive RAID 1 array. I Use synchronization between my RAID 1 array and my backup drive.

I shall report back when I have performed another test.

[quote="Chevalier"][quote="leo"]WaitForMultipleObjectsEx may indicate a hardware driver, virtual/network-filesystem driver, or real-time anti-virus scanner has caused a deadlock (two things both waiting for something the other one owns, so neither can ever continue).

What kind of drives are you copying from and to? Network or local? Anything 'virtual' or 'mounted', like a .ISO DVD-image, or a TrueCrypt/BestCrypt encrypted drive?[/quote]

I have BitDefender Internet Security 2011 which I leave running to take advantage of live protection. I shall turn this off and then run synchronization again to see what happens.

All three of my hard drives reside on my PC and none are virtual. My system drive and backup drive are both single units but my Data is stored on a dual drive RAID 1 array. I Use synchronization between my RAID 1 array and my backup drive.

I shall report back when I have performed another test.[/quote]

I have disabled BitDefender and run synchronization again. After a while it produced a BSOD again and generated a Crash Dump. The BSOD explained the crash was caused by IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE. The following is a summary of the Crash Dump:-

"Error: IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread is returning to user mode from a system call when its IRQL is still above PASSIVE_LEVEL.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: Unknown"

Having eliminated BitDefender as the cause of the problem we now turn to the next likely culprit - do you have any suggestions?

"A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error" -- Does it say what the driver is?

I'm not an expert in deciphering BSOD crash message so you may get better results asking on a general Windows support forum (but I'll still help here with any ideas I can think of). There are tools people can use which look into the BSOD crash-dumps, FWIW; I followed some guides and used them once a long time ago, but I've forgotten all the details now. :frowning:

[quote="leo"]"A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error" -- Does it say what the driver is?

I'm not an expert in deciphering BSOD crash message so you may get better results asking on a general Windows support forum (but I'll still help here with any ideas I can think of). There are tools people can use which look into the BSOD crash-dumps, FWIW; I followed some guides and used them once a long time ago, but I've forgotten all the details now. :frowning:[/quote]

It states that the driver is unknown - see above.

I am using two tools to look at the crash dump (WhoCrashed and Microsoft Windbg) and, thankfully, both provide the same information.

I will try other forums to see if I can find a solution.

[quote="Chevalier"][quote="leo"]"A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error" -- Does it say what the driver is?

I'm not an expert in deciphering BSOD crash message so you may get better results asking on a general Windows support forum (but I'll still help here with any ideas I can think of). There are tools people can use which look into the BSOD crash-dumps, FWIW; I followed some guides and used them once a long time ago, but I've forgotten all the details now. :frowning:[/quote]

It states that the driver is unknown - see above.

I am using two tools to look at the crash dump (WhoCrashed and Microsoft Windbg) and, thankfully, both provide the same information.

I will try other forums to see if I can find a solution.[/quote]

I have completed my research and found advice from Microsoft for resolving BSOD issues. In addition to the usual driver update recommendations, they also recommend identifying whether any new applications gave rise to the problem and, if so, remove them and test whether the BSOD still exists. In my case I know already that the only time I get a BSOD is when I use Directory Opus 10 to synchronize disks so I un-installed it and re-installed Directory Opus 9. I then ran a synchronization and the task was completed without a problem. I am aware that this may not be the root cause of the problem, however, I need a system that works and so I shall continue to use Directory Opus 9 for synchronization until I find that someone has identified and resolved the BSOD issue.

Thank you to everyone for trying to resolve this problem.