DOpus 11.10 Pro - copy a 26GB file needs double time

Hello,

at the moment i test different GB switches... now i found this out:

I want to copy a 26GB backup file from my Synology DiskStation DS213+ to my PC on a Samsung 840Pro SSD.

1. Directory Opus Pro 11.10 (x64) own copy = 10 minutes and 24 seconds

2. Windows 8.1 (x64) explorer copy = 5 minutes and 4 seconds

Why?

Thank you very much!

Copy speed is a very complex issue and we cannot tell you why without being able to examine your system and repeat the tests. It can be influenced by antivirus, firewall, caching, buffer size, drivers, network hardware, NAS firmware, differences in how things report speed (and when the operation finishes), and more.

(Do not rule out NAS firmware. Several times now we've seen devices only initially tested with Explorer which run very slowly if anything copies to them even slightly differently, which were fixed by firmware updates.)

Within Opus itself, this setting can influence copy speed in some situations (usually when some device or low-level software in the chain has pathological issues with certain buffer sizes):

Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: copy_buffer_size

This setting can also be important, although it should not affect writing to network folders (only how fast data is read or written on the local side; that could still be a factor, of course, since you are reading from a local drive):

Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: copy_nonbufferio_threshold

Apart from that, Opus just reads data in a loop on one thread, and writes data in a loop on another thread, as fast as the underlying components will process the requests, meaning the other factors are external to Opus.

can you please delete above post? cant edit it...

Hi leo,

thanks for you reply!

First informations:

i dont use any extra antivirus (only the Windows 8.1 thing).

My tests:

copy a 26gb backup file from Macrium Reflect Pro v5.3.2756 (newest version) from Synology DiskStation DS213+ (newest firmware installed) to my c: drive a Samsung 840pro 512GB SSD
my PC: 4960X, Asus Rampage Extreme IV Black, 64GB DDR3-1600 Kingston memory, EVGA Titan Blacks SLI

1. Windows 8.1 own copy command = 4 minutes and 50 seconds with a 2m lan-cable (InLine 76802S Patchcable (S/FTP (PiMf), 500MHz, Category 6A, 2m) black) Windows own copy speed is max 95,5 MB/s, lowest 89MB/s, most about 90 MB/s

(file copy on top of the desktop move it from the rigt DOpus windows directly to the desktop)

1. Directory Opus Pro 11.10 own copy command = 8 minutes and 54 seconds with a 2m lan-cable (InLine 76802S Patchcable (S/FTP (PiMf), 500MHz, Category 6A, 2m) black) DOpus copy speed is max 50,1 MB/s

(file copy on desktop move it from the right DOpus windows to the left DOpus window)

It doesn't matter if i use a
NETGEAR ProSafe Plus Unmanaged Switch - GS108Ev3 or a Cisco Small Business SG 100D-08 8-Port Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000
both have near the same speed during repeating the tests.

Windows Defender in Win8 is a full antivirus and has caused sever slowdowns for some people (both in and out of Opus), so it shouldn't be discounted as a possible factor (although I'm not saying it definitely is one either).

How many times did you repeat esch test?

Have you tested with other NAS devices?

What does the Task Manager network graph show, in terms of both throughput and duration of transfers (which may still be sending buffered data after some applications say the copy is complete)?

Does the network graph show any significant network usage before the copy begins?

Does closing all Opus windows, except the copy progress dialog, make any difference?

Have you tried different buffer sizes, as suggested above?