Crash after vising C:\Windows\Assembly folder

Accidentally opened the c:\windows\assembly folder. When I clicked the correct folder all my dopus windows closed. It is repeatable. Here is the error.

Faulting application name: dopus.exe, version: 13.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x661c84a7
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.3374, time stamp: 0xeae8eecc
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010c169
Faulting process id: 0x0x31B4

Thanks.

Please send the crash log(s) to us: Automatic crash logs (for bug reports)

I recreated the error but No crash log found.

If you paste /temp/DOpus.Minidumps into the Opus path field and push return, are any files listed there?

No DOpus.Minidumps listed anywhere.

1 Like

If you install Directory Opus 13.5.4 (Beta) (or later, if appropriate at the time you read this), does the problem still happen with that?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue so far, but it could be something we've already fixed in the newer betas.

It may also be worth checking what happens if you do the same thing in File Explorer, in case the issue is with Microsoft's custom handler for the Assembly folder.

Still happens with 13.5.4 beta. Does not happen with Explorer. Not that big a deal since it only happens in that one folder and I typically don't go there. Thanks for looking.

Doesn't happen for me either (13.5.4).

**CURRENT SYSTEM INFO**
Directory Opus: 13.5.4 Build 8880 x64
Hardware: Intel i7-1065G7 • 16GB RAM

I am able to recreate this:

Go to C:\Windows\Assembly
In same tab, go to C:\Program Files via a shortcut or the breadcrumb dropdown in the file display toolbar

DOpus freezes, closes, and reopens to default lister

That also works OK for me.

Directory Opus: 13.5 Build 8871
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X • 64GB RAM

I to have been unable to get mine to crash, even with Chuck's instructions. I have zero antivirus installed (Even Defender has been removed).

Does not happen in File Explorer. Tried disabling all scripts, exited both dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe, then restarted. Going from C:\Windows\Assembly to other folders on the same tab, whether by shortcut or the breadcrumb dropdown causes the lister to close and, after a few seconds, open to the default lister. Hitting the back button to go to the prior folder results in the same thing.

That said, DO does NOT generate a crash log.

I've reproduced the crash as well now.

At least for the time being, you can avoid it by adding C:\Windows\Assembly to the list of folders to treat as real under Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / File System.

Thank You! Excellent support. I was just about to re-install windows thinking I had a damaged install.

I think I've found the cause of the crash, too, which boils down to a documentation error in the Windows API regarding whose responsibility it is to free something.

I've added a workaround that should prevent the crash (and where the code is correct for both what Microsoft's API docs say, and what the reality seems to be, covering all our bases). That will be in the next update.

Edit: The cause turned out to be more complex than just a documentation error, but the fix works regardless.

2 Likes

13.5.5 solves the issue.

Thanks @Leo

1 Like