DOpus 11: Crash while browsing

Hi,

While directory browsing (mostly media files) using every beta of DO11 the program crashes and I am presented with a window with the DOpus logo and a wee ladybug icon. Restarting the program and then start browsing and the program crashes yet again.

I have narrowed it down to the MultiView plugin which I have disabled. Now everything seems to be OK. Is it OK to leave this MultiView plugin disabled as it is supplied with DOpus.

Windows 8.1 x64 with 16GB Ram. DOpus 11 Beta 9.

Thanks,

John

Yes, it's fine. Multiview is disabled by default, in fact.

The crash is probably in the 3rd party DLLs which Multiview can talk to. Some versions are buggy and/or incompatible with the way the plugin uses them. It's a plugin you can usually do without unless you want some of the esoteric file formats that it can view, or have no other way of viewing Word files (i.e. no Office install).

Hi Leo,

Turns out it wasn't the MultiView plugin. Still crashes while browsing certain folders. I have tried disabling all plugins to no avail. Any idea what I can do next to try and resolve this.

Thanks,

John

What sort of files are in the folder?

Hi Jon,

Mixture of ape, flac, mp3 files.

John

If you have Icaros installed (and it comes with some codec packs so you might without realising), it is probably that, from recent reports and the fact flac files are involved.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

I have no codec packs installed on my system. System was re-installed a few weeks ago with Win 8.1 x64.

I use JRiver MediaCenter to play my flac files and that doesn't use Icaros either.

John

Cab you isolate the problem to a small number of files? Might make sense to send them to us abd see if we can repro the problem. That'll let us quickly see if it's likely to be Opus itself or something unique to your system.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, been real busy with work.

Anyway, I would rather not send any files as they are copyrighted however I have found that I get the same crash browsing other non media folders as well. It does it more when accessing server shares either via mapped drive or direct UNC paths, however it does do it on local folders too, just not as often.

Is there any way I can log everything including the crash as it's driving me nuts. I know it's a beta and these things are to be expected but right now I am seriously thinking of going back to DOpus 10 as it's slowing me down.

Thanks guys,

John

Crash dumps for bug reports has info on how to find a crash dump if one was created.

If there is a dump matching the date and time of the crash, zip and email it to jon@gpsoft.com.au and hopefully Jon can see if it shows anything that helps.

Thanks Leo,

I have zipped them all up and sent them off to Jon for analysis. Hopefully he can sort me out.

John

A DLL called "jrtools.dll" seems to be implicated - do you have any idea what that might be?

jrtools.dll is probably JRiver Media Center's shell integration dll (for context menus). Sometimes it is locked by some process, and a user will update MediaCenter, and not follow directions to reboot (to allow the update of jrtools.dll).

Hi Jon,

I have JRiver MediaCenter installed and jrtools.dll is the shell integration however I don't have shell integration selected in the program.

John

Try disabling the shell extension using ShellExView. It's probably still there at all times, just not adding menu items when that option is turned off (but still being called).

Hi Leo,

I disabled it and so far touch wood everything is OK.

Bought my upgrade to V11.

Thanks for your help.

John